PG8X crashing Reason 10.3

Discuss VST stuff here!
Garven

25 Apr 2019

Ever since I updated to Reason 10.3, whenever I try using PG8X, if I have a bank loaded and try to change patches by clicking on the patch name either in the plugin or in Reason, it crashes and closes Reason completely. No warning messages, nothing!

Anyone else running into this problem?

miscend

25 Apr 2019

I can recreate this bug on my end. The plugin was working perfectly prior to 10.3.

Also the built in chorus effect in PG8X sounds slightly different when you switch to the the new buffer mode.

sleep1979

25 Apr 2019

I haven't tried that in 10.3 i was using it a while ago but have uninstalled it coz i got phonec 2 , i may install again have a try

riemac

25 Apr 2019

PG-8x is crashing in Reason 10.3 on my win8.1 system as well. Last weekend I filled a bugreport on the Propellerhead support page and contacted the developer Martin lueders of the VST.

Please do the same, so that Propellerhead fixes this problem as fast as possible. PG-8X is one of my favorite VST's.
Last edited by riemac on 25 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

hurricane
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2019

Seems to be working fine on my Mac.

This is one of those free plugins where if the dev seriously updated it with a better browser, resizable GUI, and a few extras here and there, I would pay at least $99 for it right now.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2019

Same here, Reason crashes when clicking around in the plugin.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

25 Apr 2019

hurricane wrote:
25 Apr 2019

This is one of those free plugins where if the dev seriously updated it with a better browser, resizable GUI, and a few extras here and there, I would pay at least $99 for it right now.
I'm curious if it has ever been updated? Or if the dev has just not updated the version number when updating the plugin?

I have the latest and redownloaded it to be certain... Under 'Get Info' it says Version: 1.0.0 and Created/Modified: July 11, 2016

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2019

joeyluck wrote:
25 Apr 2019
hurricane wrote:
25 Apr 2019

I'm curious if it has ever been updated? Or if the dev has just not updated the version number when updating the plugin?

I have the latest and redownloaded it to be certain... Under 'Get Info' it says Version: 1.0.0 and Created/Modified: July 11, 2016
https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/
Latest version is 2.0.13 from Jul 12, 2016 so that "Get info" is probably wrong. While not updated in recent years, 2.0.13 at least sounds like there have been several updates.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

25 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
25 Apr 2019
joeyluck wrote:
25 Apr 2019

https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/
Latest version is 2.0.13 from Jul 12, 2016 so that "Get info" is probably wrong. While not updated in recent years, 2.0.13 at least sounds like there have been several updates.
You're right. And I somehow looked right past the zip file name. It's also v.1 according to Google Sites, only meaning that the download itself wasn't updated and replaced, but likely instead the old was removed and the new version added. But yeah, macOS thinks it's version 1.

Garven

25 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
25 Apr 2019
I`m able to click the buttons in PG8X to load a bank or switch from one patch to the next using the arrow buttons in the VST but as soon as I click on the patchname in the VST or in Reason, the crash happens.

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2019

Garven wrote:
25 Apr 2019
diminished wrote:
25 Apr 2019
I`m able to click the buttons in PG8X to load a bank or switch from one patch to the next using the arrow buttons in the VST but as soon as I click on the patchname in the VST or in Reason, the crash happens.
Can confirm, that's causing the crash.

raymondh

26 Apr 2019

hurricane wrote:
25 Apr 2019

I agree.

I'm a bit bittersweet about it, because it sounds so close to my real JX-8P, that it doesn't make the hardware feel as special now! :)

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2019

raymondh wrote:
26 Apr 2019
hurricane wrote:
25 Apr 2019

I agree.

I'm a bit bittersweet about it, because it sounds so close to my real JX-8P, that it doesn't make the hardware feel as special now! :)
That randomize button is my new best friend. Seriously, all synths should have that.

MLVST

30 Apr 2019

Hi! Martin (MLVST) here.

As I cannot recreate the problem with my DAW (I do not own Reason), what is the best thing I can do to help?
Does the Demo version (or even the starter version, if necessary) allow to be run through a debugger?

Do any of the Reason devs already have some more clues what causes the crash?

Let's hope we can fix that soon.

Martin

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2019

MLVST wrote:
30 Apr 2019
Hi! Martin (MLVST) here.

As I cannot recreate the problem with my DAW (I do not own Reason), what is the best thing I can do to help?
Does the Demo version (or even the starter version, if necessary) allow to be run through a debugger?

Do any of the Reason devs already have some more clues what causes the crash?

Let's hope we can fix that soon.

Martin
Hi Martin, so nice of you to come by! Thanks for your effort to fix this in advance!

I'm not with Propellerhead nor is this an "official" forum, but sometimes they are reading here. The best course of action is probably to contact them directly via email.
You could also download the demo version of Reason 10, it's fully functional for 30 days and runs in demo mode after that (no saving). That way, hopefully you can recreate the bug (Windows 10, Reason 10.3 - clicking on the patch browser crashes Reason) and check what PG-8X is doing. If that's possible of course, I don't know anything about VST debugging.

I wish I could be of more help. If there is anything I can do, please let me and the rest of us know.

Garven

30 Apr 2019

I received and email from Propellerheads support stating that they're looking into reports of several VSTs not working with 10.3, so they're definitely aware of the issue. For now they advised downloading 10.3 if any problem VST is critical to a user's workflow. Hopefully they'll resolve the problem as PG8X was working flawlessly in 10.2.

miscend

01 May 2019

Garven wrote:
30 Apr 2019
I received and email from Propellerheads support stating that they're looking into reports of several VSTs not working with 10.3, so they're definitely aware of the issue. For now they advised downloading 10.3 if any problem VST is critical to a user's workflow. Hopefully they'll resolve the problem as PG8X was working flawlessly in 10.2.
What were the beta testers doing?

diminished
Competition Winner

02 May 2019

Oh since you asked, they reported things and were told that it's the VSTs fault, even though it was working in 10.2.
This was after their ASIO drivers stopped working, which were also fine previously.

But sure, it's the beta testers who messed this up.

miscend

02 May 2019

diminished wrote:
02 May 2019

But sure, it's the beta testers who messed this up.
No it isn’t their fault if these things were reported.

joeyluck

02 May 2019

miscend wrote:
01 May 2019
Garven wrote:
30 Apr 2019
What were the beta testers doing?
Testing the plugins they own :) on the systems they use... There's so many different plugins out there and different configurations of systems (such as OS and OS version) I can't imagine every possibility can be found given the countless plugins out there. So just has to be tackled as people report issues.

diminished
Competition Winner

23 May 2019

raymondh wrote:
23 May 2019
confirming PG8X is working fine for me in 10.4
:thumbs_up: updated my thread. Awesome.

• Information