Aly James Lab VPROM

Discuss VST stuff here!
Creativemind

19 Apr 2019

Hi All!

I've just been watching a Dr.Mix video on You Tube of him recreating Michael Jackson's Thriller. The main synth sound was done using a Roland Jupiter 8, the bass was done using a Mini Moog, there was a Rhodes Piano in it too and an electric guitar doing a bit bits in it as well. Watching the actual video as well, there were church organs in it but not sure if that was just added to the video as it was the official zombie video I watched and the organ was in an inbetween bit. Anyway, so to the drums, the drums were the Linn Drum. Very nice sound.

So, my question is (really tempted buy it, the VST is only €45 (£38.93 currently)) who has the Aly James Lab VPROM and do they recommend it? does it stack up to the real thing? There's also the Quadelectra Jackbox L1M Drum Re, wonder how that stacks up too?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2019

Creativemind wrote:
19 Apr 2019
Hi All!

I've just been watching a Dr.Mix video on You Tube of him recreating Michael Jackson's Thriller. The main synth sound was done using a Roland Jupiter 8, the bass was done using a Mini Moog, there was a Rhodes Piano in it too and an electric guitar doing a bit bits in it as well. Watching the actual video as well, there were church organs in it but not sure if that was just added to the video as it was the official zombie video I watched and the organ was in an inbetween bit. Anyway, so to the drums, the drums were the Linn Drum. Very nice sound.

So, my question is (really tempted buy it, the VST is only €45 (£38.93 currently)) who has the Aly James Lab VPROM and do they recommend it? does it stack up to the real thing? There's also the Quadelectra Jackbox L1M Drum Re, wonder how that stacks up too?

Thanks!
No experience with that plugin, but there are plenty of free L1M samples online, just saying :) I also believe Umpf Retro has them, just look at the design of that thing.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

I have both, and VPROM is my favorite no doubt. A s for authenticity, you can load the Linn's EPROM (and EPROMs from other classic drum machines) straight into it without having to use a converter like in Quadelectra's. And I think to use Quad's converter you have to install some Adobe shit. However, you can instead load wav/aiff samples into L1M, but if you're really anal like I am, you'd load the actual hardware EPROM yourself for unquestionable authenticity. For whatever reason, the default patches on each are different - and I guess I really mean the snares. One's shorter and more stubby, the other is splashier and a bit longer, so which one is the real linn snare? I have no goddamn idea, and when I listen to various linn drum demos on youtube they all sound different. So I said fuck it and found some OG Linn EPROMs online and loaded them myself so that I was 100% sure I was using the original hardware sounds.

VPROM's GUI is also outstanding (and not teeny tiny like the L1m) :

vprom.png
vprom.png (858.6 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

raymondh

20 Apr 2019

I've just ordered Aly James' updated Simmons SDS emulation. It sounds fantastic on YT, quite a lot better than the samples I've been using. If it works well I might end up getting this VPROM too!

eusti

20 Apr 2019

raymondh wrote:
20 Apr 2019
I've just ordered Aly James' updated Simmons SDS emulation. It sounds fantastic on YT, quite a lot better than the samples I've been using. If it works well I might end up getting this VPROM too!
Just beware that VSDSX is only AU for Mac. I had wrongly assumed that - like VPROM - there was an VST version as well.
Oh, well... ;/

D.

raymondh

20 Apr 2019

eusti wrote:
20 Apr 2019
raymondh wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Just beware that VSDSX is only AU for Mac. I had wrongly assumed that - like VPROM - there was an VST version as well.
Oh, well... ;/

D.
It's PC 64 bit too now (version 2 has just been released).I have my license and it is working well under 10.3 :)

eusti

20 Apr 2019

raymondh wrote:
20 Apr 2019
eusti wrote:
20 Apr 2019

Oh, well... ;/

D.
It's PC 64 bit too now (version 2 has just been released).I have my license and it is working well under 10.3 :)
Yes. PC 64 bit VST and Mac AU in VSDSX 2. But no VST for Mac unfortunately.

D.

Creativemind

21 Apr 2019

I did watch a comparison video on You Tube the other night though of the VPROM and the Lin Drum (real thing) and the actual analog machine was better.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

two shoes

25 Apr 2019

the Linndrum jackbox RE sounds great - does this thing do anything it doesn't?

• Information