FabFilter Aniversary Sale 40%

Discuss VST stuff here!
Loque

16 Apr 2019

Due to the downtime of RT i post it again:
https://www.fabfilter.com/shop/
https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=5072
https://plugindiscounts.com/product/fab ... al-bundle/

Does anybody know any details on special offers atm if you buy just one or two fx from FabFilter?
Reason12, Win10

antic604

16 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Does anybody know any details on special offers atm if you buy just one or two fx from FabFilter?
Set up an account and from there you will see customised offer depending on current discount and stuff you already have. I find FF very fair - I currently pondering on getting Pro-R and Timeless 2 and I see a discounts of 60% and 64% respectively! If you don't have anything then probably on 1st plugin you'll "only" see the 40%, but the next one will be around 45%, next one around 50%, etc. It's a clever system, because it discourages people from getting their stuff at re-sellers like audiodeluxe.com that'll only match the "base" discount.

Loque

16 Apr 2019

antic604 wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Loque wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Set up an account and from there you will see customised offer depending on current discount and stuff you already have. I find FF very fair - I currently pondering on getting Pro-R and Timeless 2 and I see a discounts of 60% and 64% respectively! If you don't have anything then probably on 1st plugin you'll "only" see the 40%, but the next one will be around 45%, next one around 50%, etc. It's a clever system, because it discourages people from getting their stuff at re-sellers like audiodeluxe.com that'll only match the "base" discount.
Thanks for the info. I do not have an account and cannot create one without buying. So i just was wondering if it would be better to buy just one or two and than "complete" everything else what i want or a bundle.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

16 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Thanks for the info. I do not have an account and cannot create one without buying. So i just was wondering if it would be better to buy just one or two and than "complete" everything else what i want or a bundle.
In my case it was making sense to get 1st via audiodeluxe.com, because I paid the same nominal amount (I think it was 69) in $ instead of EUR, but then I got remaining plugins via FF, to get better discount that was exceeding the currency difference. If you live in $ country, then this shouldn't matter for the 1st plugin, but next ones get directly from FF.

EnochLight

16 Apr 2019

Man this is so tempting. I already have Ozone 8 Advanced and Neutron 2 Advanced, so most of FF's modules are already covered, but FF's ability to scale full-screen with that glorious GUI/UX makes it reaaaaaaaaaaaally tempting!

Can anyone tell me if FF's modules have interplugin communication like iZotope's?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ScuzzyEye

16 Apr 2019

EnochLight wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Can anyone tell me if FF's modules have interplugin communication like iZotope's?
They do not. That's the one thing that kept me from jumping in completely with FabFilter. Some can accept side-chain inputs, but you have to wire them in the rack, not simply pick another plug-in from a list.

I did pick up the Pro-R because (at the time) iZotope didn't have a reverb. (BTW, I did get the stereo pack of Exponential Audio's reverbs, and Pro-R is still a better reverb.)

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2019

I snagged Saturn for $43 from the deal within my account.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

16 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
16 Apr 2019
EnochLight wrote:
16 Apr 2019
They do not. That's the one thing that kept me from jumping in completely with FabFilter. Some can accept side-chain inputs, but you have to wire them in the rack, not simply pick another plug-in from a list.

I did pick up the Pro-R because (at the time) iZotope didn't have a reverb. (BTW, I did get the stereo pack of Exponential Audio's reverbs, and Pro-R is still a better reverb.)
Thanks. Yeah, Pro-R looks pretty bad ass, it's just that I have so many reverbs already, I don't think I really need another. I was just interested in their mastering line, and in particular their compressors and eq's. I've grown to rely on iZotope's interplugin communication and don't think I want to give that up just yet.

Cheers
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PeterP

17 Apr 2019

EnochLight wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Pro-Q 3 has a bit of that. It can show frequency collisions and external spectrum overlay.

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

PeterP wrote:
17 Apr 2019
EnochLight wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Pro-Q 3 has a bit of that. It can show frequency collisions and external spectrum overlay.
Well, what do you know, I missed that when I was reading about it the first time.

- EQ Match feature to automatically match the spectrum of another Pro-Q 3 instance or an external signal
- Built-in spectrum analyzer with Pre-EQ, Post-EQ and external spectrum visualization, adjustable range, speed, resolution, tilt, freeze and collision detection

They have screens showing it in the help doc too: https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/using/analyzer

That makes it a little more interesting. iZotope's Neptune EQ does do a little more with the IPC, in that you can not only display other plug-ins, but adjust their settings (either manually or automatically) while viewing something like frequency collisions.

EnochLight

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
iZotope's Neptune EQ does do a little more with the IPC, in that you can not only display other plug-ins, but adjust their settings (either manually or automatically) while viewing something like frequency collisions.
This right here is what makes iZotope's approach so much more valuable to me - I love this feature!

Loque

17 Apr 2019

EnochLight wrote:
17 Apr 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
iZotope's Neptune EQ does do a little more with the IPC, in that you can not only display other plug-ins, but adjust their settings (either manually or automatically) while viewing something like frequency collisions.
This right here is what makes iZotope's approach so much more valuable to me - I love this feature!
The manual says:
https://www.fabfilter.com/help/ffproq3-manual.pdf
Improved spectrum analyzer with frequency collision indication and the option to show the spectrum of
any other Pro-Q 3 instance: simply hover over the analyzer button in the bottom bar and choose another
Pro-Q 3 plug-in instance here. Instances are named automatically and can be renamed if needed.
Reason12, Win10

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
17 Apr 2019
The manual says:
Improved spectrum analyzer with frequency collision indication and the option to show the spectrum of
any other Pro-Q 3 instance: simply hover over the analyzer button in the bottom bar and choose another
Pro-Q 3 plug-in instance here. Instances are named automatically and can be renamed if needed.
The way it work in Neutron is almost the same, but you can adjust both instances, not just the one you opened.

Say I'm EQing a bass to make room for a kick. I've opened the bass EQ, and am showing the kick frequency. I can now make a cut to the bass. But let's say I actually want to boost something on the kick. With Pro-Q I'd have to open the kick EQ and make the changes there. With Neutron I can do it right there in the same window.

May not seem like the biggest deal, but when looking for/adjusting collisions between multiple tracks at the same time, it definitely makes things quicker/easier.

Really though, both products are very similar. It comes down to which company you started to buy into first. There's no reason to buy both, and not enough difference to lure me to the other side. At least for mixing/master tools.

EnochLight

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Loque wrote:
17 Apr 2019
The manual says:
The way it work in Neutron is almost the same, but you can adjust both instances, not just the one you opened.

Say I'm EQing a bass to make room for a kick. I've opened the bass EQ, and am showing the kick frequency. I can now make a cut to the bass. But let's say I actually want to boost something on the kick. With Pro-Q I'd have to open the kick EQ and make the changes there. With Neutron I can do it right there in the same window.

May not seem like the biggest deal, but when looking for/adjusting collisions between multiple tracks at the same time, it definitely makes things quicker/easier.

Really though, both products are very similar. It comes down to which company you started to buy into first. There's no reason to buy both, and not enough difference to lure me to the other side. At least for mixing/master tools.
^^ THIS ^^

I'll stick to Neutron/Ozone for now. As tempting as FF stuff is, it just doesn't make sense for me to start a whole new ecosystem to buy into. They're decent sale prices, for sure though. But a lot more expensive than iZotope's offering if I were to pick up everything I needed to compete.

Loque

18 Apr 2019

Great video i just watched explaining Linear Phase, correlations between filters and frequency response and lots of other stuff. It opened my eyes:
https://www.fabfilter.com/video/#eq-lin ... imum-phase
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Great video i just watched explaining Linear Phase, correlations between filters and frequency response and lots of other stuff. It opened my eyes:
Indeed a great video. What it doesn't mention though, is that linear phase filters (FIR, finite impulse response) require many many more filter coefficients to be calculated and therefore are heavy on the cpu.
Also, as soon as you intruduce another effect or EQ or whatever, anything you thought you had under control will eventually slip out of your hands and may not be as logical as this simple example suggests.
So bottom line is, (generally) don't use FIR filters for filter movements, but in surgical applications on the end of your signal chain.
And: Trust. Your. Ears.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

antic604

18 Apr 2019

EnochLight wrote:
17 Apr 2019
They're decent sale prices, for sure though. But a lot more expensive than iZotope's offering if I were to pick up everything I needed to compete.
I thought as much for months, but then I realised I only used Neutron 2 once, and since I got FabFilter stuff I use it all the time - they're much more flexible and faster to work with, not to mention much prettier. And - surprisingly - lighter on the CPU as well, because all the fancy graphics is off-loaded to the GPU.

The only advantage Neutron has is that most of their modules (or plugins, if you have Advanced version) are multiband, which can be very handy.

Loque

18 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Indeed a great video. What it doesn't mention though, is that linear phase filters (FIR, finite impulse response) require many many more filter coefficients to be calculated and therefore are heavy on the cpu.
Also, as soon as you intruduce another effect or EQ or whatever, anything you thought you had under control will eventually slip out of your hands and may not be as logical as this simple example suggests.
So bottom line is, (generally) don't use FIR filters for filter movements, but in surgical applications on the end of your signal chain.
Nead to learn this things a bit more, and yea, i need to "hear" more...
Reason12, Win10

Loque

18 Apr 2019

Just had time to check out the stuff from Fabfilter and yea, i am impressed. Very good, fast workflow, great GUI, awsome sound quality. Lots of patches to browse and to experiment. Guess i found my new workhorses...

The EQ is a must imo, the rest is something you can considere if you need it, but also great stuff. I was waiting a long time for a good deal with iZotope and always thought, "guys, what you were thinking about workflow and the GUI...". Fabfilter stuff is great in those things, well for the EQ and stuff...The Synth things is kinda..."yea, we try if it works..."
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Apr 2019

Nead to learn this things a bit more, and yea, i need to "hear" more...
"Filter design" is what you'll find this under, in the books and on the internet. Happy reading. The most comprehensive book you can find is probably "Digital Signal Processing" by Proakis/Manolakis. Special shout out to the RE "Forgotten Convolver" - it's a great didactic tool, where you have frequency response, impulse response and z-plane all in one place.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

18 Apr 2019

What also impress me much, is the lightweight of the download and setup, just a few MB. The performance is also very good. If i compare this to a simple phaser from NI which needs more than 100mb and is just a phaser... Yea, i would call this "german efficiency"
ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif
ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif (991.32 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

18 Apr 2019

antic604 wrote:
18 Apr 2019
EnochLight wrote:
17 Apr 2019
They're decent sale prices, for sure though. But a lot more expensive than iZotope's offering if I were to pick up everything I needed to compete.
I thought as much for months, but then I realised I only used Neutron 2 once, and since I got FabFilter stuff I use it all the time - they're much more flexible and faster to work with, not to mention much prettier. And - surprisingly - lighter on the CPU as well, because all the fancy graphics is off-loaded to the GPU.

The only advantage Neutron has is that most of their modules (or plugins, if you have Advanced version) are multiband, which can be very handy.
I've got Advanced, so I have them as single plugins, and yeah - the multiband part is killer (as is the interplugin communication). I'm actually a huge fan of their GUI/UX - I find muted the greys very easy on the eyes for my workflow. :thumbs_up:

antic604

19 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Yea, i would call this "german efficiency"
FabFilter are Dutch :D

antic604

19 Apr 2019

EnochLight wrote:
18 Apr 2019
I've got Advanced, so I have them as single plugins, and yeah - the multiband part is killer (as is the interplugin communication). I'm actually a huge fan of their GUI/UX - I find muted the greys very easy on the eyes for my workflow. :thumbs_up:
Being a Bitwig (and earlier Renoise) user I like their muted color palette as well, but the GUIs are way too small - they feel cramped, with too much bloat on the borders and not enough space for the actual "meat". Hopefully they'll take some design cues from FF for N3/O9 and in particular make them resizeable.

Loque

19 Apr 2019

antic604 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Yea, i would call this "german efficiency"
FabFilter are Dutch :D
Never heard "Dutch efficiency"... Maybe it's time to define it... And what picture would show this?

Reason12, Win10

• Information