Tolerance Modeling?

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2019

There's also a "SPREAD" on each oscillator in Oberhausen, which is almost maxed out on one OSC, and at a little less than half on the other. Arturia's SEM doesn't have a spread function. So....tricks are for kids, Plugin-Guru. :thumbs_down:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

bitley

10 Apr 2019

Hm well Arturia has completely flexible panning, should by pretty good spread on that?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2019

Se7en wrote:
10 Apr 2019
I'm not sure how Legend got brought up concerning this Oberheim SEM emulation.
Because The Legend is the benchmark for VA mono synths, AND it does have a 12dB filter setting so the filter sound isn't that far off of a SEM. So, there is a big overlap in what they can do. It does sound nice though.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2019

bitley wrote:
10 Apr 2019
Hm well Arturia has completely flexible panning, should by pretty good spread on that?
Well , I'm talking about the patch comparisons in the video. Whether SEMV2 can do spread is a different topic.

I don't even like the SEM. I just have it because I got it in the V Collection. But for PG to say that Arturia can't do the TMT thing - that's just misleading because it can do that. He picked a dry Arturia patch with no "TMT" programmed in. And then he claims Oberhausen has a liveliness that Arturia's version doesn't - ha, well that's because if you look at the "liveliness" section on the SEMV2, there is no liveliness programmed! It's blank! You can easily add some, geeze!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

tallguy

11 Apr 2019

I've been testing the Arturia and the Oberhausen side by side. Starting from a simple sawtooth, dialling in values and trying to match both. So far, I've only been comparing the features they both share. The biggest differences I found so far:

- The envelopes behave differently, the curves of the Arturia sound a bit more linear. Filtersweeps end up sounding different.
- There's very little difference between the filters as long as you stick to BP, LP or HP. Things change as soon as you start playing with the Notch. Turn the VCF mode 40% to Notch and the Oberhausen really starts to fizz unlike the Arturia.
- Same for turning up the resonance, the Oberhausen sounds more pronounced.
- I came to realise that with the Arturia, you have to be careful dialling in a square as it comes in much louder than a sawtooth. Lots of dials have very different response curves. What is 40% on the Arturia will correspond with 30% on the Oberhausen.
- On that subject, and this is totally subjective, the Oberhausen responds nicer to dialling in values, it's easier to find the sweet spots. Although it's a bit overly sensitive for me as a Wacom user.

Loque

11 Apr 2019

tallguy wrote:
11 Apr 2019
I've been testing the Arturia and the Oberhausen side by side. Starting from a simple sawtooth, dialling in values and trying to match both. So far, I've only been comparing the features they both share. The biggest differences I found so far:

- The envelopes behave differently, the curves of the Arturia sound a bit more linear. Filtersweeps end up sounding different.
- There's very little difference between the filters as long as you stick to BP, LP or HP. Things change as soon as you start playing with the Notch. Turn the VCF mode 40% to Notch and the Oberhausen really starts to fizz unlike the Arturia.
- Same for turning up the resonance, the Oberhausen sounds more pronounced.
- I came to realise that with the Arturia, you have to be careful dialling in a square as it comes in much louder than a sawtooth. Lots of dials have very different response curves. What is 40% on the Arturia will correspond with 30% on the Oberhausen.
- On that subject, and this is totally subjective, the Oberhausen responds nicer to dialling in values, it's easier to find the sweet spots. Although it's a bit overly sensitive for me as a Wacom user.
Thanks for this comparison. I could now ask, how do both compare to a real Oberhausen, but i am not really interested. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Arturia SEM is good enough for me so i do not need the bx one. I would still buy it if there are very different and good patches and the price is down to 49,- with a 30,- voucher.
Reason12, Win10

tallguy

11 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
11 Apr 2019

Thanks for this comparison. I could now ask, how do both compare to a real Oberhausen, but i am not really interested. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Arturia SEM is good enough for me so i do not need the bx one. I would still buy it if there are very different and good patches and the price is down to 49,- with a 30,- voucher.
90% of the time, you probably won't notice the difference. Specially if you drop it in a mix.

That said, on the Arturia, the ability to continuously move from LP to Notch to HP never made much sense in terms of sound design to me. On the Oberhausen, it does seem to make sense, I came across at least one patch on the Oberhausen that sounded unlike anything I would hear from the Arturia. And that was down to the Notch sounding much more pronounced on the Oberhausen. Maybe that's what a real SEM style filter sounds like, I wouldn't know, but it certainly ads something the Arturia doesn't do.

Is that enough to warrant the rumoured high price? Depends on your needs/wallet

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2019

One is Oberhausen and one is Europa, can anyone guess? :D

I know they are different synths, just thought it was interesting how close you can get with a synth that comes stock with Reason 10 :thumbs_up:

Loque

11 Apr 2019

aeox wrote:
11 Apr 2019

I know they are different synths, just thought it was interesting how close you can get with a synth that comes stock with Reason 10 :thumbs_up:
2nd is Oberhausen?
Reason12, Win10

riemac

11 Apr 2019

aeox wrote:
11 Apr 2019

I guess the second one is Europa because of the phasing oscillator sound.

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2019

riemac wrote:
11 Apr 2019
aeox wrote:
11 Apr 2019

I guess the second one is Europa because of the phasing oscillator sound.
They both are unsion patches, so they're both phasing :)

hurricane
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2019

I'm going to say the 2nd one is Oberhausen due to the variety in the L/R.
But I prefer the first one.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2019

hurricane wrote:
11 Apr 2019
I do as well.

BRIGGS

11 Apr 2019

aeox wrote:
11 Apr 2019
hurricane wrote:
11 Apr 2019
I do as well.
Same....it's more detailed and defined.
r11s

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2019

I like the first one also better, but only because I find the panning on the second one too extreme.
Care to solve the riddle, aeox? :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
11 Apr 2019
I like the first one also better, but only because I find the panning on the second one too extreme.
I'm just going to let people keep guessing. It's funny :lol:

BRIGGS

11 Apr 2019

aeox wrote:
11 Apr 2019
diminished wrote:
11 Apr 2019
I'm just going to let people keep guessing. It's funny :lol:
r11s

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2019

aeox wrote:
11 Apr 2019

My guess is #2 is Oberhausen, deeper tone in the last two notes...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

BRIGGS

14 Apr 2019

r11s

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2019

Pluginguru removed the comparison to Arturia's SEM from his video because, as he finally admitted:

"It was not a fair and accurate comparison..."

NO SHIT.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information