How are vsts handled by computer?

Discuss VST stuff here!
RustyShakleforde

08 Apr 2019

Hey, hope every one is well.

I am wondering how does my computer handle and process vsts?

Say I open an instance of massive.

It is installed on my second drive (E:). It is obv executed from there, does the ram then handle the actual use of it? What resources are used?

I ask as I am wondering the feasibility of installing my vsts on an external hdd. If it had fast read write speeds would it be no different from having installed on internal drive?

This led me to wonder how vsts work in terms of system resources. When I fire up massive is the hdd constantly working or does it just load and then ram and cpu handles the rest. What role does each play?

I seen some people talk about running games from flash drives. Some of these newer flash drives have ssd performance, with write/ read speeds that exceed that exceed internal hdds. Though others pointed out that flash drives are not meant to take on such tasks and so the lifespan would be greatly diminished. How intensive are. Dlls though? I'm not talking running kontakt or the like, more vst synths and effects..

If not feasible on flash drives, then what about external ssd or USB 3 drives?

I was looking at this for this purpose https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00SNL ... th=1&psc=1

I also have one of these

What do you guys reckon?

All the best

Oquasec

08 Apr 2019

Average desktop should do good.
Internal HDD's ideal.
If going external I'd say use an internal hdd with a converter.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Loque

08 Apr 2019

The HD just has impact on disc IO (input/output or read/write data). In most cases it is loading the VST and samples.

A VST is a DLL which is nothing else than a file with a specific structure containing code and data, just like a executable file. The application can read and understand the structure of a VST and executes its functions, e. g. like "render for audio in this buffer" or "show your GUI in this window" and so on...

Speeding up a VST can only be done by a better CPU, faster and sometimes more RAM, better/faster access to the hardware (eg a ASIO driver). A faster HD helps only by faster loading data, which is in most cases samples.

Dunno much about that type of HD, but a SSD on PCIe in RAID mode can easily read/write 6GB per second which more than 300 times faster than an old HD or said in other words, which takes around 2 minutes to load on an old HD can be read in 1 second. Standard IDE SSDs do only around 500MB per seconds.
Reason12, Win10

RustyShakleforde

09 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
08 Apr 2019
The HD just has impact on disc IO (input/output or read/write data). In most cases it is loading the VST and samples.

A VST is a DLL which is nothing else than a file with a specific structure containing code and data, just like a executable file. The application can read and understand the structure of a VST and executes its functions, e. g. like "render for audio in this buffer" or "show your GUI in this window" and so on...

Speeding up a VST can only be done by a better CPU, faster and sometimes more RAM, better/faster access to the hardware (eg a ASIO driver). A faster HD helps only by faster loading data, which is in most cases samples.

Dunno much about that type of HD, but a SSD on PCIe in RAID mode can easily read/write 6GB per second which more than 300 times faster than an old HD or said in other words, which takes around 2 minutes to load on an old HD can be read in 1 second. Standard IDE SSDs do only around 500MB per seconds.

Thanks Loque, that's how I suspected they work. So in theory, if the hdd is there to load the. Dlls, nd the actual use when playing with them is handled by the cpu and ram, then a decent speed ext ssd should suffice to run the vsts from.

Im not really looking to speed my vsts up. Just wondering if feasible to install and run my vsts from an external drive.

I have two computers and was thinking if vsts are installed on the external, and daw plug in folders included tht external drive, then I could switch between the two by plugging the HD into either one I'm using.

I realise I could install the plug ins on both computers, but the laptop has limited space and so I ws interested in the viability of this solution..

Anyone else tried this? I found posts on gearslutz going back to 2011 from people who said they run vsts from externals, tech has advanced since then. Was wondering if there would be any impact on performance..

Both comps I have have decent cpu and plenty ran. Os running from ssd on both.

Loque

09 Apr 2019

This may not work for several VSTs depending on their licenses and authorization.
Reason12, Win10

RustyShakleforde

09 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
09 Apr 2019
This may not work for several VSTs depending on their licenses and authorization.
Yea I thought so. But I don't use mny so would just be with the ones that work. My d16 plugs worked when I tried it with my USB 3 drive, as licence key is a file downloaded and kept in same folder as vst.

I'll see how it goes.. 🙃

• Information