This Is What The D-50 Patches Sound Like In Omnisphere 2.6

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2019

This is me improvising while playing several of the D-50 patches included in the latest Omnisphere update. These are straight up presets - I'm not doing anything tweaky (other than jiggling the mod wheel here and there) nor have I modified any of them in any way.

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

28 Mar 2019

hurricane wrote:
28 Mar 2019
This is me improvising while playing several of the D-50 patches included in the latest Omnisphere update. These are straight up presets - I'm not doing anything tweaky (other than jiggling the mod wheel here and there) nor have I modified any of them in any way.

Sounds great! :thumbs_up:

Looking forward to a JP8000/GAIA patch demo ;)

Karim
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2019

That happened in the 80s. :) Tom Cruise films came to mind with your demo. They sounds really good! :shock:
hurricane wrote:
28 Mar 2019

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

hurricane
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2019

Karim wrote:
28 Mar 2019
That happened in the 80s. :) Tom Cruise films came to mind with your demo. They sounds really good! :shock:
Thanks - I should watch Top Gun before the sequel comes out. 😬
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2019

joeyluck wrote:
28 Mar 2019
Looking forward to a JP8000/GAIA patch demo ;)
Sure! Later today probably.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2019

Great demo, timeless sounds, thanks! 1:30 gives me goosebumps. What is that patch?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

groggy1

28 Mar 2019

They added a patch called Pizzagogo Time...

**** I spent the last hour playing Enya, AND I CANT STOP!!

Seriously, I don't know what made Eric Persing and Roland decide to finally give us some D50 love in Omnisphere, but THANK YOU!

Now back to my Enya...

hurricane
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2019

diminished wrote:
28 Mar 2019
Great demo, timeless sounds, thanks! 1:30 gives me goosebumps. What is that patch?
It's called D50 - Bell Chorale. :thumbs_up:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Karim
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2019

It's never too late. I will have to look at it too 'cause after 20 years I completely forgot the plot :lol:
hurricane wrote:
28 Mar 2019
Karim wrote:
28 Mar 2019
Thanks - I should watch Top Gun before the sequel comes out. 😬
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

bitley

30 Mar 2019

Not to comment on Hcane's (all cool) examples but went through 2.6 yesterday, very nice update but the D-50 sounds are still quite weak and will not replace it - the real synth has a much more vivid and fat tone & a much wider velocity variation. "Soundtrack" isn't touching the original sound's quality by far, neither the Pizzagogo samples.

joeyluck

30 Mar 2019

bitley wrote:
30 Mar 2019
Not to comment on Hcane's (all cool) examples but went through 2.6 yesterday, very nice update but the D-50 sounds are still quite weak and will not replace it - the real synth has a much more vivid and fat tone & a much wider velocity variation. "Soundtrack" isn't touching the original sound's quality by far, neither the Pizzagogo samples.
Would love to hear a comparison, but it still sounds great! :thumbs_up:

And the Omnisphere profiles, as they've explained, are more in place as representations when working with the hardware and aren't necessarily seeking to be 100% accurate emulations on their own. But again, pretty good sounds.

Related, I realize that many people have attempted to capture the JP8000 and owners of the actual synth say nobody has accomplished it and only come close... And I imagine that the Omnisphere profile, if not dead set on being an 100% accurate emulation, probably too doesn't quite nail it. But still curious!

I just wish there was a trial for a $480 synth that is known to be CPU intensive. And I've seen some selling it secondhand, sure... But I mean, can I just see how well it will work on my machine first?

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2019

joeyluck wrote:
30 Mar 2019
Related, I realize that many people have attempted to capture the JP8000 and owners of the actual synth say nobody has accomplished it and only come close... And I imagine that the Omnisphere profile, if not dead set on being an 100% accurate emulation, probably too doesn't quite nail it. But still curious!
I know the JP-8080 inside and out and as soon as I have time I'll test out Omni's JP patches, because I too am curious.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

30 Mar 2019

Here's another D-50 demo I came across while searching for JP8000 demos:

I did find this other video where he begins with some JP8000 patches:

Unfortunately, not exactly what I'm looking to hear though. Doesn't look like there are many JP8000 patches included at the moment.

bitley

30 Mar 2019

Checked those too of course & the last patch in that collection might be interesting for trancy experiments but it's really not more than a "hint" towards the JP8K just like the D-50 sounds. Juno 106, Andromeda & Ob 6 are closer to the originals.

hurricane
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2019

The JP-8000 patches are disappointing, only because I was expecting sounds that this synth was famous for, and to me that means Anthemic/Euphoric Trance sounds. What we got instead was mostly NOT that lol, with 10 of the 19 patches being weird experimental sound fx. I am not a fan of these tweaky, gurgly, noisy, abstract show-off patches, Like, I don't care that you can tweak the heck out of a synth and make bouncing 8th note fart noises with rockets firing off in the background. That doesn't impress me one bit. The 2 or 3 supersaw-based patches are ok, but this collection of patches does a really poor job of showing off what the JP-8000/8080 is strong at and kind of known for. But it's still pretty sweet how I can control Omnisphere with my JP-8080.

Anyway, I understand that Omnisphere is not meant to be a straight emulation of the hardware it models. If you're wondering what synth does a really close job though, it's Hive.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

31 Mar 2019

hurricane wrote:
31 Mar 2019
The JP-8000 patches are disappointing, only because I was expecting sounds that this synth was famous for, and to me that means Anthemic/Euphoric Trance sounds. What we got instead was mostly NOT that lol, with 10 of the 19 patches being weird experimental sound fx. I am not a fan of these tweaky, gurgly, noisy, abstract show-off patches, Like, I don't care that you can tweak the heck out of a synth and make bouncing 8th note fart noises with rockets firing off in the background. That doesn't impress me one bit. The 2 or 3 supersaw-based patches are ok, but this collection of patches does a really poor job of showing off what the JP-8000/8080 is strong at and kind of known for. But it's still pretty sweet how I can control Omnisphere with my JP-8080.

Anyway, I understand that Omnisphere is not meant to be a straight emulation of the hardware it models. If you're wondering what synth does a really close job though, it's Hive.
Cool thanks for the update! That's what I have heard about Hive.

So when working with your JP8080, how easy is it to convert presets and then listen back to them in Omnisphere?

HoboSage

31 Mar 2019

Though I haven't touched it in like 20+ years, I still have a D-50 and two sound cards. The D-50 is what I used for a MIDI keyboard controller when I first got Reason 2.5., which I also still have. I should probably sell the D-50 on eBay. They're going for like $500.00. Hmm, anybody want a Roland Studio-M and a Sound Canvas? I still have them too. LOL
My Music: https://www.hobosage.com

My Gear: Surface Pro 6; Reason 10+; Scarlett 2i2 interface; KRK Rockit 5 monitors; Samson SR850 cans; Shure Beta 87A mic; M-Audio 49-key controller; Rainsong DR-1000 acoustic; Fender Modern Player Telecaster

bitley

01 Apr 2019

I hope I never get rid of my D-50, absolutely lovely instrument.

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2019

joeyluck wrote:
31 Mar 2019
So when working with your JP8080, how easy is it to convert presets and then listen back to them in Omnisphere?
It would be really sick, but unfortunately Omnisphere can't read any of the presets from the synth and trying to map the parameters manually would be a pain.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

CaptainBlack

21 Apr 2019

Talk of the JP8080 brings back painful memories. I had mine stolen from a flat in London in Sept 2000, along with a Korg Prophecy and my PC. But thanks to that disaster, I decided to check out what this new Reason program with its harder to steal software synthesisers could do.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Mar 2019

I know the JP-8080 inside and out and as soon as I have time I'll test out Omni's JP patches, because I too am curious.
Have you tried Diva's digital JP-8080 style oscillators?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information