Softube Parallels new synth out ($129)

Discuss VST stuff here!
antic604

12 Mar 2019

In Stockholm, Sweden, there’s a synth emporium like no other – a store with such vibrancy, such range, such color, that you’d need a dozen eyes and ears to take it all in. And the guy who runs it is no ordinary guy. He’s special, in all the best ways. His imagination fizzes and crackles with delight at the sounds of a million billion sparkling circuit boards.

Out of this hot-bed, this toy-box, this fantasy-factory, Parallels was born; an instrument with not one but two sound sources, each running painstakingly recorded and exquisitely calibrated multi-waveforms from every dream-machine must-have synth you could ever want, and sculpting the resulting sounds with the highest-quality Softube filters, modulators, and effects. If you’re looking for inspiration and sheer sound-quality in your music, this is your golden ticket.
https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=parallels

Loque

12 Mar 2019

2a1505412f7f14816bfee701fc184042.gif
2a1505412f7f14816bfee701fc184042.gif (397.46 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
Reason12, Win10

Breach The Sky

12 Mar 2019

I had hoped for some type of cross-modulation between osc's at least. A pity..

antic604

12 Mar 2019

Breach The Sky wrote:
12 Mar 2019
I had hoped for some type of cross-modulation between osc's at least. A pity..
Perhaps because they're "just" samples and not real, calculated on-the-fly oscillators?
But that's probably also opening some unusual possibilities in how it sounds.
I'll have to check the demo.

Still, I'm more excited about kiloHearts' PhasePlant :)

Breach The Sky

12 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
12 Mar 2019
Yeah. I have big hopes for that one! Bit weary of the price if you want some of those ol' snapins tough.. :(

antic604

12 Mar 2019

Breach The Sky wrote:
12 Mar 2019
antic604 wrote:
12 Mar 2019
Yeah. I have big hopes for that one! Bit weary of the price if you want some of those ol' snapins tough.. :(
It is awesome! I have been beta testing it and the only problem was each instance took 1.2-1.5 GB RAM so on my Surface Pro 4 I couldn't run more than 4-5 of them :D

Kilohearts_Per

13 Mar 2019

You should update to the latest beta version! 6 GB should be enough for ~120 instances now*.

*: May not actually be true, haven't tried to max it :D

Loque

13 Mar 2019

Kilohearts_Per wrote:
13 Mar 2019
You should update to the latest beta version! 6 GB should be enough for ~120 instances now*.

Is this a hidden hint for the release date? I am waiting...
Reason12, Win10

Breach The Sky

13 Mar 2019

Kilohearts_Per wrote:
13 Mar 2019

That's some serious optimization! I hope it's not going to eat my cpu for breakfast, with all that cross modulation potentially going on. Always sound quality before performance tough! ;)

antic604

13 Mar 2019

Kilohearts_Per wrote:
13 Mar 2019

Damn Discord - I see my question from a week ago was indeed answered :)
I'll d/l it in the evening and report back.
Thanks!!! :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

13 Mar 2019

Back on topic - Parellels looks bad ass for a rompler synth. May give it a spin.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Biolumin3sc3nt

20 Mar 2019

Demoing it right now. I think it sounds awesome. Filters sound superb as well as the mods. I might be picking this up.
I'll report back, but now it's time to go grocery shopping and make some Thai food.

manisnotabird

20 Mar 2019

Looks like there's no way to assign velocity, mod wheel, note number, etc to parameters?

reddust

21 Mar 2019

Very nice UI design, looks good and easy to comprehend, and the sound seems to have a good quality too, but the demos I've listened to so far doesn't seem to offer nothing new to me, I'll keep an eye on it anyways and see what this synth is capable of when more users have uploaded some works with it.

MarkTarlton

21 Mar 2019

the guy in the video lost me when he said "the distortion is way better in the plug ins than the ones you can record analog" totally not true! distortion sounds digital especially when you push it to the max! if you only have a computer, and no analog boxes, than plug in distortion can be great, but for those of us who have the real deal, there is no comparison...same goes with analog preamp distortion. the real ssl consoles are a totally different beast than the digital models if you like to push the envelope.

selig
RE Developer

21 Mar 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
21 Mar 2019
the guy in the video lost me when he said "the distortion is way better in the plug ins than the ones you can record analog" totally not true! distortion sounds digital especially when you push it to the max! if you only have a computer, and no analog boxes, than plug in distortion can be great, but for those of us who have the real deal, there is no comparison...same goes with analog preamp distortion. the real ssl consoles are a totally different beast than the digital models if you like to push the envelope.
I wouldn't go that far, but I can't see how it could be "way better" than what it's emulating. The possible exception would be if you're talking about having tons of algorithms/controls in the digital version vs. ONE analog device. But then we're comparing features and not sound. Maybe they intentionally said "is way better" rather than "sounds way better"?
Selig Audio, LLC

Biolumin3sc3nt

26 Mar 2019

Picked this up at Everyplugin for $ 107.99 tonight and couldn't have been happier. I think quite a few people ran away before even trialing it. Right off the bat, this isn't trying to be Serum, Expanse or even Europa. BoBeats on YouTube (who worked on some of the patches) made a nice vid on it. He even stated that fact.

What I liked was the ease of use, the mod matrix and obviously what it sounded like. It fit's my type of music. I say give it a go on the 20 day demo.. You don't need a physical Ilok key btw. I've only touched on maybe 45 minutes of use with it, as I'm not at home, but a 16 bar loop of some of BT's patches inspired me. Sometimes that's all it takes. The color knob shines high in my opinion.

This isn't gonna be your next Dub Step all star synth. Just take it for what it is --- I think it sounds amazing!

reddust

26 Mar 2019

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
26 Mar 2019
It fit's my type of music.
That's exactly why I'm still not testing it, I haven't seen any demos that fit my music style yet. It does sound good and I really like the UI functionally as well as visually but the sounds I've listened so far aren't anything I would use very often or couldn't achieve with other synths. But I'll keep an eye on it and see what it's capable of by some people that are better using synths than myself. BTW, it would be nice to see it as a rent-to-own in splice or something like that.

I've seen that video by BoBeats, I really like his reviews.

• Information