Izotope Ozone 8 Advanced - Much better than standard?

Discuss VST stuff here!
RustyShakleforde

05 Mar 2019

Hello,

I have Ozone standard, Advanced upgrade is on sale just now. I am thinking about upgrading but wonder if anyone has any input on whether the upgrade is worth it?

I don't really mind using standard having to have all the modules in the one instance, though I have thought it would be nice to just use each module as an independent vst... I can obviously just load up standard and just have the thing I want to use and nothing else, so just the EQ for example. Is there much difference to doing that and running the standalone you'd get with Advanced.

Im Running an i7 laptop by 3xs systems. Top specs as of last year. Incase that matters. (Ozone still hogs the cpu with a few instances though - so wondering if the stand alones would be kinder that way?)

Im interested in any one experiences and input as even at half price it will still be a big purchase at the moment...

All the best

:)

Kalm

05 Mar 2019

For me the upgrade was worth it since there are certain instances where I only want to waste the CPU for one module. That's really what it comes down to for me. When I'm mastering in Studio One, not being able to freely move around my modules with other VST's is cumbersome. You'll essentially have to have multiple Ozone 8's just to create a signal path.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2019

To me the most important thing about the advanced version (since for mastering i usually use the integrated version) is the Tonal Balance plugin that is not included in the standard version.

Tonal balance allows you to "see" a tonal cumulative representation of your track and it helps you see how it is in relation to a median based on several sources, or a reference that you put there yourself.
Its a good visual aid imho, and it works quite nicely integrated with Ozone or neutron.

EnochLight

06 Mar 2019

RustyShakleforde wrote:
05 Mar 2019
Hello,

I have Ozone standard, Advanced upgrade is on sale just now. I am thinking about upgrading but wonder if anyone has any input on whether the upgrade is worth it?
If using Ozone is your primary mastering environment, then absolutely. It also unlocks its modules so they can be used inside of Reason or any other DAW as standalone devices, which is pretty cool. And Tonal Balance is absolutely awesome - I've found it to be a critical tool for mastering.

That said, if you decide to wait it out, don't worry - they put the upgrade on sale at least a couple times a year.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

demt

06 Mar 2019

i prefered previous izotope ozone vsts theres just 2 mutch to keep an eye on without selling your sole to it
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

EnochLight

06 Mar 2019

Unrelated to Ozone 8 (but not really, as it used to be included for a time), if you want one of the best metering plugins in the industry, have a look at iZotope Insight 2. Along with Ozone, it's pretty freak'n awesome (and communicates with inter-plugin communication with Ozone 8 or Neutron 2 relay/mix taps).

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

RustyShakleforde

08 Mar 2019

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the advice and info. I'm still holding off but tempted. I had been thinking along the lines of what you guys confirmed. Insight does look cool too Enoch, thanks.

Im going to mix a few tracks i have over the weekend with standard and see how it goes. I dare say i will probably snap it up by end of the weekend though, as I do like the idea of tonal balance and the standalone vst aspects.

Thanks again

All the best

EnochLight

08 Mar 2019

RustyShakleforde wrote:
08 Mar 2019
I do like the idea of tonal balance and the standalone vst aspects.
O8 Advanced' Tonal Balance is single-handedly one of the most useful mastering metering tools on the market, IMHO (aside from Insight 2). To visually see and be able to compare your mixes to reference mixes visually is incredibly helpful. It's practically magical.

eusti

08 Mar 2019

EnochLight wrote:
08 Mar 2019
O8 Advanced' Tonal Balance is single-handedly one of the most useful mastering metering tools on the market, IMHO (aside from Insight 2). To visually see and be able to compare your mixes to reference mixes visually is incredibly helpful. It's practically magical.
Is Insight 2 still included? I thought there was something about it being included in older versions and not any longer, but that might have been for the non advanced version...

D.

ScuzzyEye

08 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
08 Mar 2019
Is Insight 2 still included? I thought there was something about it being included in older versions and not any longer, but that might have been for the non advanced version...
The only bundle that includes Insight now is the RX Post Production Suite, and it costs a bundle. :)

While Insight is a great tool, I think it's overpriced at its stand alone rate. I think they justify it because it does help with television standard's compliance.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
08 Mar 2019
eusti wrote:
08 Mar 2019
The only bundle that includes Insight now is the RX Post Production Suite, and it costs a bundle. :)

While Insight is a great tool, I think it's overpriced at its stand alone rate. I think they justify it because it does help with television standard's compliance.
Insight is overpriced i agree. I'm using RE 128 Loudness Meter for that an it's really good.

EnochLight

08 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
08 Mar 2019
No, it's only sold standalone or in a bundle now.
ScuzzyEye wrote:
08 Mar 2019
Agree 100% it's overpriced. I picked it up on sale for $99 USD, which I think is still too pricey - but at half off the MSRP I couldn't say no. It's the last metering tool I'll ever buy.

eusti

08 Mar 2019

Thanks EnochLight and SkuzzyEyes for confirming!

D.

• Information