VST fix for v9.5 ?

Discuss VST stuff here!
WonderHeart

26 Feb 2019

Hi,

Sorry to make my first post a question rather than a contribution of some kind,but :

Does anyone know if the VST Fix part of v10.3 will be free to v9.5 owners,or would I just have no option but toupgrade to v10 to get it ?

No gripes against v10,just That I don't need anything that came with it .

Also,I've heard that Midi vsts have real problems in Reason. Does this go as far as,vst midi devices like Arpeggiators not working,for instance ?

Any advice/answers much appreciated by this Reason noob.

Thanks,

WonderHeart.

eusti

26 Feb 2019

WonderHeart wrote:
26 Feb 2019

Does anyone know if the VST Fix part of v10.3 will be free to v9.5 owners,or would I just have no option but toupgrade to v10 to get it ?
I’d be highly surprised if Reason 9 got another update these days. Especially one as significant as this.

D.

Electric-Metal

26 Feb 2019

Hi and welcome,
WonderHeart wrote:
26 Feb 2019

I wouldn't hold my breath, but that's just me thinking.
WonderHeart wrote:
26 Feb 2019
Also,I've heard that Midi vsts have real problems in Reason. Does this go as far as,vst midi devices like Arpeggiators not working,for instance ?
That right, Midi VSTs (Xfer Cthulu and the like) don't work in Reason. But I think there's some clunky workaround for this. Maybe some one else can chime in to clarify.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Namyo85

26 Feb 2019

I think it's safe to say there are two different 'main' versions of Reason now. I know there are earlier versions. What I mean is 9.5 is the end result of all those and 10 onwards is Reason going in a new direction (is that an accurate analogy?), therefore I believe Props should work on fixes for 9.5 as well as improving 10 onwards. I own 9.5 and have no plans to upgrade so I too hope there are fixes.

ScuzzyEye

26 Feb 2019

The Props have only once released an update for a previous version of Reason, and that was because of a bad OS incompatibility, and the previous version wasn't that old at the time.

I can say with a huge amount of confidence that they won't be releasing the VST fixes for 9.5. Nor any more fixes for 9.5 at all. They don't maintain two versions, only the latest release. Even the newest versions of the RE SDK doesn't build devices that work on 9.5. They've moved on.

joeyluck

26 Feb 2019

Yeah, by the time 10.3 is released, Reason 9.5 will be about 2 years old (Reason 9 about 3 years old).

Reason 9 didn't come with VST support and Reason 9.5 added it for free and was quite the surprise...
Just noting that if perhaps justifying to yourself the cost to upgrade to Reason 10. I guess your view about that also depends on when you purchased Reason 9...

But if you've made do using Reason 9.5 this long, and if the VST performance improvement isn't worth the upgrade cost to you, then perhaps might as well hold out until Reason 11(which who knows how far out that might be? A year?) Maybe demo Reason 10.3 when it's released to see if it changes your world. But yeah, with the amount of work Propellerhead has said has gone into the update, I don't think they would put the time and risk into trying to update 9.5, when VST performance isn't necessarily something that makes them money unless people are paying to upgrade. Nobody is buying Reason 9 any longer, unless secondhand.

RE performance on the other hand...I could see an argument for that. Although I doubt still that they would update older versions of Reason to improve RE performance, even if it sold more REs. They don't even make the newest SDK compatible with older versions of Reason...

WonderHeart

26 Feb 2019

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the really helpful advice.

I bought v9 s/h purely because of the vst inclusion.I don't say that Reason didn't have it's own appeal,but I could never affoard it plus a good ,normal DAW at once.

I've been seeing v10 at good s/h prices,and was considering selling my v9.5 and buying v10 - a good saving on the upgrade price if Igot near the $110 I paid,but I guess that's a bit fanciful now .I've been ill mostly since I bought it,so have been unaware of the vst issues.I thought it was just that vst3 wasn't handled,but a cripplingly small [for many vsts] fixed buffer size,and,at least as bad,not being able to use vst Arps etc.,well it's pretty useless to me,and I don't remember the review sites/mags mentioning these things.At least not prominently.

Thank you again for clearing things up.

If I knew 10.3 was due imminently and would fix both the vst problems [and I could get a decent price for 9.5] I'd a happy camper,but sadly none these things seem likely now.A bit of a downer,all round.

Anyway,Thanks again,and Best Wishes all round,

WonderHeart.

sleep1979

02 Mar 2019

WonderHeart wrote:
26 Feb 2019
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the really helpful advice.

I bought v9 s/h purely because of the vst inclusion.I don't say that Reason didn't have it's own appeal,but I could never affoard it plus a good ,normal DAW at once.

I've been seeing v10 at good s/h prices,and was considering selling my v9.5 and buying v10 - a good saving on the upgrade price if Igot near the $110 I paid,but I guess that's a bit fanciful now .I've been ill mostly since I bought it,so have been unaware of the vst issues.I thought it was just that vst3 wasn't handled,but a cripplingly small [for many vsts] fixed buffer size,and,at least as bad,not being able to use vst Arps etc.,well it's pretty useless to me,and I don't remember the review sites/mags mentioning these things.At least not prominently.

Thank you again for clearing things up.

If I knew 10.3 was due imminently and would fix both the vst problems [and I could get a decent price for 9.5] I'd a happy camper,but sadly none these things seem likely now.A bit of a downer,all round.

Anyway,Thanks again,and Best Wishes all round,

WonderHeart.
U dont have to sell version 9 to get version 10 u just pay the current £89 upgrade fee , its £169 to intro users oh well 😔

WeLoveYouToo

06 Mar 2019

WonderHeart wrote:
26 Feb 2019
considering selling my v9.5 and buying v10
your license for v9 gets you an upgrade to v10 or v11 for pretty cheap, about a hundred bucks if i recall (i skipped v7 and went straight to 8 for the same price as if i had gone from 7 to 8 so i assume that's still applicable)
if you sell v9, you lose that license and the upgrade path.
so you would have to buy v 10.3/11 at full price, which is 3-400 i think.
you can't have your cake and eat it too.

• Information