FM Tines 2 - The Best Electric Piano Library Ever

Discuss VST stuff here!
GospelMusicians

22 Feb 2019

This thread is getting so good that I had to jump in....I think guys are comparing Apples to Oranges and each person is trying to convince the other that an orange tastes better than an Apple :)

What you get with our libraries is an echosystem and a vibe. Some people can hear it and appreciate it and some could care less. The whole reason why we set out to make sample libraries is because we just couldn't find any sounds out there to our liking and with our fat recipe. You see, when you hear a radio ready EP sound, you don't just hear the raw DX sound, for example. You hear the preamp, the compressor, the Tape, the inductor EQ...All of wwhich the average guy can't afford. We wanted to deliver that same vibe of rich, thick, sound to differentiate ourselves for the classic hi-fi you hear all the timer.

We built FM Tines from the ground up and OVERLY engineered the things that really makes an EP sound Good and Playable...Things like:
1. A color mod that changes formant timbre as you hit the velocity
2. An analog modeled Filter that changes with each velocity press
3. An exact replica of the ASR-10/DP4 Ensoniq reverb
4. Added a Detune for one oscillator to be able to stack the same oscillator to itself with Stereo Spread that then goes into another high quality stereo spread with BASS limiting to keep the bass mono and the stereo wide.
5. A Dimension D Chorus Reverb
6. We licensed and are using all of Overloud's VKFX effects which is one of the best keyboard effects suite ever made.
7. All expressive and velocity notes can be scaled to start pitching at a certain velocity.

The details goes on and on of the overly obsessive programming that went into this. I think that's what others are saying....Some appreciate the detail and some could care less...that's why it's apples and oranges.

Hope this helps....great convo guys!

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2019

GospelMusicians wrote:
22 Feb 2019
This thread is getting so good that I had to jump in....I think guys are comparing Apples to Oranges and each person is trying to convince the other that an orange tastes better than an Apple :)
For the record, I REALLY like your apples. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

22 Feb 2019

GospelMusicians wrote:
22 Feb 2019

The details goes on and on of the overly obsessive programming that went into this. I think that's what others are saying....Some appreciate the detail and some could care less...that's why it's apples and oranges.

Hope this helps....great convo guys!
Great to have you chime in!

joeyluck

23 Feb 2019

hurricane wrote:
22 Feb 2019

For the record, I REALLY like your apples. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Wait which one is the apple and which one is the orange? I do like oranges better...

:P

joeyluck

23 Feb 2019

GospelMusicians wrote:
22 Feb 2019
Great to have you here!

I think most people in the conversation get it and it seems to be more about apples and what people can do with them and the level of work they feel necessary vs. a very tasty, warm apple cider ready-made...or maybe more of a fruit salad containing several fruits (if saying the PX7/DX7 is the apple in the conversation).

It can often come down to workflow and an individual's creativity vs. instant inspiration. That seems to come with all building blocks vs. curated, constructed, ready-to-go sample libraries. They of course all have their place and purpose; they each have their pros and cons.

BTW, it would be cool to see FM Tines 2 as a Rack Extension, sitting in the Reason rack nicely ;)

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2019

joeyluck wrote:
23 Feb 2019
BTW, it would be cool to see FM Tines 2 as a Rack Extension, sitting in the Reason rack nicely ;)
Breaking news - Reason supports VST and it already sits nicely in the rack. 😬
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

23 Feb 2019

hurricane wrote:
23 Feb 2019
joeyluck wrote:
23 Feb 2019
Breaking news - Reason supports VST and it already sits nicely in the rack. 😬
I think this is an apples and oranges type conversation about what sits nicely in the Reason rack 😜

ScuzzyEye

26 Feb 2019

aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2019
Keyboard tracking assigned to pan would only work with one note at a time. So that's why it's not possible with any synths or RE that I'm aware of currently. (Except NN-XT using samples) That would be SUCH a powerful feature in a synth! If anyone sees this conversation and knows of a synth that does this.. please let me know.
It'd be easy to add to any patch in Thor. Radical Piano has it built in (you can adjust the width). The Ensoniq ESQ-1 (and my upcoming REcreation of it) has key tracking as a default, fixed modulation source for the pan parameter.

I'd guess that any synth with key tracking, and a per-voice pan control, along with a modulation matrix would be able to add this to a patch, but many don't have the per-voice panning.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
26 Feb 2019
aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2019
Keyboard tracking assigned to pan would only work with one note at a time. So that's why it's not possible with any synths or RE that I'm aware of currently. (Except NN-XT using samples) That would be SUCH a powerful feature in a synth! If anyone sees this conversation and knows of a synth that does this.. please let me know.
It'd be easy to add to any patch in Thor. Radical Piano has it built in (you can adjust the width). The Ensoniq ESQ-1 (and my upcoming REcreation of it) has key tracking as a default, fixed modulation source for the pan parameter.

I'd guess that any synth with key tracking, and a per-voice pan control, along with a modulation matrix would be able to add this to a patch, but many don't have the per-voice panning.
Do you know any that have per-voice pan control?

eXode

26 Feb 2019

aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2019

I didn't look very long for great patches on the PX7, I found E Piano 1 and thought it was close enough so I went with that. I'll check out the others you mentioned.
Why would keyboard tracking assigned to pan only work with one note at a time?

There are several synths that allow keyboard tracking to pan per note basis:

Here are just a few that I have tried:

Blamsoft eXpanse, VK-2, and Zero
Propellerhead Europa, Grain, and Thor,
Synapse Audio Antidote
Rob Papen Predator, Quad, and Vecto
Robotic Bean Resonans

Some of these synths also have a random source that will pan each new note randomly according to the set value, which is good for creating stereo width when playing chords.

The implementation differs among them though, in some of them you have to compensate by panning the synth left (on it's master pan control), it's because some devs have implemented a unipolar note source, instead of a bipolar note source.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2019

eXode wrote:
26 Feb 2019
aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2019

I didn't look very long for great patches on the PX7, I found E Piano 1 and thought it was close enough so I went with that. I'll check out the others you mentioned.
Why would keyboard tracking assigned to pan only work with one note at a time?

There are several synths that allow keyboard tracking to pan per note basis:

Here are just a few that I have tried:

Blamsoft eXpanse, VK-2, and Zero
Propellerhead Europa, Grain, and Thor,
Synapse Audio Antidote
Rob Papen Predator, Quad, and Vecto
Robotic Bean Resonans

Some of these synths also have a random source that will pan each new note randomly according to the set value, which is good for creating stereo width when playing chords.

The implementation differs among them though, in some of them you have to compensate by panning the synth left (on it's master pan control), it's because some devs have implemented a unipolar note source, instead of a bipolar note source.
Figured it out :D Thanks

The whole time I was assigning the wrong pan destination

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2019

Was it always like this? I could've sworn that I tried this many times, every different possible way and I could only get one note at a time.

I feel like a dumbass honestly.

The one synth I still can't figure it out on is Thor, so if anyone would tell me how to do it with thor that would be a big help.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2019

Another issue I'm having is that it's not spreading the notes as wide as I'd like them to be. (even with unipolar)

:(

ScuzzyEye

26 Feb 2019

aeox wrote:
26 Feb 2019
The one synth I still can't figure it out on is Thor, so if anyone would tell me how to do it with thor that would be a big help.
Source → Voice Key, Note (Full Range)
Dest → Amp, Pan

Amount to taste.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
26 Feb 2019
aeox wrote:
26 Feb 2019
Dest → Amp, Pan

Amount to taste.

Loque

27 Feb 2019

aeox wrote:
26 Feb 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
26 Feb 2019

Dest → Amp, Pan

Amount to taste.
Wouldn't balancing out the filter left/right input do this per voice or is this per voice too?
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

27 Feb 2019

Europa can do key panning as well. And can do some great FM tones.

• Information