Iris2 + Trash @ $49 - worth it?

Discuss VST stuff here!
antic604

28 Dec 2018

https://www.izotope.com/en/shop.html#fi ... -end-deals

Anyone familiar with it? I'm particularly interested in Iris2, because it looks like an interesting concept with lots of modulation possibilities, but the demo patches were really underwhelming.

ScuzzyEye

28 Dec 2018

Iris2 is an interesting concept for a synth. I use iZotope's RX a lot, and am used to listening to spectral parts of an audio clip. Making a synthesizer out of that is rather inspired. It's like a wavetable, but using a Fourier transform instead of samples. If you're a visual person it's a lot easier to get your head around how to use parts of the table (and it's based on frequencies instead of time).

Finding something that sounds good is a whole other task though. It's neat for pads and atmospheric sounds, but real instruments, not so much. Though, if you happen to have Melodyne Studio (or some other editor able to resynthesize sounds) that does open a whole new realm of possible sources.

I got Trash a while ago for free, but I think Iris2 alone is worth $49. That is if you're looking for a unique sound.

Loque

28 Dec 2018

Trash is good, but the GUI is very tiny and confusing IMO, sadly, otherwise i would really recommend it. But for that price it is good enugh and it opens some upgrade paths from time to time for "standard" products. I never had payed more than 29 for Trash and if i would not have it already, i would buy the bundle. But so,i wait for another good deal...maybe...dunno...i am not into iZotope anymore and eying other stuff.
Reason12, Win10

danc

28 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018
Anyone familiar with it? I'm particularly interested in Iris2, because it looks like an interesting concept with lots of modulation possibilities, but the demo patches were really underwhelming.
Regarding IRIS 2 - a lot of people ask what's a good replacement sampler for Reason - instead of NNXT Answer: IRIS 2. You can automate and modulate everything to your hearts content. Think of it like Serum, with extensive range of envelope, LFO, FX manipulation, but for your samples rather than Wavetables.
Check my Soundcloud:

eusti

28 Dec 2018

Not sure anymore, but wasn’t there rumors about it not being updated any further? So, if you’re on a Mac that would be worthwhile researching.

D.

ScuzzyEye

28 Dec 2018

eusti wrote:
28 Dec 2018
Not sure anymore, but wasn’t there rumors about it not being updated any further? So, if you’re on a Mac that would be worthwhile researching.
It does seem like iZotope are focusing on their repair/mix/master tools. Shame. While those are surely their money makers, Iris, and BreakTweaker are still interesting takes on instruments.

BreakTweaker is almost surely the inspiration for the Prop's Drum Sequencer + Umph setup, and I think it does a better job. (So if it also goes on sale, consider it too.)

antic604

28 Dec 2018

ScuzzyEye wrote:
28 Dec 2018
BreakTweaker is almost surely the inspiration for the Prop's Drum Sequencer + Umph setup, and I think it does a better job. (So if it also goes on sale, consider it too.)
There's a 2nd bundle in the link I posted above - Stutter Edit + Breaktweaker for $49 as well :)
Stutter Edit itself is awesome and worth that price, so get that!

MDTerps2015

29 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018
ScuzzyEye wrote:
28 Dec 2018
There's a 2nd bundle in the link I posted above - Stutter Edit + Breaktweaker for $49 as well :)
I bought that and lost interest in stutter edit because its like programming a vcr in the 80's. I cant figure it out and I know you have to use rendered tracks but its a mess to program. I love break tweaker although it need an update with at least 8 tracks instead of six. After layering your kicks and snares you have two tracks left.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

antic604

30 Dec 2018

MDTerps2015 wrote:
29 Dec 2018
I bought that and lost interest in stutter edit because its like programming a vcr in the 80's. I cant figure it out and I know you have to use rendered tracks but its a mess to program.
Really? It works very well here on MIDI synths. You just need to feed it MIDI from another track, like so:

Attachments
StutterEdit demo.zip
(192.33 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Ahornberg

30 Dec 2018

For Iris 2 I recommend this patch lib https://www.patchpool.net/izotope_iris.html

Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
30 Dec 2018
For Iris 2 I recommend this patch lib https://www.patchpool.net/izotope_iris.html
Wow! Those are really nice patches. Thanks for the link!

MDTerps2015

31 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
30 Dec 2018
MDTerps2015 wrote:
29 Dec 2018
I bought that and lost interest in stutter edit because its like programming a vcr in the 80's. I cant figure it out and I know you have to use rendered tracks but its a mess to program.
Really? It works very well here on MIDI synths. You just need to feed it MIDI from another track, like so:

LMAO now every video I watched on this thing said that the tracks had to be bounced. Now I have interest again, I did not know this and I was using it wrong. Thx for the vid and help.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

miscend

12 Feb 2019

They’re on sale again for $49. I couldn’t miss the offer this time.

Iris 2 seems to be more powerful than Grain on first impressions. Grain lacks the spectral editing.

Loque

13 Feb 2019

miscend wrote:
12 Feb 2019

Iris 2 seems to be more powerful than Grain on first impressions. Grain lacks the spectral editing.
Iris2 is a thrown together toolbox from iZotopes tools with a bad design and bad audio routing. But still useful, mostly the spectral editor for 29 bucks is a good deal.
Reason12, Win10

miscend

13 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
13 Feb 2019
miscend wrote:
12 Feb 2019

Iris2 is a thrown together toolbox from iZotopes tools with a bad design and bad audio routing. But still useful, mostly the spectral editor for 29 bucks is a good deal.
Yeah Grain is better designed. But for the money I'm happy using Iris2 even just as a preset machine. It also comes with a great 11GB sample library, you can even use these samples in Grain which is sweet. I also got Trash2, I'm happy with it, it's like a huge distortion toolbox. It's quicker to get results in Scream4 or Decapitator but Trash2 has a lot more options and flexibility.

RandyEspoda

20 Feb 2019

MDTerps2015 wrote:
29 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018

I bought that and lost interest in stutter edit because its like programming a vcr in the 80's. I cant figure it out and I know you have to use rendered tracks but its a mess to program. I love break tweaker although it need an update with at least 8 tracks instead of six. After layering your kicks and snares you have two tracks left.
SE is real easy to use, as long as you understand it needs midi from another track. Insert it as an insert in a midi track, create a note lane for it and just hit some keys. You can bounce the midi output to audio and voila. Programming the gui can't be more intuitive with those sliders. I Don't even use the presets anymore cause it's so simple to program your own.

Top tip for plugins like these b4 you dive into it: RTFM ! :mrgreen:

demt

20 Feb 2019

seems easier to recreate that sound using reason
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

plaamook

28 Feb 2019

miscend wrote:
13 Feb 2019
I also got Trash2, I'm happy with it, it's like a huge distortion toolbox. It's quicker to get results in Scream4 or Decapitator but Trash2 has a lot more options and flexibility.
Yeah I preffer scream for straight distortion. It just sounds good fast. Especially if you split the signal and creat a wet/dry slider (GrooveMellon Morfin XF Crossfader...) then you're really flyin'. Or some multi band rig with it.

However...Trash as a general transformer of audio? Peerless. Try using it as an exciter with really mild multi band saturation. And get stuck into the low end convolution. Or any of the other convolutiion! It's a powerhouse for sure. I think I got impulsive and paid full price and it was worth every penny.

Now if we could just sort out the VST buffer problem...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Wobbleburger

28 Feb 2019

plaamook wrote:
28 Feb 2019
miscend wrote:
13 Feb 2019
I also got Trash2, I'm happy with it, it's like a huge distortion toolbox. It's quicker to get results in Scream4 or Decapitator but Trash2 has a lot more options and flexibility.
Yeah I preffer scream for straight distortion. It just sounds good fast. Especially if you split the signal and creat a wet/dry slider (GrooveMellon Morfin XF Crossfader...) then you're really flyin'. Or some multi band rig with it.

However...Trash as a general transformer of audio? Peerless. Try using it as an exciter with really mild multi band saturation. And get stuck into the low end convolution. Or any of the other convolutiion! It's a powerhouse for sure. I think I got impulsive and paid full price and it was worth every penny.

Now if we could just sort out the VST buffer problem...
Agreed... Trash is fantastic. I've been splitting my reece basslines by band and only using Trash above 700hz or so. Or, I'll apply it only to the sides of things. The distortion is insane and comparable to Devastor... but with more options.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

• Information