Help! Buying VSTs. I don’t understand.

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

I already wriote about this in another thread so sorry but I really need help. I’m looking at VSTs on Plugin Boutique. It says in the description which format they’re in Windows, 32 or 64bit etc. what I need to know is this...when it states that the plugin is VST and VST3 will it work in Reason. I thought only 64bit VST2 format worked in Reason. Could someone please explain for me as I don’t get it. Thankyou if you can tell me.

Oh yeah...and what does it mean when it says “qualified for (insert DAW name)” ?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

platzangst

26 Dec 2018

Well, at the very least I believe that if the plugin is 64-bit, that means it's already in the VST2 specifications, since that's one of the things that was added in that version. So even if they're not saying VST2 outright, if you have a 64-bit version, which Reason requires anyway, it's VST2.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

platzangst wrote:
26 Dec 2018
Well, at the very least I believe that if the plugin is 64-bit, that means it's already in the VST2 specifications, since that's one of the things that was added in that version. So even if they're not saying VST2 outright, if you have a 64-bit version, which Reason requires anyway, it's VST2.
Thanks man. Still don’t know what they mean by “qualified for...” though.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

tibah

26 Dec 2018

Companies test their plug-ins in different DAWs to make sure they will run. It could be simply name dropping as well, so customers feel more save seeing their DAW in the list. Don't be scared if you see Reason not listed! VST is a standard. Sure, they always might be issues with certain VSTs, in certain DAWs, on a certain OS under various circumstances, but nowadays the journey should be rather save and I'm also pretty sure that even on Plugin Boutique they are trials for most VSTs. ;)

I noticed some issues with VST in Reason vs. my other DAW, which is Bitwig, which you only learn from your own experience.

* Sugar Bytes Factory - wonky / slow UI drawing in Reason
* all u-he synths that have their own multi-core setting (Bazille, Repro, Diva) - doesn't work at all in Reason as it should

That's my only 2 encounters with VST issues in Reason. But no matter what, with any DAW+OS combo, you should test before you buy.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

Thats great tibah. Thanks for taking the time. 64bit VST seems to be fine then? Im only going to spend a couple of Euros anyway just to get Lounge Lizard for free so it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

tibah

26 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
26 Dec 2018
Thats great tibah. Thanks for taking the time. 64bit VST seems to be fine then? Im only going to spend a couple of Euros anyway just to get Lounge Lizard for free so it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work :).
VST2 and 64bit for Reason. :thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

tibah wrote:
26 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
26 Dec 2018
VST2 and 64bit for Reason. :thumbs_up:
Absolutely. That’s what I said above but they only ever write VST and VST3 in the descriptions. Platzangst thought that if it was 64bit then it was more likely than not VST2. Do you know to the contrary?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

tibah

26 Dec 2018

Well, he only said that every VST2 must have a 64bit version of it, because that's basically what that VST standard introduced. VST3 is still not adapted by all developers. More importantly, it's not supported by Reason, so that's what you should look out for. Most developers still offer the 32bit versions of their VST within the installer too, so that's still alive as well.

Plugin Boutique is a reseller. Always keep that in mind. They're trying to play it save here and not be the first instance of support. I just saw a product description that only mentions Cubase and Ableton in the "qualified" section, which are obviously not the only 2 DAWs that the VST will run in, but they might be the most popular for that specific type of instrument / effect. Some other product descriptions seems to be taken directly from the developer. If you check for VPS Avenger for example, it does say VST2 and VST3 and also 64bit only.

At the very last end, if you install a VST with a dedicated installer, it should contain all available versions and you can simply pick the one you want. If very unsure in the future, double check with the developer site / download, compared to what Plugin Boutique is saying on their site.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

Aaa. Ok man. Thanks again. I know that VST3 doesn’t work. I can’t understand why they just write VST and don’t mention VST2. Maybe just forget VSTs and stick with REs :):):).

All the Rob Papen VSTs I just bought said just VST but they all work fine in Reason. Hmmm
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

Bought Nebula for €1.04. :):):) and got the session bundle free :):):).
That’ll do me just fine.
Thanks for the help.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information