PX7 RE or free Dexed VST

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2018

Anybody compared them and can give me some pros and cons? The VST looks pretty cool and I’m guessing they do much the same thing but I’d appreciate hearing anything that anybody has to say about them. Thanks :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2018

I don't really understand any of them, so for me it's all about integration which px7 does best, being a RE and all. I think they both sound good, but I often feel like adding effects to get where I want.
:reason: 12, Win10

Loque

21 Dec 2018

Start with the free Dexed, than test PX7 to compare.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
21 Dec 2018
Start with the free Dexed, than test PX7 to compare.
Thanks Loque. Yeah of course. Was just more interested in hearing what other folks had to say about them.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

21 Dec 2018

I will always choose an RE over running a VST in Reason, due to integration - one click install, authorisation & updates as well as workflow & graphical integration into the Rack.

I never actually tried Dexed, because I don't like the GUI, but I suspect that as a VST it's also more CPU intensive.

kuhliloach

21 Dec 2018

Dexed is pretty awesome, and for $25 (on sale) you could buy the FM4 Rack Extension which is also awesome. (Can't comment on PX7)

bitley

21 Dec 2018

PX7 is cleaner - Dexed has the original DX7 noise for better or worth :) Dexed also has some experimental FM engine emulations. It was pretty fun noticing that opening it up actually brings a little noise floor just like an old DX machine does.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2018

To be honest, and I’ll say it again, I’ve git more synths than I can shake a stick at. I just like those old ones. It’s looking like Dexed is the one for me. All comes down to the installer. Anyone installed it and can comment?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

QVprod

21 Dec 2018

My FM synthesis knowledge is barely existent, but I tried dexed out years back. works great. Installing is no issue.
antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2018
but I suspect that as a VST it's also more CPU intensive.
Not necessarily. Plenty of VSTs function on par with RE.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2018

QVprod wrote:
21 Dec 2018
My FM synthesis knowledge is barely existent, but I tried dexed out years back. works great. Installing is no issue.
antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2018
but I suspect that as a VST it's also more CPU intensive.
Not necessarily. Plenty of VSTs function on par with RE.
Cool. Thanks. First thing tomorrow :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

22 Dec 2018

PX7 was probably my 2nd ever RE purchase, back when Dexed and VSTs weren't an option in Reason.
PX7 is great, and there's the vast refill for it - but you can't argue with free!

If I want to browse 80s-FM-type patches, PX7 is where I go. If I want to just mess around with FM I tend to go for FM4 as it's a bit simpler for me.

I assume someone must have converted that same vast legacy patch library into Dexed patches?

CPU wise I can't imagine there's much in it. Both are simple machines doing simple 80s maths. Start with Dexed and see how you get on.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2018

I got Dexed and am liking it a lot. It's not like I need any more synths but like you say "free is good". The €49 I saved on PX7 can really put to better use :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

22 Dec 2018

For me, PX7 is my choice.
The macro sliders help greatly to easily alter sounds and get them to where I want quickly. I like the layout of PX7 much more and also the fact that it fits in the rack. There's plenty of legacy patches out there to load, but there's also the ReFills available, such as the ones by Nucleus SoundLab, Navi Retlav, and bitley.

madmacman

22 Dec 2018

joeyluck wrote:
22 Dec 2018
For me, PX7 is my choice.
The macro sliders help greatly to easily alter sounds and get them to where I want quickly. I like the layout of PX7 much more and also the fact that it fits in the rack. There's plenty of legacy patches out there to load, but there's also the ReFills available, such as the ones by Nucleus SoundLab, Navi Retlav, and bitley.
I have tons of patches from my hardware DX7 on my computer. Unlike dexed which directly loads original sysex format (and could also serve as an online editor for external DX7 hardware) I would have to do the tedious task of online (yuck) conversion into native repatch format.

If PX7 could directly import DX sysex, I would probably change my mind. But this is not provided by the SDK.

two shoes

22 Dec 2018

I really like the DX7 patch converter thing you can use to load DX7 patches into PX7 - there's a million interesting DX7 patch banks floating around on the internet to explore. For some reason I find it easier to create patches I like myself in FM4 than in PX7 though I don't have a very deep understanding of FM programming so admittedly I'm fumbling about on either synth. If you really like FM sounds wait for a good sale and get both.

I just looked at the Dexed gui for the first time - yikes!

joeyluck

22 Dec 2018

two shoes wrote:
22 Dec 2018
I really like the DX7 patch converter thing you can use to load DX7 patches into PX7 - there's a million interesting DX7 patch banks floating around on the internet to explore. For some reason I find it easier to create patches I like myself in FM4 than in PX7 though I don't have a very deep understanding of FM programming so admittedly I'm fumbling about on either synth. If you really like FM sounds wait for a good sale and get both.

PX7 is currently on sale for 50% off

bitley

23 Dec 2018

two shoes wrote:
22 Dec 2018

https://www.propellerheads.com/dx7-px7-converter/

Can someone please tell me the easiest way of "translating" my TX81Z patches? I have made three banks of sounds for it. Would be lovely getting those into the PX7 somehow - and I know all the differences too - but having a computer translate it would be very easy really. I can do it myself on paper. A script should be everything needed. I have edited sysex data with a text editor before so it might be time for that again.

eusti

23 Dec 2018

bitley wrote:
23 Dec 2018
Can someone please tell me the easiest way of "translating" my TX81Z patches? I have made three banks of sounds for it. Would be lovely getting those into the PX7 somehow - and I know all the differences too - but having a computer translate it would be very easy really. I can do it myself on paper. A script should be everything needed. I have edited sysex data with a text editor before so it might be time for that again.
http://dxconvert.martintarenskeen.nl ?

D.

zumBeispiel

23 Dec 2018

edit
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 23 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

tanni

23 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2018
I will always choose an RE over running a VST in Reason, due to integration - one click install, authorisation & updates as well as workflow & graphical integration into the Rack.
same here. I use PX7.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2018

zumBeispiel wrote:
23 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
23 Dec 2018

When I clicked on the download on the link you posted I got a flashing lights pop up and an Indian voice saying that Edge had detected malware and that I should phone a Microsoft number and send a code via another pop-up and that my internet connection had been shut down. Took me ages before I could get rid of all the crap. Not cool.
That's strange, here it doesn't (safari on mac), I'm so sorry.
The file is downloadable also here, hope it's better:
http://hsjp.eu/downloads/Dexed/Dexed_cart_1.0.zip
Sorry again.
No problem man. I took a look at your other posts as I don't remember you as being one of "those guys" and I was right. Don't know what happened but it was a real pain trying to get it fixed. All good now though and thanks for the link :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jappe

23 Dec 2018

Hello Zumbeispiel and MrFigg,

FYI I deleted you posts with the link, just in case.

Happy Holidays!

zumBeispiel

23 Dec 2018

I'm so sorry!
This is the first time it happens to me.

And for sure this is the last time I post a link in forums.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2018

zumBeispiel wrote:
23 Dec 2018
I'm so sorry!
This is the first time it happens to me.

And for sure this is the last time I post a link in forums.
Don't need to apologise man. Not from my perspective anyway. No harm done and you were only trying to help. Nice that you care though. More and more uncommon these days.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

23 Dec 2018

eusti wrote:
23 Dec 2018
bitley wrote:
23 Dec 2018
http://dxconvert.martintarenskeen.nl ?

D.
Oh you're the man! That's it!!! This will be brilliant!!! I love you man!

• Information