LePetite Excite

Discuss VST stuff here!
Creativemind

11 Nov 2018

Hi All!

Just downloaded a free VST I found on Plug-in Boutique called LePetite Excite. An exciter.

Can anyone explain what an exciter does? I've provided a pic if anyone can explain this VST as there's no documentation.

Is it kind of a saturation device. Is the Low parameter, low harmonics? and the High parameter, high harmonics?

Thanks!
Attachments
LePetite Excite.PNG
LePetite Excite.PNG (227.08 KiB) Viewed 529 times
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2018

If you take a listen to what it's doing when you change the parameters it sounds like it splits the frequency into bands(not sure how many) and "low" saturates the low band and high saturates the high band. For the low parameter, it's probably doing something similar to the "Keep Low" setting on Saturation Knob. There would be some parallel processing happening as well. It could be doing other stuff, maybe the low parameter also does a low cut and bump? Or maybe the high frequency has some EQ applied, but it doesn't sound like it to me

motuscott

11 Nov 2018

gotta say, great plug in name.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

NekujaK

11 Nov 2018

Exciters typically generate additional harmonics for a given audio range - hence the High and Low knobs. The resulting sound is brighter and/or richer, but if you dial in too much, it will sound unpleasantly harsh or muddy. LePetite Excite is one of the better freebie exciters out there.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Loque

12 Nov 2018

Sooooo...i can create a similar effect with a parallel channel and a tilt eq before it goes into the saturation device?
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

14 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:Sooooo...i can create a similar effect with a parallel channel and a tilt eq before it goes into the saturation device?
Not quite.
Try instead to use a stereo imager to split the signal on the parallel channel, then add saturation only to the high signal while running the low signal dry.
Otherwise you may end up adding high end AND high saturation.
For example, if you just add a HP filter and saturation, you’re adding a bunch of high frequency energy to the signal.

A better way to think of it would be to add a band splitter/crossover to the main channel and not use a parallel channel. Now you have two channels, low frequency and high frequency. From here you can add saturation on either channel with a dry/wet control and on the high channel you’ll get a more “traditional” exciter effect.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

14 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
14 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:Sooooo...i can create a similar effect with a parallel channel and a tilt eq before it goes into the saturation device?
Not quite.
Try instead to use a stereo imager to split the signal on the parallel channel, then add saturation only to the high signal while running the low signal dry.
Otherwise you may end up adding high end AND high saturation.
For example, if you just add a HP filter and saturation, you’re adding a bunch of high frequency energy to the signal.

A better way to think of it would be to add a band splitter/crossover to the main channel and not use a parallel channel. Now you have two channels, low frequency and high frequency. From here you can add saturation on either channel with a dry/wet control and on the high channel you’ll get a more “traditional” exciter effect.

Ok, thanks. I will keep this in mind.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

23 Nov 2018

So generally speaking, an exciter (although not in every case) is a saturation device that only works on the high end?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

23 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:So generally speaking, an exciter (although not in every case) is a saturation device that only works on the high end?
Yes, generally speaking the saturation (called “harmonic synthesis” “harmonic generation” and other catch phrases) is the basic foundation of the effect, only added to the higher frequencies and often added in parallel with the original signal.

Selig Audio, LLC

• Information