Transfuser 2 on Reason 10.2?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Iggster

31 Oct 2018

I've noticed that Transfuser 2 is on sale at Plugin Boutique and it looks pretty amazing! I seem to have collected endless synth REs and VSTs including a couple of Airs own synths but this VST looks like something a little different!

I have read somewhere that someone had an issue using it in Reason with the edit section in the bottom 1/3 of the Transfuser screen missing. Can those of you who are using this please let me know if this was just a one off issue and it's now working okay with Reason?

Thanks in advance!

Iggster

31 Oct 2018

Sorry can admin change the thread title to Reason 10.2? Cheers

ruso2018

02 Nov 2018

Works fine in Reason 10.2.

I love this plugin beacuse it fulfills a need that Reason leaves unfulfilled. Namely the ability to preview loops/samples in sync with the song.

It has many other perks, like the beatcutter effect.

The wrapper issue is no big deal, simply close and reopen the plugin window.

mojo

03 Nov 2018

I had this display problem on a 15 inch laptop with reason 10.1 I didn't had in renoise. Now my laptop is dead and I have no computer to test with 10.2.

Try it if you can. It's a nice ideas generator.

Iggster

07 Nov 2018

Thanks Mojo.

Yeah I downloaded the trial at the weekend and it's pretty good tho I must confess i'm a little lost with it!

I can confirm tho that the display issue at the bottom of the device window is still there sometimes. If you move the window into a new position and open open/close the device editor, this seems to clear it up.

Its no biggy for me as it only affects the very bottom edge and I can sort fairly easy if i need to use that part of the editor. If I buy the VST I may report to PH to see if they can fix during their release of 10.3 as i'm guessing this is in the spirit of the 10.3 release to make VSTs work better anyway!

DonnieAlan

08 Nov 2018

I was the one who first reported the issue with Transfuser 2 on Reason 9.5, which is what I'm still running. I reported the issue to both the P-heads and AIR. The workaround for me was to open the VST version of Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork in Reason, then host Transfuser in Patchwork. That solved the problem.

I noticed a couple here said that in Reason 10.X they're not having the issue. Perhaps whatever the issue was got solved with Reason's VST hosting.

You're correct about Transfuser though. Its one of the most versatile plugins around. Its not JUST a groove maker or drum player by a long shot. It does so much more than that.

It comes with synths, drums and a boatload of FX as well.

Also, it can be used as FX for other audio.

You can load in your own samples and chop them up any way you wish...great for creating unique vocal fx (ie, stutters, reverses, etc).

And, you can route each module out to its own Audio separately for further processing and mixing. And, you assign each module to respond to its own MIDI channel, opening up major possibilities for varying up the groove, beat or whatever its playing.

And, each groove can have up to 12 variations PER MODULE, each triggered by its own MIDI note. Transfuser is a "must have" in my opinion.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2018

How's that smart randomizer when used on melodies/basslines? Does it give useful results?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DonnieAlan

09 Nov 2018

Boombastix wrote:
09 Nov 2018
How's that smart randomizer when used on melodies/basslines? Does it give useful results?

I believe you're referring to the MARIO feature. The short answer is yes, it does give very useful results. How useful depends entirely on what you're looking for. Because you can select what gets randomized, and by how much, results can vary all over the place. Its worth taking time to experiment with it to see exactly how it works. I use it all the time to create subtle variations to rhythms or note sequences. You can easily undo any change and start again and change parameters, or increase how much randomization takes place (or both). You can also randomize several parameters at once: sequence, reverses, panning, etc. Saving a result you like is super easy too., Its a great tool and one I use often.

Also, the Beatcutter effect plugin in Transfuser can offer up some interesting variations. You can send any audio to Transfuser and use it as strictly an effect strip. Beatcutter can take the incoming audio and do all sorts of fun things with it depending on what you select: note order, repeats, gate, freeze, etc.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with all that Transfuser can do!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2018

DonnieAlan wrote: I don't think you'll be disappointed with that Transfuser can do!
Thanks, yes I meant MARIO.
I'm more more concerned with the learning curve, but that's probably ok.

Can you drag n drop Midi clips, say a bass line, from Reason or Windows?
Then use MARIO and drag n drop the new Midi back into Reason?

DonnieAlan

10 Nov 2018

Boombastix wrote:
09 Nov 2018
DonnieAlan wrote: I don't think you'll be disappointed with that Transfuser can do!

No. In Transfuser you are manipulating audio, not MIDI data. To do what you want to do, first create the bass track using your MIDI and whatever bass patch you want from whatever VI or synth you choose. Then, import that audio clip (up to 4 measures) into Transfuser and THEN apply Mario to create variations. OR...route the audio from the bass track to Transfuer and use Transfuser as an effect and use Beatcutter insert, and listen to what happens as you manipulate the various parameters on that. Great way to create random variations...and you can even assign the various parameter controls to one of the omni controls to automate those changes during playback.

But, no, Transfuser doesn't manipulate MIDI data.

submonsterz

10 Nov 2018

DonnieAlan wrote:
10 Nov 2018
Boombastix wrote:
09 Nov 2018

No. In Transfuser you are manipulating audio, not MIDI data. To do what you want to do, first create the bass track using your MIDI and whatever bass patch you want from whatever VI or synth you choose. Then, import that audio clip (up to 4 measures) into Transfuser and THEN apply Mario to create variations. OR...route the audio from the bass track to Transfuer and use Transfuser as an effect and use Beatcutter insert, and listen to what happens as you manipulate the various parameters on that. Great way to create random variations...and you can even assign the various parameter controls to one of the omni controls to automate those changes during playback.

Your half right half wrong .
I've not found a way to drag out of reason timeline midi clips to transfused but you just say for instance have a drum module or say a bass module loaded with your patterns in transfuser and to drag them midi note sequences to reason time line just go to the seq part in instrument panel and select it so the edit window at bottom is there and go to the little keyboard part on pattern and just left click hold and drag from any of the keys on it to drag that particular pattern to reason time line as midi.
But as always you gonna need to drop the octave down two on reason clip it makes as everything is all ways two octaves different to reasons octaves to get it matched. Enjoy the tip Mr Alan.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2018

submonsterz wrote:
DonnieAlan wrote:
10 Nov 2018

I've not found a way to drag out of reason timeline midi clips to transfused but you just say for instance have a drum module or say a bass module loaded with your patterns in transfuser and to drag them midi note sequences to reason time line just go to the seq part in instrument panel and select it so the edit window at bottom is there and go to the little keyboard part on pattern and just left click hold and drag from any of the keys on it to drag that particular pattern to reason time line as midi.
But as always you gonna need to drop the octave down two on reason clip it makes as everything is all ways two octaves different to reasons octaves to get it matched. Enjoy the tip Mr Alan.
Thanks. Can you manually load up a Midi sequence then use MARIO and drag it into Reason as you mentioned?

What I'm looking for is a way to take an existing Midi bass pattern that I have made and try out new variations using MARIO.

submonsterz

10 Nov 2018

Boombastix wrote:
10 Nov 2018
submonsterz wrote:
Thanks. Can you manually load up a Midi sequence then use MARIO and drag it into Reason as you mentioned?

What I'm looking for is a way to take an existing Midi bass pattern that I have made and try out new variations using MARIO.

I've not found a way to drag or load your own midi sequences into it only load Thier presets into it . As I say you can drag out but not into as far as I can find but I've not used it in a long while and am not at reason at all to see if I can see a way that can be a way to do it sorry.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2018

submonsterz wrote:
Boombastix wrote:
10 Nov 2018

I've not found a way to drag or load your own midi sequences into it only load Thier presets into it . As I say you can drag out but not into as far as I can find but I've not used it in a long while and am not at reason at all to see if I can see a way that can be a way to do it sorry.
This video confirms that you can drag Midi out of it. Would have been nice to drop into it for manipulation. Kinda ruins the workflow if I have to re-enter every sequence. See about 12min.

Iggster

12 Nov 2018

Hey guys,

You may find this to be useful...

http://community.airmusictech.com/airmu ... ransfuser2

It seems to suggest you can import midi data but have to save the midi file first.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Nov 2018

Iggster wrote:Hey guys,

You may find this to be useful...

http://community.airmusictech.com/airmu ... ransfuser2

It seems to suggest you can import midi data but have to save the midi file first.
Excellent, so it seems you CAN drag n drop Midi from the browser, but not from the sequencer. Good enough.

DonnieAlan

12 Nov 2018

Here's the deal on the MIDI. Its not quite as simple as it sounds. You can import a Midi sequence, up to 4 measures, but you have to import it to a sequence module, not a slice module. For drums, you can import a drum MIDI sequence to the Drum sequencer. But for, say, a bass midi sequence, you have to import the midi to a sequence module. Once there, you have to have an instrument for the MIDI sequence to play to hear anything. What you can NOT do is have the MIDI sequence play in Transfuser routed out to some other VI via MIDI from Transfuser. It doesn't work that way.

So, let's say you create a bass sequence on some VI or other, and you have the MIDI part for it (up to 4 measures). To do what you want to do with MARIO inside Transfuser, you can use the Def Bass Synth that is in Transfuser. Import the MIDI to the Sequence section of the module, and you can see the MIDI notes in the sequencer screen. Now, you MIGHT have change the octave range of the sequence for it to play properly. Easy enough to do in the sequence screen, but be aware of that.

Now you may apply MARIO to the sequence and see what variations pop up. Once you get something you like you can export that MIDI sequence from the sequence module screen back into Reason as a MIDI track. Then, play your original bass VI with the new MIDI sequence(s).

So, its not exactly designed to do this in a straightforward way, but it can be done with a few extra steps and planning.

Option 2 is export the bass part up to 4 measures as AUDIO and then import the audio loop into Transfuser using the Slicer mode, and then apply MARIO's magic to it. Then you can export the resulting AUDIO variations as AUDIO back into Reason. Or, better yet, import the original bass line, then apply MARIO variations and assign the different variations to specific trigger notes (C1-B1). You can then have a MIDI track play the trigger notes in any order you wish, calling up the different variations on the fly. When you get what you like, route the audio from the Transfuser module into an Audio track in Reason and record it. You can have up to 12 variations of any one sequence that way and play them in any order you wish. For further randomness, add the Beatcutter to the module and go crazy!

• Information