Any Open-Source Synths I Can Contribute To?

Discuss VST stuff here!
GRIFTY

18 Oct 2018

Hey all. I just finished up my degree a few months ago, and the job market isn't really going crazy for me it seems. I want to contribute to some open-source projects to add to my resume. Are there any synth/computer music related projects anybody knows of that are open source? This is what got me into CS in the first place and I'd like to make some contributions back to the scene.

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2018

GRIFTY wrote:Hey all. I just finished up my degree a few months ago, and the job market isn't really going crazy for me it seems. I want to contribute to some open-source projects to add to my resume. Are there any synth/computer music related projects anybody knows of that are open source? This is what got me into CS in the first place and I'd like to make some contributions back to the scene.
What is your degree in and what type of work are you looking for?

As for the synth idea, you can always get some Reaktor synths going here, I’m happy to contribute.

If you’re really feeling creative and have Reaktor, you can help me finish my JP8000 clone…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

GRIFTY

18 Oct 2018

My degree is actually in Liberal Arts but i minored in Computer Science, and i'm searching for CS jobs at the moment (in california)

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2018

GRIFTY wrote:My degree is actually in Liberal Arts but i minored in Computer Science, and i'm searching for CS jobs at the moment (in california)
Check your PM…

And do you have Reaktor?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

rcbuse
RE Developer

18 Oct 2018

Once upon a time I had a fresh degree and no job and wrote a small MIDI sequencer. I would suggest setting out on your own and doing your own thing. Contributing to existing open source projects and maintaining them comes with a whole bag of issues you want to avoid when starting out and just wanting to code. The most important thing is starting small and finishing.

fotizimo

18 Oct 2018

joeyluck wrote:
18 Oct 2018
There is Helm by Matt Tytel (you may know him from Little IO / Little LFO Rack Extension)

https://tytel.org/helm/
https://github.com/mtytel/helm
Wow, I had no idea Matt was the guy from Little IO.

GRIFTY, why not see if Matt wants help bringing Helm to the IOS environment as an AU or something? That synth would work wonders in that space.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2018

GRIFTY wrote:
18 Oct 2018
Hey all. I just finished up my degree a few months ago, and the job market isn't really going crazy for me it seems. I want to contribute to some open-source projects to add to my resume. Are there any synth/computer music related projects anybody knows of that are open source? This is what got me into CS in the first place and I'd like to make some contributions back to the scene.
Congrats. Any idea what sort of roles interests you?

You are right in wanting to build up your portfolio. What is most attractive is having your own projects that show your competency in bringing a project to completion and makes it much easier to judge your talent.

Contributing to open source projects may help demonstrate your ability to work with an existing codebase and to work with a team, but most recruiters seem to prefer personal projects as most of the value might not be coming from you.

One thing to note, algorithmic tests are very common nowadays so it might be worth checking out Elements of Programming Interviews if you want to be sharp, plus it features everything from 2-day cramming plans to more comprehensive learning plans.

I'll echo rcbuse in choosing something that interests you. Firstly you're just much more likely to do something interesting with it. Secondly it's far too easy to fall into the trap of trying to chase the market and in the process ending up with uninspiring projects using whatever fad was popular at the time.

Besides, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from just making some Rack Extensions. You can borrow code from Musicdsp.org or this collection of DSP C++ classes while there are plenty of free resources for DSP.

Ahornberg

19 Oct 2018

check out VCV https://github.com/VCVRack
I found it easy to write a module for VCV

• Information