d16's LuSH-101 on sale again.

Discuss VST stuff here!
Lizard

23 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote:
23 Oct 2018
How does it compare to Roland's SH-101?
I don't own the Lush 101 to make a statement on how they compare sound wise but just wanted to say from what I see of Lush 101 it is nothing like a SH-101. I own an SH-101 and I think was makes that unit so special is the simplicity of what it is. Multi-timbral and multi layered abilities Lush has are so far away from what what the SH-101 was IMO. The same could be said about a TB-303 right? Thor can in many ways be made to sound like the 303. Can Lush emulate the sound? I'm sure it could. But for me the features seem so way over Roland's machine that I would lose the magic in using it. I wouldn't even find it fair to make a comparison and would probably never reach for it when I was thinking that I needed a good SH-101 sound. If you were wanting a device to be comparable to the SH I would suggest Tal Bassline or the Roland VST from Rolan'd cloud service. I would still say that based on the demo sounds and the price tag of $40 it looks to be a worthy purchase. I've spent more on less. ;)

tallguy

27 Oct 2018

I got it. As it's still on sale, a few quick thoughts.

- I'm liking the sound design possibilities. It's not just a SH-101 emulator. It's up to eight instances of a SH-101, each with its own arpeggiator, effects and mod matrix. Instances can be assigned ranges on the keyboard or just layered. Everything goes through a basic mixer with some more master effects and each SH-101 instance can be routed to a separate audio out.

- They captured the classic Roland interface really well. Took this old Juno-106 head no time to get up to speed.

- No undo :shock:

- Mod matrix is very basic. The list of sources is rather... meagre. You can't even use any of the LFOs as a source.

- CV programmer doesn't seem to do anything. Actually, it does, see next post
Last edited by tallguy on 27 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2018

tallguy wrote:
27 Oct 2018

- CV programmer doesn't seem to do anything. There's just a list of unnamed parameters that don't seem to connect to anything in the synth.
The device needs to be doubled mapped, so inside you create the parameters you want then from outside you map to them, that's how it had to be done for the Nektar P series mapping and it will be the same for the programmer.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (292.07 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (65.13 KiB) Viewed 601 times

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

tallguy

27 Oct 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
27 Oct 2018

The device needs to be doubled mapped, so inside you create the parameters you want then from outside you map to them, that's how it had to be done for the Nektar P series mapping and it will be the same for the programmer.
Thanks for correcting me. But Holy Mother of Zeus, what a workaround.

In fact, does it come with a default mapping?

qn5

30 Oct 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
27 Oct 2018
tallguy wrote:
27 Oct 2018

- CV programmer doesn't seem to do anything. There's just a list of unnamed parameters that don't seem to connect to anything in the synth.
Oh man, yowsers. Yeah, I'm way too lazy for this. haha
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

• Information