Valhalla Shimmer Broken in 10.2

Discuss VST stuff here!
KellyForte

01 Oct 2018

The Valhalla Shimmer VST plugin is not working right after upgrading Reason to 10.2. After I release a note, the reverb tail gets cut off after a few seconds. It resumes (as if it were paused) after playing another note.

This did not happen in previous versions. Is there something I can do to fix it? Thank you very much for your help.

RoryM0

02 Oct 2018

I just discovered the same problem with Valhalla Vintage Verb, SpaceModulator and Freq Echo. As soon as the instrument tail finishes the reverb tail cuts off. If I play another note you can hear the the priviously cut off reverb tail still ringing out under the new one.

tiker01

02 Oct 2018

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2018

Being on a Mac I usually think "ha - this is probably another windows-only bug" but nope, I am seeing the same behavior. Weird.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

riemac

03 Oct 2018

I'm on windows. This is very strange. When valhalla vintage verb is used as a send fx it seems to work fine at first.
But when I put an EQ befor vintage verb in the send fx chain I have the same problem, the reverb tail stops immediately after the source sound has stopped.

When I put vintage verb as an insert fx I have the problem all the time.

Has somebody reported this bug already on the Propellerhead support page?

Breach The Sky

03 Oct 2018

riemac wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Has somebody reported this bug already on the Propellerhead support page?
Yes, I have. I discovered it at the very last day of the beta and they obviously didn't have time to fix it before release. I talked to their QA lead so they are aware. It has to do with envelope (or something), as mentioned.

Hope it get fixed soon. Won't update until then. Can't be without my lovely Valhalla reverbs...

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2018

So Propellerhead can break VST plugins. Interesting.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

tanni

04 Oct 2018

I have the same problems with all my Valhalla plugins.
Thats a no go for me, because I have the awesome Valhalla plugins in every of my last songs. :(
Hope, propellerheads fixes this soon.

EnochLight

04 Oct 2018

hurricane wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Any DAW update can break any VST's operation, if done the right (wrong) way. :puf_bigsmile: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

04 Oct 2018

hurricane wrote:
03 Oct 2018
If Props broke something it would affect every single VST not just Valhalla. This is more likely a bug with Valhalla plug-ins.

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2018

miscend wrote:
04 Oct 2018
hurricane wrote:
03 Oct 2018
If Props broke something it would affect every single VST not just Valhalla. This is more likely a bug with Valhalla plug-ins.
According to Breach it's a Prop thing.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Breach The Sky

04 Oct 2018

hurricane wrote:
04 Oct 2018
According to Breach it's a Prop thing.
Yeah, It must be on Props end because they worked just fine in 10.1. Besides, it's not only Valhalla plugins, 2C Breeze 2 is broken to.

friday

05 Oct 2018

Same here. Has someone checked if it also happens when you render?

Thats very uncool, because it breaks a lot of my shortly before the end projects :-(

Has the Props gave a feedback to someone?

olive6741

06 Oct 2018

I found a workaround to use Valhalla Reverbs and FreqEcho (as well as Acon digital cm verb, affected too) : just put a Khs Vst gain (free I think) in front of Valhalla device in the effect chain. Only Vst version work. As it does nothing when set at 0.00db, this is a way to continue to use Valhalla reverbs with a small cpu inpact. Hope it helps.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2018

Cool - it also works when I put an empty Waves Studiorack before it. :thumbs_up:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

seqoi

06 Oct 2018

My guess is that they (Propellerheads) are testing smart optimization for VST plugins but they did it "in background" so to speak - without telling us. So basically when sound note is released they are stopping a plugin processing hoping to make some performance gain. FL Studio had similar features for 10 years now but you can toggle it on or off.

They call it Smart Disable in FL Studio. Other apps such as Cubase also have this.

Read here:

https://www.image-line.com/support/flst ... pp_opt.htm

Smart Disable - Enable Smart disable on the Audio Settings and then run the Tools Menu > Macros Switch smart disable for all plugins. This will disable effects & instruments when they are not making any sound and can decrease CPU usage significantly. If this global option causes issues with any plugins it can be disabled for those individual plugins using the wrapper menu setting 'Smart disable'. NOTE: Smart Disable is active only during live playback, it is temporarily disabled when rendering.

Note - this is only my guess - a guess. It could certainly explain cutting off reverb tails..

seqoi

06 Oct 2018

tiker01 wrote:
02 Oct 2018
Report it to Propellerhead!

https://help.propellerheads.se/hc/en-us/requests/new

Just for your info - i reported few bugs lately in that link but support never answered anything. A bit discouraging if you ask me. Yes i was very details and yes i explained everything and yes these issues were confirmed by other users.

So i believe reporting to their support ticket system isn't doing anything actually. I may be wrong though.,

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2018

seqoi wrote:
06 Oct 2018

Smart Disable - Enable Smart disable on the Audio Settings and then run the Tools Menu > Macros Switch smart disable for all plugins. This will disable effects & instruments when they are not making any sound and can decrease CPU usage significantly. If this global option causes issues with any plugins it can be disabled for those individual plugins using the wrapper menu setting 'Smart disable'. NOTE: Smart Disable is active only during live playback, it is temporarily disabled when rendering.

Note - this is only my guess - a guess. It could certainly explain cutting off reverb tails..
Interesting theory but it's not cutting off the tails of my Arts Acoustic or U-he A reverbs.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

ruso2018

07 Oct 2018

Same problem with AIR plugins (AIRReverb and AIR Spring Reverb).

olive6741 workaround you suggested works great, thanks!

Hope this gets fixed soon...

AzureEyes

07 Oct 2018

KellyForte wrote:The Valhalla Shimmer VST plugin is not working right after upgrading Reason to 10.2. After I release a note, the reverb tail gets cut off after a few seconds. It resumes (as if it were paused) after playing another note.

This did not happen in previous versions. Is there something I can do to fix it? Thank you very much for your help.
I've noticed all my Valhalla stuff does this! It's quite annoying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

friday

09 Oct 2018

Any news on this? No feedback from Props?

supersplaron

10 Oct 2018

This is known bug and we're working on it. Thanks!

friday

10 Oct 2018

supersplaron wrote:
10 Oct 2018
This is known bug and we're working on it. Thanks!
Good to see a official statement, but this is a big issue, please inform your customer with the newsletter. So that they can wait for a update, before they render tracks and then send it out. Because in a full track it is hard to hear the impact, if you use short reverbs!

Mistakes can happen but the behavior after that decides about the impact!

friday

11 Oct 2018

When i am thinking about it 🤔 I noticed that with version 10.2, now the always discussed "reason sound" is there 😂

kefkekeyser

24 Oct 2018

Any update on the VST issues?
Is it save to upgrade to 10.2 or should I wait?

• Information