Vember Audio Surge (baby Serum), was $99, now FREE

Discuss VST stuff here!
Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2018

They guy behind Bitwig decided to give his Surge VSTi away for free (open source).
It looks a bit dated but does some very nice sounds and great for sound design. Quite a few presets too.

Info here: http://vemberaudio.se/surge.php
Download here: https://github.com/kurasu/surge/releases
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

26 Sep 2018

Interesting...thanks. Is it available as 64bit Windows?
Reason12, Win10

ltbrunt00

26 Sep 2018

I am at work and will check this out tonight.

http://vemberaudio.se/surge.php

--------------------From their website---------------------------------------------------------
Binary is beautiful

A digital recording is just a sequence of numbers. Easily quantifiable as ones and zeros, stored on physical media, combined together into larger numbers to form a continuous stream of data.

Surge - Digital and proud of it

Until you listen to it. Then it becomes real.

Surge is an instrument capable of generating truly beautiful sequences of numbers. Your ears will agree with us.
More than the sum of its parts

Architecturally speaking, Surge is a rather complex synthesizer. But because of how it's put together it's still easy to learn. Once you do, you will turn the sounds in your head to audio faster than ever.

The effortless workflow, attention to detail and the sound quality can't really be appreciated without trying it yourself.

SURGE is now open-source

As of 21th September 2018, Surge stopped being a commercial product and became an open-source project released under the GNU GPL v3 license.

For the existing users this will allow the community to make sure that it remains compatible as plug-in standards and Operating Systems evolve.

For everyone else, this is an exiting new free synth to use, hack, port, improve or do whatever you want with!

Source-code and binaries available on GitHub
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specifications (v1.5.1a):
General

Synthesis method: Subtractive hybrid
Each patch contain two 'scenes' which are separate instances of the entire synthesis engine (except effects) that can be used for layering or split patches.
Quick category-based patch-browser
Future proof, comes as both a 32 & 64-bit VST plugin (Windows PC)
Universal Binary for both VST and AU (Mac)

Factory sounds

1010 patches
183 wavetables

Oscillators

3 oscillators/voice
8 versatile oscillator algorithms: Classic, Sine, Wavetable, Window, FM2, FM3, S/H Noise and Audio-input
The classic oscillator is a morphable pulse/saw/dualsaw oscillator with a sub-oscillator and self-sync.
The FM2/FM3 oscillators consists of a 1 carrier with 2/3 modulators and various options.
Most algorithms (except FM2, FM3, Sine and Audio-input) offer up to 16-voice unison at the oscillator level.
Oscillator FM/ringmodulation
Most oscillator algorithms (except FM2/FM3) are strictly band-limited yet still cover the entire audible spectrum, delivering a clear punchy yet clean sound.
Noise generator with variable spectrum.

Filterblock

Two filter-units with arrangeable in 8 different configurations
Feedback loop (number of variations inside the parenthesis)
Available filter-algorithms: LP12 (3), LP24 (3), LP24L (1-4 poles), HP12 (3), HP24 (3), BP (4), Notch (2), Comb (4), S&H
Filters can self-oscillate (with excitation) and respond amazingly fast to cutoff frequency changes.
Waveshaper (5 shapes)

Modulation

12 LFO-units available to each voice (6 are running on each voice and 6 are shared for the scene)
DAHDSR envelope generators on every LFO-unit
7 deformable LFO-waveforms + 1 drawable/stepsequencer waveform
LFO1 allows envelope retriggering when used as stepsequencer
Extremely fast and flexible modulation routing. Almost every continuous parameter can be modulated.

Effects

8 effect units arranged as 2 inserts/scene, 2 sends and 2 master effects
10 top-quality algorithms: Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Phaser, EQ, Distortion, Conditioner (EQ, stereo-image control & limiter), Rotary speaker, Frequency shifter, Vocoder

System Requirements (Windows PC)

A computer running Windows 2000/2003/XP (32/64-bit) or newer
The computer's CPU must support the SSE instruction set. This is supported on Intel Pentium 3/4/M, Core, Core2 and AMD Athlon XP/64/X2 (and newer) processors.
256 MB RAM
A VST-compatible Host application
An x64-compatible CPU, OS and Host is required to use the 64-bit version

System Requirements (Mac)

Requires Mac OS X v.10.3.9 or later.
Any Intel Mac or a PowerPC Mac with a 1GHz G4/G5 or faster CPU
256 MB RAM
An AU or VST2.4-compatible Host application
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Micha1973

26 Sep 2018

Who is the downloadlink for the exe. i can not find or i´m blind

thanx
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

Loque

26 Sep 2018

Interesting synth. Has some nice sound shaping utilities, where i did not understood everything yet. The GUI is confusing and the routing i did not understood yet. The GUI is ultra tiny, but maybe in future it will be better since they just switched the framework. Popmenus doesnt seem to work. It has trillions of good patches. I like the simple warm/neutral/bright switch - i wish every synth has a simple analog knob, which would do this and also introduce drift and noise.

For free a really nice one. YOu guys should check it out.

Just noticed, that it has a vocoder. Gonna check out, how external audio works with this device. There is also a workaround to let Surge be an fx (rename the dll to surge_fx.dll). Also the rotary and frequency shifter fx sound interesting to check out. Hopefully i can route audio through the filters too.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

27 Sep 2018

Lets make a decision which thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7508696
Reason12, Win10

Bumbum

28 Sep 2018

This is really cpu friendly. Also soundshaping is really nice.

Micha1973

29 Sep 2018

Interesting synth and really cpu friendly.

the sounds are very clear and i hope there are many sounds (banks/presets) available. But i cant find the folder of the sounds... (edit) i make a surege folder mayself in dokuments..

i like the gui and it is very stable.
Music Is My Life
&

student9v

29 Sep 2018

Last edited by student9v on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Bumbum

29 Sep 2018

Micha1973 wrote:
    29 Sep 2018
    Interesting synth and really cpu friendly.

the sounds are very clear and i hope there are many sounds (banks/presets) available. But i cant find the folder of the sounds... (edit) i make a surege folder mayself in dokuments..

i like the gui and it is very stable.
    It came with many many presets, are you browsing right menu?

Micha1973

29 Sep 2018

yes - now i made my own Preset Folder...and it works. thanx
    Music Is My Life
    &

PinkSlime

30 Sep 2018

this synth is very very nice. Thank you!! Will be using it a lot. :puf_smile:

craven

01 Oct 2018

did anyone get it for the Mac? Did you compile it yourself?
    :ugeek:

Mr. Watts

06 Oct 2018

This synth is awesome!!! The presets are great, it's low on cpu, isn't too ugly to look at, and it's free. In all honesty though this synth is definitely worth paying for but the fact that it's now a freebie makes it feel like Christmas came early. Even if you've already downloaded 100+ free vst synths and you feel you don't need any more, I recommend you get this one.

• Information