VST plugins similar to the Overdrive-Resonator in the Kong Drum Designer

Discuss VST stuff here!
Vulpes_Lagopus

14 Sep 2018

Hi,

I make mostly synthwave and other retro-ish music, and I'm trying to make my own drum sounds from clean/dry samples of classic drum machines, such as LinnDrum, TR-626, TR-707, RX5, RX11, and so on.

I'm trying to make distinctive snare drum sounds in particular, but I don't want to just simply distort or clip the sound. I want to give my snares character, and I've found the Overdrive/Resonator in the Kong Drum Designer with the D-model at around size 60 and 0 resonance, can add some pretty nice sounding character on snare drums from the already mentioned drum machines.

But the range in which the Overdrive/Resonator produces pleasing results is quite narrow, so the Overdrive/Resonator can only do so much before all my snare drums start to have more or less the same character. I'm therefor looking for VST plugins, free and commercial, that can add character through similar analog resonance/overdrive/saturation fashion as the Overdrive/Resonator does. I have already depleted the Rack Extensions catalog for anything that could possibly function as a resonator, distorter, warper, saturation or similar effect.

Any tips would be much appreciated. :)

Loque

14 Sep 2018

Did not used that thing much yet. Maybe i should try it more.

You ever tried to use it on a parallel channel where you have a BP and EQ before it? What about additional saturation after it? A heavy compressor in between somewhere? Or a transient Shaper? Did I already asked about parallel channel with that processing? Or a step further.. Try it multiband...

Not sure what you are looking for?
Reason12, Win10

NekujaK

14 Sep 2018

Have you tried Reason's Scream? According to the Reason manual, the Resonance control on the Overdrive/Resonator is similar to the Body control in Scream. Scream is capable of a wide range of distortion/saturation effects.

If Scream doesn't do the trick, you might want to look at Trash 2 by iZotope (VST). It's pretty much the kitchen sink of of distortion/saturation units, with lots of configurable options.

Another way to go would be to look at overdrive/distortion plugs for guitar. Check out Kuassa's offerings (RE or VST), plus there are a lot of free guitar VST effects out there, and many of them are quite good. Browse this site for a fun time: http://www.vst4free.com/
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2018

I haven't done an A-B comparison, but you have the Kilohearts Resonator and two different overdirve/distortion units.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information