Vocalsynth 2 Midi mode

Discuss VST stuff here!
giobenoni

14 Sep 2018

Hi guys,

I know how to use VocalSynth as a normal FX. Tight stuff and all that, but I want to use the device as a vocoder responding to midi.

Through another DAW I know how it works : first you just route your original vocal to a new bus, then create a new vocalsynth as a new instrument, put it on Midi mode and put the sidechain on that created bus so the vocal sidechains to whatever you play in the midi track of vocalsynth.

But i can't figure out to do it in Reason though.

Can anyone put me on the correct track?

Thx!

NekujaK

14 Sep 2018

I believe there are some instructions for how to do this in the VocalSynth 2 manual, and there may even be a video from iZotope, but I found them unnecessarily convoluted.

Here's the way I do it - this is basically the same way you setup MIDI control for Reason's Neptune device:

1. Add Vocal Synth 2 to an existing vocal track.

2. Select MIDI Mode for Vocal Synth 2.

3. Right-click the Vocal Synth 2 VST wrapper in the rack, and select Create Track for Vocal Synth.

4. With the new track selected in the sequencer, click the + at the top to add a note lane to the track.

5. Now, with the track playing, play notes on the keyboard to affect the vocal. You can also record or enter MIDI notes in the note line.

Hope that helps!
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

PhillipOrdonez

26 Sep 2018

I think I read somewhere that this isn't possible with Reason?

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, I have vocal synth 1 but I can't remember if I got it to work like that or not...

zero-13

01 Jun 2020

NekujaK wrote:
14 Sep 2018
I believe there are some instructions for how to do this in the VocalSynth 2 manual, and there may even be a video from iZotope, but I found them unnecessarily convoluted.

Here's the way I do it - this is basically the same way you setup MIDI control for Reason's Neptune device:

1. Add Vocal Synth 2 to an existing vocal track.

2. Select MIDI Mode for Vocal Synth 2.

3. Right-click the Vocal Synth 2 VST wrapper in the rack, and select Create Track for Vocal Synth.

4. With the new track selected in the sequencer, click the + at the top to add a note lane to the track.

5. Now, with the track playing, play notes on the keyboard to affect the vocal. You can also record or enter MIDI notes in the note line.

Hope that helps!
Resurrected this thread to say thank you!

This worked perfectly and is exactly what I was looking for!

• Information