Kontakt slow loading times

Discuss VST stuff here!
provinceofnowhere

02 Sep 2018

Does anyone else have this problem? The VST window takes ages to load (literally 3 - 4 minutes) whenever I try to open it, even if it is already running.

WongoTheSane

02 Sep 2018

Instantaneous here. Is it the full version of Kontakt? I'm asking because it might be caused by authentication, can you launch it outside of Reason to check?

eusti

02 Sep 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Instantaneous here. Is it the full version of Kontakt? I'm asking because it might be caused by authentication, can you launch it outside of Reason to check?
Interesting. I actually have the same issue... Takes forever to load... Makes me actually hesitate to use any Kontakt insturments...
:(

Edit: Full version of Kontakt here.

D.

esselfortium

02 Sep 2018

It sometimes takes a while for me here as well, running the latest full version of Kontakt. It’s far from unusable here, though. What sorts of libraries are you using with it and how large are they? I’m curious if it has any effect on the slow loading time or if it’s unrelated.

It’s even worse with UVI Workstation, which actually locks up Reason for 30-90 seconds when dragging a saved instrument patch from Reason’s browser into the rack.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

tibah

02 Sep 2018

Instantly here. Windows 7. Kontakt Player. I only run it for 2 solo string instruments, but I would guess it doesn't matter how many libraries you got attached to it.

provinceofnowhere

02 Sep 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Thanks, I didn't realise it worked standalone as well. That worked all fine.

Full version 5, on Mac.
eusti wrote:
02 Sep 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Interesting. I actually have the same issue... Takes forever to load... Makes me actually hesitate to use any Kontakt insturments...

Edit: Full version of Kontakt here.

D.
Yeah, glad someone else feels my pain. Currently trying to make NNXT patches using the samples from the Kontakt folders. Are you on a Mac?
esselfortium wrote:
02 Sep 2018
It sometimes takes a while for me here as well, running the latest full version of Kontakt. It’s far from unusable here, though. What sorts of libraries are you using with it and how large are they? I’m curious if it has any effect on the slow loading time or if it’s unrelated.

It’s even worse with UVI Workstation, which actually locks up Reason for 30-90 seconds when dragging a saved instrument patch from Reason’s browser into the rack.
I don't have anything to use as comparison, the only Kontakt instruments I'm using are monophonic synth basses. I can't imagine they would give it any problem due to complexity.
tibah wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Instantly here. Windows 7. Kontakt Player. I only run it for 2 solo string instruments, but I would guess it doesn't matter how many libraries you got attached to it.
Lucky for some. Wonder if it's a Mac issue.

xylyx

02 Sep 2018

Instant for me too. Full version on Win 10.

chimp_spanner

02 Sep 2018

Hm. Just seen your on Mac. My suggestion *was* gonna be to exclude your sample library and NI resources locations from Windows Firewall. Buuut I guess that's not applicable. Shame because that fixed like 99% of my Kontakt issues. I mean if you're using any kind of antivirus software then it's still worth a shot anyway. Otherwise, not a clue! Never used a Mac so I can't help too much there. Hope you get it sorted!

provinceofnowhere

02 Sep 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Hm. Just seen your on Mac. My suggestion *was* gonna be to exclude your sample library and NI resources locations from Windows Firewall. Buuut I guess that's not applicable. Shame because that fixed like 99% of my Kontakt issues. I mean if you're using any kind of antivirus software then it's still worth a shot anyway. Otherwise, not a clue! Never used a Mac so I can't help too much there. Hope you get it sorted!
Yeah I saw that after a quick google around but not using anything here. Cheers anyway.

eusti

02 Sep 2018

Yes, I'm on a Mac.

D.

Ahornberg

03 Sep 2018

From my experience it depends on the type of harddisk where the samples are stored:

* SSD is very quick
* old school HDs take longer

eusti

03 Sep 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
03 Sep 2018
From my experience it depends on the type of harddisk where the samples are stored:

* SSD is very quick
I have two built in SSDs. Still slow here. :(

D.

selig
RE Developer

03 Sep 2018

eusti wrote:
03 Sep 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
03 Sep 2018

* SSD is very quick

D.
I have a generic external drive, and instantaneous here.
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

03 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2018
eusti wrote:
03 Sep 2018

D.
I have a generic external drive, and instantaneous here.
Huh. Interesting... Here it's 5 seconds to load Kontakt after I drop it into place and about 1.5 minutes when loading Wave Alchemy's Revolution for instance... I might need to investigate... :/ Thought that just was how slow it loaded for everyone...

D.

Soeno

03 Sep 2018

batch-resave from the file menu in kontakt could help for slow/big libraries too

eusti

03 Sep 2018

Soeno wrote:
03 Sep 2018
batch-resave from the file menu in kontakt could help for slow/big libraries too
Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately in my case this didn't fix my issues. :(

D.

eusti

03 Sep 2018

Very interesting... Seems that Revolution is actually the slowest of my libraries to load... Will investigate a bit more!

D.

Edit: Similarly sized instruments as Session Guitarist, Strummed Acoustic (7.66 GB) loads in 5.68 seconds, Wave Alchemy's Revolution takes 1 minute and 25 seconds on my system... Contacted WA and waiting to hear from them.

D.

househoppin09

03 Sep 2018

I have Revolution and have never been able to get it to load in less than 2 minutes. Granted, I'm loading it off a non-SSD external drive, which I'm sure is probably making things worse, but I don't think that's the main issue. The sheer number of samples (as opposed to overall size in bytes) in the main Revolution instrument is just astronomical, and the long load times are about what I've come to expect from a Kontakt instrument with such a high sample count. Of course, if you delete the Kontakt instance and then immediately create a new one and load Revolution again, it should load within seconds, but on a first load it's normal for it to take ages. Do post back here if WA has any recommendations, though! I've never bothered asking them about this, so maybe there's something that can be done.

eusti

08 Sep 2018

househoppin09 wrote:
03 Sep 2018
I have Revolution and have never been able to get it to load in less than 2 minutes. Granted, I'm loading it off a non-SSD external drive, which I'm sure is probably making things worse, but I don't think that's the main issue. The sheer number of samples (as opposed to overall size in bytes) in the main Revolution instrument is just astronomical, and the long load times are about what I've come to expect from a Kontakt instrument with such a high sample count. Of course, if you delete the Kontakt instance and then immediately create a new one and load Revolution again, it should load within seconds, but on a first load it's normal for it to take ages. Do post back here if WA has any recommendations, though! I've never bothered asking them about this, so maybe there's something that can be done.
I'm still in contact with Dan from WA, but so far it seems like after batch resaving Revolution in the Kontakt stand alone version it loads there in 11 seconds on my system. Wonderful... Back in Reason I'm back at 1 minute 21 seconds... :/ I hope the Props are really going to fix their VST performance soon...

Just did a comparison with Kontakt in Garageband: Load time for Revolution there is less than 13 seconds...

D.

• Information