T-Racks 5

Discuss VST stuff here!
Popey
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2018

Hi i used to have access to a studio but now no longer and wish to try and master some of my work at home. Issue being that obviously working at home means no acoustic treatment (and i am forced to use family space so budget home treatment is a bit of a no no). Cutting to the chase i saw t-racks 5 have a program that references your work against other released material (master match) and wondered if anyone had tried this and what they felt about results. I was thinking this may identify errors in mastering caused by my working environment.

WeLoveYouToo

30 Aug 2018

if you are masteringin an untreated room you should trust a good pair of headphones and your car stereo and your tiny phone speakers before you worry about any sort of super advanced matching programs, thats where people will be listening to anything you master (i assume, unless you are doing brodcast or something). listen to a reference track once and listen just for the reverb, then gain and focus just on the high frequency sounds, listen again etc etc etc until you have sound profiles memorized. take a lot of breaks and listen to your family, the tv, outdoors, etc to recalibrate your ears every 30 minutes. i own a few individual t racks plugins and ozone 7... there is absolutely no noticable differnce in mastering with those versus using stock compressors with the same settings etc. they sound good because they have alot of time saving features and presets.
machine learning is definitly a cool new ability in the audio production world, but so far, it feels like it’s in its infancy and only really works in certain situations.

just download the demo of the master match plugin and see if its worth it!

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2018

Hi thanks for the reply and firstly i didnt notice you could trial it so thanks for informing me. I already listen to my mixes on car stereo, quality headphones, mobile etc as well as my monitors but worry these dont replicate the low end like in a club situation (i create drum and bass, breaks and other edm music). That said after posting and reading your response i had totally forgotten that i can reference against dnb releases and work i completed in a studio environment to see how reverb etc sounds in my new environment. I was more wondering if the master match device would show if i am over compensating on the bass elements etc from a analysis of some kind. There may even be something in reason that allows me to do this but i am new to it so may need to look into it. Appreciate your response its been very helpful

Blast

30 Aug 2018

Popey wrote:
30 Aug 2018
Hi thanks for the reply and firstly i didnt notice you could trial it so thanks for informing me. I already listen to my mixes on car stereo, quality headphones, mobile etc as well as my monitors but worry these dont replicate the low end like in a club situation (i create drum and bass, breaks and other edm music). That said after posting and reading your response i had totally forgotten that i can reference against dnb releases and work i completed in a studio environment to see how reverb etc sounds in my new environment. I was more wondering if the master match device would show if i am over compensating on the bass elements etc from a analysis of some kind. There may even be something in reason that allows me to do this but i am new to it so may need to look into it. Appreciate your response its been very helpful
Try these plugins. They are great for what you want do. https://www.masteringthemix.com

NekujaK

30 Aug 2018

I occasionally use Master Match when I need to quickly finalize a mix. I'm not a mastering engineer, so it helps me zero in on a good starting point. It works reasonably well, and you can adjust how much EQ correction to apply.

There are other "spectrum matching" or "curve stealing" VSTs out there that can do the same thing, including iZotope Ozone, Voxengo CurveEQ, and Newfangled EQuivocate. CurveEQ offers the most options, control, and flexibility, but it's a little more cumbersome to use.

If you just want to apply some light frequency correction to a mix, I recommend trying HoRNet Thirty-One. The price is a steal, and what it does to clean up a mix is pretty remarkable. Sonible SmartEQ performs similar EQ correction, but is considerably more expensive.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2018

Hi blast and nekujak thank you for the responses and their looks like there are plenty of options for me to look into. Think i will be trialling all of the options mentioned at some point over the next few weeks and i am sure the wallet will take a hit soon as they sound like they will provide the referencing i am striving for. Really appreciate your responses and pointing me in the right direction.

groggy1

31 Aug 2018

I tried the Tracks plugin you're referring to, but couldn't get great results. But I think that that speaks to my own skills. :)

I will say though that I've always liked the color/sound that Tracks adds, even back to v1. The v5 plugins are a jump up in sound quality in my opinion - I love the sound I get out of them (for me, mostly on individual instruments and tracks)

NekujaK

31 Aug 2018

Here's one more... I just saw that TDR SlickEQ M is on sale at Plugin Boutique: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... -SlickEQ-M

This mastering EQ has a pink noise matching feature, which can be extremely useful if your mixing environment has less than ideal frequency response. All the TDR products are excellent, BTW.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

kitekrazy

21 Sep 2018

BTW their group buy has achieved 10 for 1.

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2018

This deal just became too good to pass up. Argh, f*ck lol.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2018

Hi just wanted to say i bought tracks5 and also picked up ozone elements 8 free from plugin boutique after getting a £1 vst. Thanks everyone for all the advice on potential software for my needs. Must say went for tracks5 in end as really liked equal and dynamu etc.

Lizard

23 Sep 2018

kitekrazy wrote:
21 Sep 2018
BTW their group buy has achieved 10 for 1.
Sadly... I've had T-Racks 5 and only a few models left. I saw the deal on the first go around and coming off the heels of buy Native Komplete I was frugal in buying choices. It was a potential of buy one get 5 free. I bought in early not expecting it would go all the way never mind a second round. As a result I passed up the Lurssen Mastering software and bought the Leslie rack. I only had like 6 other models to get. Now it is at 10, I still don't have Lurssen and three (3) extra non-transferrable licenses I can't use. So my advice... if you can buy high and then you can get anything. Still an awesome deal 10 for 1.

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2018

Lizard wrote:
23 Sep 2018
So my advice... if you can buy high and then you can get anything. Still an awesome deal 10 for 1.
That's what I did. Bought Lurssen for about $130 thanks to some jam points and now I have my pick of anything, although I think I'm going to wait before I claim all the extras to see if they release anything new. I'm in no rush, and who knows if the new stuff would qualify, but I can wait and find out.

I did though, grab the Bus Compressor, the White Channel, and the Leslie for now - and I'm sort of regretting the Leslie because I don't use the organ for anything, and trying it out on synths is giving me less than desirable results.

Lurssen is pretty sweet and I can see myself using it a lot, especially for my solo piano and piano based stuff.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Lizard

23 Sep 2018

hurricane wrote:
23 Sep 2018

That's what I did. Bought Lurssen for about $130 thanks to some jam points and now I have my pick of anything, although I think I'm going to wait before I claim all the extras to see if they release anything new. I'm in no rush, and who knows if the new stuff would qualify, but I can wait and find out.

I did though, grab the Bus Compressor, the White Channel, and the Leslie for now - and I'm sort of regretting the Leslie because I don't use the organ for anything, and trying it out on synths is giving me less than desirable results.

Lurssen is pretty sweet and I can see myself using it a lot, especially for my solo piano and piano based stuff.
The promotional devices are time limited to claim. Only about 30 days if I recall so don't let anything slip away or you will lose them.

Leslie.... I have it. it's nice. Not the only Leslie emulation I have so not a must have. That said it is good and can be used on more than just organ. Guitar also good.

kitekrazy

01 Oct 2018

I passed on this. I would have got the Lursen, Leslie, and some vintage EQs. I have Ozone, Melda, Waves Gold. It's got to the point of being overwhelmed with plugins. I couldn't tell you what half of the Waves do. There's always the false assumption bundled in a DAW are inferior.

• Information