Reason 10 and Komplete 11

Discuss VST stuff here!
djs

17 Aug 2018

I have several questions about the setup with Reason 10 and Komplete 11 integration. I am new to VSTs.

Are Komplete modules and instruments all separate VSTs? Or do they function as one VST? Could we use reason players (chords, echo) with Komplete instruments? Ie. Reason Chords player with Komplete Gentleman Piano. Are we able to us Reason effects on the VSTs?

Ive read the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol keyboard does not map well with Reason. What other midi keyboards would you suggest?

Despondo
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2018

djs wrote:
17 Aug 2018
I have several questions about the setup with Reason 10 and Komplete 11 integration. I am new to VSTs.

Are Komplete modules and instruments all separate VSTs? Or do they function as one VST? Could we use reason players (chords, echo) with Komplete instruments? Ie. Reason Chords player with Komplete Gentleman Piano. Are we able to us Reason effects on the VSTs?

Ive read the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol keyboard does not map well with Reason. What other midi keyboards would you suggest?
Komplete Kontrol itself can host any of the VST's in the Komplete set, and you can stack them there. Any of the individual VST's (Kontakt, FM8, Reaktor, etc. can run as seperate VST's in the rack as well. Any of these can be controlled by players, as players also work with Reason's VST instrument module. You can use Reason's built-in effects and RE effects on VST instruments, and also the other way around. VST's essentially behave like any other rack device in Reason. Only thing missing is VST3 support and older 32bit VST support (but there are work-arounds for this too) . VST Mulitple MIDI support is not yet available though, so you can't load up one instance of Kontakt and control multiple Kontakt libraries within it. You simply have to create multiple instances of Kontakt in your rack for this, although you can "stack" multiple instruments inside of Kontakt if you want to create a bigger sound for one track.

djs

17 Aug 2018

Despondo wrote:
17 Aug 2018
djs wrote:
17 Aug 2018

Komplete Kontrol itself can host any of the VST's in the Komplete set, and you can stack them there. Any of the individual VST's (Kontakt, FM8, Reaktor, etc. can run as seperate VST's in the rack as well. Any of these can be controlled by players, as players also work with Reason's VST instrument module. You can use Reason's built-in effects and RE effects on VST instruments, and also the other way around. VST's essentially behave like any other rack device in Reason. Only thing missing is VST3 support and older 32bit VST support (but there are work-arounds for this too) . VST Mulitple MIDI support is not yet available though, so you can't load up one instance of Kontakt and control multiple Kontakt libraries within it. You simply have to create multiple instances of Kontakt in your rack for this, although you can "stack" multiple instruments inside of Kontakt if you want to create a bigger sound for one track.
Thanks for the insight. If I understand correctly, using Reason, a separate rack has to be created for each Komplete VST and Kontrol can control one VST at a time?

Is there a drawback to creating mutiple racks for Komplete VSTs? Performance issues?

Overall is Reason + Komplete Kontrol keyboard worth it?

KnowKontrol

17 Aug 2018

Yes and no. I have the komplete kontrol a Jam and a MK3 either you are putting them into general midi mode or writing in the maschine software and reason at the same time which is not all that bad.

If you use it this way where you are writing together the.m yes it’s great. If you plan to mostly just use the library’s directly in reason then no.

It’s all in how you choose to use them.

I personally love the maschine equipment. If you get a Kontrol get a Jam also. It makes the workflow so much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QVprod

18 Aug 2018

djs wrote:
17 Aug 2018
If I understand correctly, using Reason, a separate rack has to be created for each Komplete VST and Kontrol can control one VST at a time?

Is there a drawback to creating mutiple racks for Komplete VSTs? Performance issues?

Overall is Reason + Komplete Kontrol keyboard worth it?
If the intent is to use Komplete Kontrol, then it basically works the same way regular Reason devices do as far as overall workflow. The individual plugins/libraries within Komplete can be used individually without the Komplete Kontrol software though. The entire purpose of the Komplete Kontrol software is for integration with the Komplete Kontrol keyboards.

As far as integration, It will not do well at controlling Reason devices, or Reason itself for that matter, beyond basic functionality like recording midi and maybe transport controls. However, if your intent is to primarily use Komplete Kontrol as a sound source, then the keyboard will work as intended.

As far as performance issues with multiple instances, it depends. There are some cases where multitimbral usage for plugins like Kontakt (included in Komplete) is beneficial, but again if your intent is to use Komplete Kontrol, you'll be using multiple instances anyway as Komplete Kontrol is not multitimbral.

kinkujin

05 Nov 2018

Hi all. I'm reviving this thread as i've got some specific questions and this thread seemed relevant.

I recently made a trade for a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 controller. No software. Nice controller, feels great. Before I decide on purchasing software which is quite expensive I'm sure you all know, I want to pick any users of both Reason and NI products, in particular Komplete 11.

I'd like to "host" Komplete in Reason. So, the question is ... is this how NI software is designed? Is each synth, effect, sampler it's own vst? So it would just a matter of setting up each vst within Reason rack?

Or is the process more involved and confusing? I'm finding alot of conflicting views all over the place and finding it difficult to gain a solid opinion.

Then again, this flow may be a nightmare if the computer system cannot handle the vst (power-wise, macbook pro) with Reason? If that is the case, would that be why users run Komplete in standalone mode and then Rewire it (never done this so I'm just parroting what I've read sort of)?

I guess I'm wondering if I want to enter this universe of NI at all if the workflow with Reason won't be relatively seamless. If it requires several workaround and workflow interruptions, then I may just end up selling the Komplete Kontrol and move on with my life. Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jam-s

05 Nov 2018

With Komplete you get a lot of different VST(i) (see here. All of those things listed there are individual VSTs if they do not belong to the "SAMPLED INSTRUMENTS" or "EXPANSIONS" categories. The sampled instruments are libraries for Kontakt and expansions are just patches or samples for various of those VSTs).

Using those with Reason works very well, but as Reason does not support multi-channel midi to VSTs you cannot use a single instance of Kontakt for all your sampled instruments, but you will have to open multiple instances with a different library opened in each. This will use more RAM and CPU than just having a single instance open.

Also I'm not sure how well the integration of the S61 keyboard works with Reason.

kinkujin

05 Nov 2018

Thanks jam-s. Very helpful reply.

I guess this is the thing that is most of a bummer ... "Using those with Reason works very well, but as Reason does not support multi-channel midi to VSTs you cannot use a single instance of Kontakt for all your sampled instruments, but you will have to open multiple instances with a different library opened in each. This will use more RAM and CPU than just having a single instance open."

-kinkujin

QVprod

05 Nov 2018

It’s not complex at all. Komplete Kontrol is not something you Rewire. It’s a plug-in/library host. The lack of multichannel midi becomes less of an issue if you’re using Komplete Kontrol as there’s no multis anyway. It’s also slightly lighter on cpu than Kontakt. Downside is 3rd party libraries that aren’t NKS compatible you’ll still have to load Kontakt to use. Otherwise using Komplete plugins or any other vst is not all that much different than using rack devices.

WongoTheSane

05 Nov 2018

I've been using Komplete with Reason almost daily for about a year, and just discovered today, by reading this thread, that you could load several instruments in Kontrol, which I've never even looked at. I've always used each instrument as a single instance, and never had any problems with that setup. Even knowing that now, I'll still probably won't use Kontrol because I find that drag and dropping single instruments and handling them just like Rack Extensions is sooo much easier than having to build a multi-instrument setup. Not that I'm advocating that particular way of working, it's just that the small difference in DSP use wouldn't justify changing it in my case.

QVprod

05 Nov 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I've been using Komplete with Reason almost daily for about a year, and just discovered today, by reading this thread, that you could load several instruments in Kontrol, which I've never even looked at. I've always used each instrument as a single instance, and never had any problems with that setup. Even knowing that now, I'll still probably won't use Kontrol because I find that drag and dropping single instruments and handling them just like Rack Extensions is sooo much easier than having to build a multi-instrument setup. Not that I'm advocating that particular way of working, it's just that the small difference in DSP use wouldn't justify changing it in my case.
Worth clarifying, you can't load multis in Komplete Kontrol, it'd still basically be individual instances so the footprint would be the same except for Kontakt. The benefit is that if you're preset oriented, you have access to every preset from every NI product you own as well as any other NKS compatible stuff you have. Otherwise you're completely right about there being little benefit to you using it.

WongoTheSane

05 Nov 2018

QVprod wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Worth clarifying, you can't load multis in Komplete Kontrol, it'd still basically be individual instances so the footprint would be the same except for Kontakt. The benefit is that if you're preset oriented, you have access to every preset from every NI product you own as well as any other NKS compatible stuff you have. Otherwise you're completely right about there being little benefit to you using it.
Right, gotcha. I'm confusing this with Kontakt's multis it seems. Basically, it's just a wrapper around the tag system then? (in which case I might be tempted...)

QVprod

05 Nov 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
05 Nov 2018
QVprod wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Right, gotcha. I'm confusing this with Kontakt's multis it seems. Basically, it's just a wrapper around the tag system then? (in which case I might be tempted...)
Yep that's exactly it.

WongoTheSane

06 Nov 2018

QVprod wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Yep that's exactly it.
All right, sold! :lol:

kinkujin

07 Nov 2018

Great thread here. So, using the Kontrol S-61 for Komplete ... will I need a separate controller for Reason or will the NI one do an adequate job of it? Thanks again.

*edit* Ok so I reread the thread and I guess my answer was already pretty much answered. Oops.

But, re: using the Kontrol keyboard in Reason ... Can we map the knobs to actual functions in Reason? Eg. midi learn?

Thanks again.
-kinkujin

doktahjekyll

04 Oct 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
05 Nov 2018
hi i would love some help with setting up a maschine mk3 with reason... im also having trouble with getting anything from komplete 2 to work within reason.

what process do I have to take to get instruments and stuff working in reason .. ive spent a lot of money and cant seem to get anything to work.

your help would be very much appreciated

doktah jekyll :essentials:

WongoTheSane

05 Oct 2019

doktahjekyll wrote:
04 Oct 2019
hi i would love some help with setting up a maschine mk3 with reason... im also having trouble with getting anything from komplete 2 to work within reason.

what process do I have to take to get instruments and stuff working in reason .. ive spent a lot of money and cant seem to get anything to work.

I can't help you with Maschine as I don't have one. What exactly doesn't work with Komplete? You meant 12 and not 2, right? Have you specified the right path for the Komplete VSTs in Reason's Preferences?

PhillipOrdonez

05 Oct 2019

doktahjekyll wrote:
04 Oct 2019
WongoTheSane wrote:
05 Nov 2018

If you load an instance of the maschine software in a Reason project, your maschine will light up and you can start using it as if it was standalone, load instruments within it, use the groups and pads... Everything. You can route separate audio channels (up to 8, but if I'm not mistaken, you can expand that to 16 using mono only outputs like in Kong) into Reason and have greater control.

Just make sure you've installed everything from native access and opened maschine standalone before using it as a vst. I think you should open everything you install standalone before using it as a vst just to be safe.

Once you're set up with that, I recommend you take a look at the maschineR software by retouch control. It allows you to use the hardware to control everything within Reason and you can easily switch between controlling Reason and maschine. works really well once you set it up!

• Information