Looking for Pad VST plugins

Discuss VST stuff here!
Punchinello
Posts: 44
Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Location: Berlin

Post 03 Aug 2018

Hi all! :)

I am looking for some plugins that have mostly pad sounds.
I also have to admit that I am kind of a preset-junkie, I am just not good at designing sound.

I do have Sylenth 1 (still fighting DIVA eating up my CPU) and did enjoy about it, that I did not have to have the Kontakt player to run it!
Are there similar plugins out there?

Thanks! Chris
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1792
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 03 Aug 2018

Punchinello wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Hi all! :)

I am looking for some plugins that have mostly pad sounds.
I also have to admit that I am kind of a preset-junkie, I am just not good at designing sound.

I do have Sylenth 1 (still fighting DIVA eating up my CPU) and did enjoy about it, that I did not have to have the Kontakt player to run it!
Are there similar plugins out there?

Thanks! Chris
For use with Reason's internal synths there's the wonderful Luftrum Refill Collection: https://www.luftrum.com/luftrum-refill-collection/
and there are the Mystic Dreampads Producerloops Refills. I recommend Volume 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8:
https://www.producerloops.com/sonic-fla ... tches.html
https://www.producerloops.com/sonic-fla ... tches.html
https://www.producerloops.com/sonic-fla ... tches.html
https://www.producerloops.com/sonic-fla ... tches.html
https://www.producerloops.com/Mystic-Dr ... efill.html

u-he Zebra is ligt on CPU. The Hollo Padsheaven gives you tons of pad sounds: http://sound.artenuovo.com/padsheavena.html

NI Absynth is also great for pads and runs very light on CPU. Check out these sound libraries for Absynth: https://www.patchpool.net/absynth_shop.html

User avatar
NekujaK
Posts: 625
Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Location: USA

Post 03 Aug 2018

You might want to take a look at Steinberg Padshop Pro

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... p_pro.html
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 03 Aug 2018

Seriously, if you just want "Pad" then why in the WORLD would you look for a VST when you intend to use Reason anyway? Thats like incomprehensible to me.

Punchinello
Posts: 44
Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Location: Berlin

Post 03 Aug 2018

Thanks for all the replies. I want to use VST coz Reason allows me to. And like I said, I am not good at designing sound. So I want to have as much Pad sounds as possible. Coz I love Pad sounds. :)
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 03 Aug 2018

Punchinello wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Thanks for all the replies. I want to use VST coz Reason allows me to. And like I said, I am not good at designing sound. So I want to have as much Pad sounds as possible. Coz I love Pad sounds. :)
But theres a plethora of patches for Reason, then theres a plethora of REs. Why have the additional work of registering in some store, installing the VST, keeping it up to date, managing it's presets, dealing with the fact that it's an external plugin and not integrated as well in Reason... if you literally JUST want pad sounds?

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1792
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 03 Aug 2018

normen wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Punchinello wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Thanks for all the replies. I want to use VST coz Reason allows me to. And like I said, I am not good at designing sound. So I want to have as much Pad sounds as possible. Coz I love Pad sounds. :)
But theres a plethora of patches for Reason, then theres a plethora of REs. Why have the additional work of registering in some store, installing the VST, keeping it up to date, managing it's presets, dealing with the fact that it's an external plugin and not integrated as well in Reason... if you literally JUST want pad sounds?
You're right! Just searching the Propellerhead Shop for Refills and "Pad" shows up more than 50 entries: https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/? ... ls&pagex=2

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1461
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 03 Aug 2018

Punchinello - you can get Hybrid 3 - it has over 400 pad sounds already done for you and they sound really good. Don't forget to look in the V2 Patches folder. Get it now as it's on sale for a dollar: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 5-Hybrid-3

XPAND2 also has a gajillion pads, all shiny and ready - no maintenance needed (because that's what you asked for) - you can usually find it cheaper than this, but it's $9 at Reverb: https://reverb.com/software/instruments ... orkstation

And if you have the cash, Omnisphere 2 is amazing for pads.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro X | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO


User avatar
Exowildebeest
Posts: 1521
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 03 Aug 2018

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/

It's as RE but it has practically infinite presets due to its random generator. Pads are an option in said random generator.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1461
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 03 Aug 2018

Lol - how would it look if we were in the rack extensions forum and someone asked "what RE is good for pads?" and people were like "Sylenth!" ?? :roll:

Punchinello - You can also get UVI's Synth Anthology 2 which is loaded with pads across all types of synthesis. And if you need even more polished and ready to use pad sounds, Korg's M1 and Wavestation are excellent VST plugins.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro X | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

Punchinello
Posts: 44
Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Location: Berlin

Post 03 Aug 2018

Thank you! @Hurricane: Nice Synthwave
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1461
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 03 Aug 2018

Thanks for listening and have fun with your new VST synths. :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro X | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1350
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Aug 2018

There are a lot of different types of pads, so it really depends on what type of sound you like and what you want to use it for.

If you like modern sounds, there is a heap of great pads out of the box with Reason.

If you like more "subtractive" synth sounds like vintage analog, then suggest Bitley WBF refill which has many superb pads, and is very light on your DSP/CPU.

If you like evolving wavetables like the Korg Wavestation etc, then try Rob Papen Vecto.

Rob Papen Predator is also really good and comes with heaps of great presets.

If you like more "icy" sounds or "additive" synth pads, then try something like Rob Papen Blue II. Again, suggesting it because you say you like presets rather than programming.

If you like more ethereal or spectral sounds, try Propellerhead Parsec. It has some lovely pads. One of my favourites is called "Turn it up".

Finally, you say you prefer presets, but it is easy for you to layer multiple pads together, and EQ them, compress them and apply all sorts of great effects so you're still doing plenty of sound design!

Have fun!!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 11 | Reaper | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

https://soundcloud.com/raymondhayter/be ... ic-address

Punchinello
Posts: 44
Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Location: Berlin

Post 04 Aug 2018

Pad-wise, I am looking ones like for example Above & Beyond, Airwave but also Vangelis. Pads are my "blanket", my "ocean", and sidechaining them to me is like intensifying the waves. So I know at one point I have to understand how to create them, but the idea is also to have pads I like so I can take a look at how they were created.
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

Hydrosonic
Posts: 81
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 04 Aug 2018

OmniSphere
Vengeance Sounds - Avenger
Nexus

Avenger and Nexus both have expansion packs, usually based on genre

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2523
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Aug 2018

Punchinello wrote:
04 Aug 2018
Pad-wise, I am looking ones like for example Above & Beyond, Airwave but also Vangelis. Pads are my "blanket", my "ocean", and sidechaining them to me is like intensifying the waves. So I know at one point I have to understand how to create them, but the idea is also to have pads I like so I can take a look at how they were created.
If your intent is to learn how to make them then there's no point in buying plugins for pad sounds. That comes down to learning how to use synths in general. You can do that with the stock Reason synths. Start with Subtractor as its the simplest and the fundamentals of how to program most synths is the same.

If you however just want a bunch of pre made pad patches, it makes more sense to just buy presets or refills for the synths you already own rather than buying something entirely new.. Literally every polyphonic synth is capable of creating pads.

Also it's worth checking these refills out
Exode Massive Synthesis ReFill
Thor's Hammer ReFill

User avatar
tobypearce
Posts: 500
Joined: 28 Sep 2015

Post 05 Aug 2018

String Machines 2 from UVI is probably what you're looking for. It has pad sounds from many synths over the years, sounds really good and doesn't take up too much CPU.
https://www.uvi.net/string-machines-2

Fundamentally though I agree with many of the other contributors:
a) Making a pad isn't too difficult and many synths will make a great pad sound. It's just a matter of finding one that you find easy to work with rather than finding one that has a good 'pad sound';
b) Reason has some great pad sounds already: Grain is simply wonderful, for example, for pad sounds.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

User avatar
tobypearce
Posts: 500
Joined: 28 Sep 2015

Post 05 Aug 2018

One other point. If you want to learn how to make the typical (and by typical I mean wonderful - I love trance too) trance pads from Above and Beyond etc, then you are right: reverse engineering is a fine way to do this.

The best bet is to get either Sylenth1, Spire or Dune 2 (I like Dune 2 - great to programme), then go to https://www.freshlysqueezedsamples.com
Buy one of their preset packs by and artist you like and you can see how they made the sounds.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Punchinello
Posts: 44
Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Location: Berlin

Post 06 Aug 2018

Thank you, all! :) Dune is nice!
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

future-bit
Posts: 166
Joined: 07 May 2017

Post 06 Aug 2018

We do not compose a song for the pads, but we compose a pad for the song.

Other presets may be beautiful, but it may not be suitable for your song.

Therefore, you need to learn to create presets yourself. Otherwise you will not be able to compose what you want.

ltbrunt00
Posts: 460
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 06 Aug 2018

I know you said Pads only but hands down I think the Legend by Synapse Audio is the greatest thing ever you could get it in VST or RE.
Reason, Cubase, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

User avatar
ast3rix
Posts: 85
Joined: 05 Aug 2018

Post 07 Sep 2018

Here is a list of some of my favorites for pad sounds:

Liftrum 17 for grain https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... for-grain/
U-he repro 5 https://shop.propellerheads.se/vst/repro/
Omnisphere 2.5 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... sphere-2.5

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1350
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Sep 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
06 Aug 2018
I know you said Pads only but hands down I think the Legend by Synapse Audio is the greatest thing ever you could get it in VST or RE.
I agree. The Legend is absolutely incredible!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 11 | Reaper | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

https://soundcloud.com/raymondhayter/be ... ic-address

Reminiscence
Posts: 145
Joined: 31 May 2016

Post 08 Sep 2018

Even though a pad sound has a medium to high attack time and long release, it still boils down to your question. And the winner is Absynth 5! Enjoy it! :ugeek:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests