DIVA vs CPU

Discuss VST stuff here!
Punchinello

02 Aug 2018

Hi all! :)

I have a question:

Anyone having the DIVA VST plugin?
Bought it and I can run it maybe 3 minutes, and its down. Read it is heavy on the CPU, but I did not expect this...

Does anyone have a solution ( I do not like rendering coz I am always working on the sound)?

Or do I have to get a better workstation?
20180803_012600.jpg
20180803_012600.jpg (223.63 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Thanks in advance! :)
Chris
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

jam-s

02 Aug 2018

The main problem imho is the pretty low clock speed on the CPU. If you have not, you could try to optimise the power plans of the computer as it might not be in performance mode.

(the i5-8250U is a ultra low power consumption CPU, but when the turbo boost would kick in and clock the core to 3.4 GHz it should be performing quite OK)

raymondh

02 Aug 2018

Punchinello wrote:
02 Aug 2018
Hi all! :)

I have a question:

Anyone having the DIVA VST plugin?
Bought it and I can run it maybe 3 minutes, and its down. Read it is heavy on the CPU, but I did not expect this...

Does anyone have a solution ( I do not like rendering coz I am always working on the sound)?

Or do I have to get a better workstation?20180803_012600.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)
Chris
If you want to use DIVA you will need to accept that you'll be bouncing to audio. But it's worth it - it's a beautiful synth.

But to get the best performance while composing;
- run a patch in draft quality mode
- be sure to click 'multi-core'

Those two things should make a significant difference.
Just before you bounce to audio, change the quality to "divine".
After you've bounced to audio, turn off the VST so it does not consume CPU.

groggy1

03 Aug 2018

I bet when Props say they are working hard to test better VST performance for an upcoming Reason update, what they mean is that they're working to get Diva to play two notes at a time.

Punchinello

03 Aug 2018

Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered an external audio card. Maybe that helps? :D
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

Exowildebeest

03 Aug 2018

Punchinello wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered an external audio card. Maybe that helps? :D
It probably won't, as your i5-8250u will throttle after a while. It's not a processor that's designed to run sustained high clock speeds. It cannot get rid of the heat in a laptop chassis.

Punchinello

03 Aug 2018

Ok, well, I needed it anyway! :)

EnochLight

03 Aug 2018

Punchinello wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Were you using the integrated audio on your laptop??! If so, then yes - a proper external sound card that has solid ASIO drivers may certainly help a little. That said, although your CPU is only 1 year old, it's slower than my 6+ year old CPU... so don't expect much from it, even if you have your laptop in Performance mode and the CPU isn't being throttled. My aging 3770k struggles with Diva, so I expect your CPU to perform quite worse. :(

slooooooow_cpu.JPG
slooooooow_cpu.JPG (111.2 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Punchinello

03 Aug 2018

Thank you! I guess it comes down that I have to get a powerful desktop computer.

EnochLight

03 Aug 2018

Punchinello wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Thank you! I guess it comes down that I have to get a powerful desktop computer.
Meh, or just modify your work flow and keep your laptop. Use as many stock Reason devices as possible, and/or follow the suggestions for operating Diva with as little overhead as possible.

That said, Props are working on an update to Reason that's supposed to address VST-performance later this year (and it'll be a free update). Maybe try holding off upgrading your main machine until then and see how it pans out...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Punchinello

03 Aug 2018

Its not working out regarding DIVA! I mean rendering, I need to be able have the possibility to do minor changes. I hope that makes sense... but I agree on re-thinking my way of working etc...

Jowe79

06 Aug 2018

I have i7 7700hq 2.8ghz and with turbo mode 3.8ghz SSD SAMSUNG PRO NVME M.2 1tb and 32gb ram graphics card 1060 nvidia 6gb ram...
My machine will carry with diva vst? One instance only a few instances? Great mode? Divine mode?
Thanks a lot!

EnochLight

06 Aug 2018

Jowe79 wrote:
06 Aug 2018
I have i7 7700hq 2.8ghz and with turbo mode 3.8ghz SSD SAMSUNG PRO NVME M.2 1tb and 32gb ram graphics card 1060 nvidia 6gb ram...
My machine will carry with diva vst? One instance only a few instances? Great mode? Divine mode?
Thanks a lot!
YMMV...

FEC1A38F-A6B3-4E22-ABCC-17946075DB69.jpeg
FEC1A38F-A6B3-4E22-ABCC-17946075DB69.jpeg (738.86 KiB) Viewed 2874 times

Jowe79

06 Aug 2018

YMMV????? <----- what mean this???😳😳😳 please... easy answers....somebody have my cpu? How instances you can open in your machines? WhaT machines??
Thanks my cpu is good cpu?

jimmyklane

06 Aug 2018

Punchinello wrote:
03 Aug 2018
Its not working out regarding DIVA! I mean rendering, I need to be able have the possibility to do minor changes. I hope that makes sense... but I agree on re-thinking my way of working etc...
My suggestion is to treat is as an outboard analog synth. Create your patch, perhaps automate some parameters throughout the song, and bounce to audio. Can you explain WHY you need to constantly tweak DIVA? I understand that as the song evolves you may want a shorter envelope time (for example) but perhaps you could simply go back and bounce another part at the point you need changes. DIVA eats everybody’s CPU for breakfast.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

EnochLight

06 Aug 2018

Jowe79 wrote:
06 Aug 2018
YMMV????? <----- what mean this???😳😳😳 please... easy answers....somebody have my cpu? How instances you can open in your machines? WhaT machines??
Thanks my cpu is good cpu?
YMMV means "your mileage may vary". Google is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=YMMV&oq ... e&ie=UTF-8

Did you read the thread and see my response to Punchinello earlier? I included a Passmark chart comparing your CPU to his as well as mine. The instances on my machine vary quite a bit, depending on what I am doing and what settings I have (hence, the "YMMV" statement).

Why don't you try the demo of Diva with your machine and see for yourself? It's fully functional....

• Information