Sches Thorn on Sale for $69

Discuss VST stuff here!
Popey
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2020

I am potentially interested in this as don't believe I have any synths with a harmonic filter. Having never used one I am assuming it allows you to shape the harmonics from the osc but is it much different to a lp/bp/hp filter etc. Can someone who owns Thorn enlighten me if they use this function much and any particular benefits to it.

Trying not to buy stuff at moment but considering the cheap price I am teetering on this as it seems interesting and slightly different to other tools I have.

EdGrip

30 Mar 2020

I just bought it. I thought, for £14, why not? I've had the CM version for ages and like it. Loadsa presets!

The harmonic filter is not just a HP/BP/LP. It affects the sound in ways that you wouldn't be able to replicate otherwise.
The oscillators are spectral, and you can freely edit the spectra - but there are plenty of pre-made shapes, from classic sawtooth to weird stuff. You can scan through spectra a like a wavetable.
There are plenty of "normal" filters to choose from, and they sound good and all have different drive characteristics. There are multiple sources of drive and dirt in Thorn. I think it's a cool synth, one that immediately clicked with me for whatever reason it is we connect with these things. I'm generally more drawn to analogue emulations, and Thorn is unashamedly digital, but I just like it!
At this price I think it's an interesting alternative to Europa to have in the box.

None of the presets I tried at random lit more than one bar on Reason's DSP meter, on my 2014 workstation laptop.

Have a look at the manual to get a better idea of how the spectral oscillators and harmonic filter work: https://dmitrysches.com/files/download/ ... Manual.pdf

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2020

Hi Edgrip thanks for sharing the manual it makes sense now what the harmonic filter does and freedom to draw in your own shapes. Also good to read about the harmonic editor which looks useful and did not know it could do that. I am assuming if i drew in the harmonic editor the shape for number 1 and 5 then 2-4 would be a combination as it morphed from 1 to 5's shape if that makes sense. It kinda reminds me of serum but slightly different. Think regardless of my good intentions to not buy stuff I may have to get it as it is so cheap. Got a lot of time on my hands at moment due to lockdown so a couple of days playing with a new synth cant hurt that bad.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2020

eusti wrote:
30 Mar 2020
MrFigg wrote:
30 Mar 2020
23 minutes in the cooler, a couple of deep breaths and I dodged the bullet. €19 left in the pocket which I’ll put towards Sequences :).
The Glitch thing sounded cool but I’ve got Stutter Edit :).
Thanks for the input.
The good thing is that there is going to be a sale after this at some point! ;)

D.
The previous lowest was $50, so the sub $20 is just über crazy. The presets are worth 2x that. I think Thorn is more like Spire than Parsec actually, if you compare tone and sounds.

I grabbed the Metric AB for $15 just now! Whoha, that is less than half of the previous lowest.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Popey
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

So I gave in to temptation and bought this today. First impressions are good and although it was the harmonic filter that first caught my attention having used it briefly so far the ability to load wav files into the noise osc is massive fun and my favourite thing at present (loading a wav vocal file and then combining this with other osc through glitch fx has created some crazy results). Loaded a few wav files into osc and this created a few interesting results too. Only thing I did find is I imported one wav file to osc1 and had this weird almost shuddering effect when adding drive which I have never experienced with a synth before although likely to be something I did. Basically for less than £20 this appears to be a steal and i would definately recommend it for this price.

EdGrip

31 Mar 2020

I haven't even tried loading wavs into it!

Popey
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

EdGrip wrote:
31 Mar 2020
I haven't even tried loading wavs into it!
It's definately worth trying especially if you do anything edm based. The ability to do things like this reminds me of rapid although they are very different synths and each has its unique selling points. Still getting my head around this fully but good first impressions and it was cheap as chips 😊.

Loque

31 Mar 2020

I am pretty sure Mr.Figg has an itching in his fingers while reading the comments here...
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

Loque wrote:
31 Mar 2020
I am pretty sure Mr.Figg has an itching in his fingers while reading the comments here...
STOP IT!!!!!!! Hahahaha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

MrFigg wrote:
31 Mar 2020
Loque wrote:
31 Mar 2020
STOP IT!!!!!!! Hahahaha.
I would say be strong and resist Mr Figg but after our recent conversations on here I would be a massive hypocrite. I always use a vst price vs pints comparison and as this cost less than a round of drinks I caved 😂😂😂

BananaSkins

31 Mar 2020

Thanks for the post -an absolute steal at this price bargain of the year so far for me :thumbs_up:

P.s it's a pity Mr.Figg has 'Downsized and is happier'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

Popey wrote:
31 Mar 2020
MrFigg wrote:
31 Mar 2020

STOP IT!!!!!!! Hahahaha.
I would say be strong and resist Mr Figg but after our recent conversations on here I would be a massive hypocrite. I always use a vst price vs pints comparison and as this cost less than a round of drinks I caved 😂😂😂
Aha. I’m comparing to pints of milk. So better value in the white stuff for me.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

BananaSkins wrote:
31 Mar 2020
Thanks for the post -an absolute steal at this price bargain of the year so far for me :thumbs_up:

P.s it's a pity Mr.Figg has 'Downsized and is happier'. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The truth’ll set you free man 😂😂😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

MrFigg wrote:
31 Mar 2020
Popey wrote:
31 Mar 2020

Aha. I’m comparing to pints of milk. So better value in the white stuff for me.
Yeah not such a good deal when compared to pints of milk. I bet drinking milk means you wake up feeling better than me on a saturday morning as well 😂

miscend

01 Apr 2020

I have Thorn CM. I'm quite tempted to buy the full version, but as far as I can see, the only advantages are the extra oscillator and additional effects. I just wish they had gimped the CM version a bit more, honestly it's well specified as is, would have made my decision easier.

Loque

01 Apr 2020

miscend wrote:
01 Apr 2020
I have Thorn CM. I'm quite tempted to buy the full version, but as far as I can see, the only advantages are the extra oscillator and additional effects. I just wish they had gimped the CM version a bit more, honestly it's well specified as is, would have made my decision easier.
I was in the same boat in the past. I had a good offer so i stepped on board and bought the full version, even because it was worth it. I bought a big package with all the patches. I am not sure if the PA version has all the packages too, but i think they are included. And this got me finally on board: I had all patches and full patches (with all oscillators).

And now you can have it for 14 bucks. The price of a cinema visit and since cinemas are closed now, ...
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

01 Apr 2020

It's worth it for the patches alone, if you're a patch tweaker. This is a daft price.

But yes, the CM version is a brilliant full-featured synth in its own right.

Ulpu

01 Apr 2020

Managed to install it after all :mrgreen:
After short playing: sounds very good!

zoidkirb

01 Apr 2020

Full version has one extra set of filters that imo steal the show. Plus an extra filter stage, extra oscillator are nice to have.
It has I think 4 extra effects , nice bonus here as the fx are already a strong point.

I've read that oversampling is much improved in full version too although I haven't had much chance or inclination to test this myself.

• Information