UVI String Machines 2 - introductory price

Discuss VST stuff here!
Soeno

06 Jul 2018

UVI String Machines 2 - Warm Vintage Sounds Revived
62 vintage string synthesizers reinvigorated in a flexible dual-layered instrument

https://www.uvi.net/string-machines-2.html

not sure if it's worth to update for the half price

jimmyklane

06 Jul 2018

Anybody have experience with these? Analog string machines are something I’ve never gotten into mostly because they are heavy, hot, unreliable one-trick-ponies! However, in a plugin format, I’ve used the Solina V from Arturia and it gave that Pink Floyd type of “wash” that you can hear really clearly in Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

I’d be especially interested to hear from those of you that have (or do?) owned both regarding authenticity as well as how you like the sound.

Those of you with the plugin, how do you like it and what are you using it for (types of music/genres, etc)...
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2018

I just bought the upgrade. I’ll post my review later!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2018

I have String Machines 1, and for the $39 upgrade price it feels like I got a brand new instrument. The original String Machines is about 765 MB. String Machines 2 is almost 17GB. there's so much *stuff* in here. I had no idea so many string machines existed in the real world. Can't speak to the authenticity, but apparently this was a multi-year effort, where they went through this:

"Each of these old string synths was meticulously inspected, tested and calibrated to ensure as close to factory functionality as possible. After spending time with each machine to identify signature sounds, unique qualities and natural strengths, our sound designers captured them in the highest-quality possible with premium DI boxes, hardware processors and converters. Each sample was hand-trimmed and processed to bring out the best sound with a mastered finish. A diverse assembly of instruments, some made decades and continents apart, the sound of String Machines 2 is vivid and soulful, rich with the subtle character and quirks of aged components."

It sounds fantastic, it looks fantastic, and there's so much to play with that it is a no brainer at $39. The GUI is crystal clear and can be resized up to 150%. Not all these sounds are "string" sounds, there are now several different sound categories like keys and plucks, brass and bells. Everything sounds NICE.

For me, these sounds really shine when dulled - lol - by a tape plugin, or something a little more destructive like XLN's Retro Color. With a little wobble and a little noise, flutter and movement, the resulting sound is instantly more colorful and retro.

Only drawback is that it makes Reason choke. A LOT. Works great in Logic though (I'm tired of saying that).

Those are just my initial thoughts as I play with this for the first time. I can't wait to use this in something.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

groggy1

12 Jul 2018

I got Strings2, and really love the sound of it.

In-general, I've really gotten into UVI & Falcon in the past 6 months. For some reason, it feels like a fun sampler to me, and I can get stuff done in it. (compared to Kontact) Others like Kontakt I know, but this one just fits my workflow better

• Information