Output Audio introduces "Arcade" loop player

Discuss VST stuff here!
EnochLight

12 Jun 2018

Looks interesting (though I'm not down with subscriptions):

https://output.com/arcade

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jimmyklane

12 Jun 2018

This is why I own 6 samplers and 20 synths.

Sigh....

More “same boxes”
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

EnochLight

12 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
12 Jun 2018

Sigh....

More “same boxes”
To each their own. Some people find different ways of working inspiring, right? Software like this (as well as DAW, various plugins, etc) is the primary reason why I don't own 6 samplers and 20 synths. ;) :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jimmyklane

12 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
12 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
12 Jun 2018

Sigh....

More “same boxes”
To each their own. Some people find different ways of working inspiring, right? Software like this (as well as DAW, various plugins, etc) is the primary reason why I don't own 6 samplers and 20 synths. ;) :lol:
Yeah, you are 100% correct, but I can’t help feel like this is some sort of preset library with stutter edit built in or something. I’m always making brand new sounds and then sampling them to mangle and mash them up. I kind of feel like this is not a limitless open possibility like any sampler but more predefined in what you’re getting....also, unless you BUY the correct processor/samplebank you’re stuck with what they give you stock.

Anyway, I’d certainly demo it if there is one

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

EnochLight

12 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
12 Jun 2018
EnochLight wrote:
12 Jun 2018

Yeah, you are 100% correct, but I can’t help feel like this is some sort of preset library with stutter edit built in or something. I’m always making brand new sounds and then sampling them to mangle and mash them up. I kind of feel like this is not a limitless open possibility like any sampler but more predefined in what you’re getting....also, unless you BUY the correct processor/samplebank you’re stuck with what they give you stock.

To be fair, we've had limitless open possibility in software for many, many years (which is primarily what keeps me ITB). ;) I think the appeal of hardware is the limits you actually have. You're forced into doing things a certain way to get from point A to point B. I'll admit this much: it's a lot easier to have gear acquisition syndrome in the software world than it is hardware. I'd never be able to hide 6 samplers and 20 synths from my wife - LOL! :lol:

CephaloPod

13 Jun 2018

This looks really interesting and a very efficient method for experimenting with combining loops.

I need something that does this so I can more efficiently use loops I already have though, I don't need all the content they provide through their subscription plan.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

selig
RE Developer

13 Jun 2018

Was just checking it out and found this thread. Seems overwhelming to get new content every day! I still don’t use all the loops I already have at my disposal, and don’t make my own as often as I’d like. Can’t imagine paying $120/yr for this unless I was having to crank out new tracks daily. Like all subscriptions, it goes away as soon as you stop paying, which may be OK for some but like others I just keep thinking “old school” and want to at least feel like I “own”t the software I use…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

-008'

13 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
13 Jun 2018
Was just checking it out and found this thread. Seems overwhelming to get new content every day! I still don’t use all the loops I already have at my disposal, and don’t make my own as often as I’d like. Can’t imagine paying $120/yr for this unless I was having to crank out new tracks daily. Like all subscriptions, it goes away as soon as you stop paying, which may be OK for some but like others I just keep thinking “old school” and want to at least feel like I “own”t the software I use…

they address that by saying something like: "you can quit the subscription anytime and still run what you have created" but i dont know the details. I think I am going to try it for a few months for fun. Anyone who leases beats definitely falls into the "new tracks daily" camp. :D
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

selig
RE Developer

13 Jun 2018

-008' wrote:
selig wrote:
13 Jun 2018

they address that by saying something like: "you can quit the subscription anytime and still run what you have created" but i dont know the details. I think I am going to try it for a few months for fun. Anyone who leases beats definitely falls into the "new tracks daily" camp. :D
Interesting - seems like they may be trying to address the common concerns. Will be watching to see how it goes…

Selig Audio, LLC

jimmyklane

13 Jun 2018

So these are pre-made loops with what looks to be custom interfaces for effecting them. What I don’t understand is why you’d want all this content. TV production?

I’ve already got more than I could EVER use, and those are just the single hits.

I’m even more old-school than Selig....I want to MAKE every loop I use.

EnochLight

13 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
13 Jun 2018
So these are pre-made loops with what looks to be custom interfaces for effecting them. What I don’t understand is why you’d want all this content. TV production?
Precisely. Anyone in the entertainment industry that needs to crank out material daily/weekly for impatient clients will find this invaluable, IMHO. TV is one industry I can see this being incredibly useful.

ProfessaKaos

14 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
12 Jun 2018
EnochLight wrote:
12 Jun 2018

It's only as limited as you make it.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

ProfessaKaos

14 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
13 Jun 2018

I like to own everything I use so my anxiety of having to owe someone money is not sitting in the back of my mind.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote: I’m even more old-school than Selig....I want to MAKE every loop I use.
I wish I had enough drum kits, microphones, studio space, and time to make every loop I use…(and the skill to play like different drummers).
;)

Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

14 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote: I’m even more old-school than Selig....I want to MAKE every loop I use.
I wish I had enough drum kits, microphones, studio space, and time to make every loop I use…(and the skill to play like different drummers).
;)
^^ THIS ^^

Having a loop library is akin to instantly being able to work with a limitless selection of different musicians. There’s just no physical way I could ever have the setup, studio access, kit access, and musicians, mics, etc - at my disposal.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jun 2018
selig wrote:
14 Jun 2018

;)
^^ THIS ^^

Having a loop library is akin to instantly being able to work with a limitless selection of different musicians. There’s just no physical way I could ever have the setup, studio access, kit access, and musicians, mics, etc - at my disposal.
There have been times when I DID have access to many of these elements, but the time involved was still the deciding factor for me! The real issues is that even with all of those things in place, in the heat of the moment when I have a musical idea, the time it would take to get everything collected, setup, recorded, edited, and placed in the track would be a creativity killer.

I don't know how others work, but my ideas won't just stand around and wait for me to get everything ready - my ideas are impatient and elusive, and generally un-cooporative. It's "their way or the highway" for the most part. ;)

At the same time, even though I try to create as much music as possible, I can't see myself needing fresh material delivered daily to my door like milk.
Selig Audio, LLC

bxbrkrz

14 Jun 2018

I don't like the way their A.I. thinks. The randomization is pretty brutal, as in not musical. The roboto can't tell what sounds good or not, and I am afraid we'll be victims of many ungroovy loops on TV and commercials for years to come. Then some people will fall in love with the 'roboto groove' and make beats inspired by the robto. What a nightmare.
The concept is great though. You teach roboto what you like. I think this, with the 1000s of loops and sounds we already have in Reason, should be a nice project for a Props' Player. A way to hmm.. 'recycle' what we already have. The key is to code something with a soul. Pretty much impossible. Good news for us humans.
Last edited by bxbrkrz on 14 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

jimmyklane

14 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2018
;)

How long have you been playing drums? I had no idea you were a drummer too!!! Been about 30 years for me....I feel you on the multiple drum kits and limitless studio space. Mics I’ve got, and to a certain extent I can change my style up if I concentrate on it.

Also, I’ve changed over the years....and every 3-4 years I get a bug and decide to mic up a kit and play for hours. All sorts of tempos, etc. I record audio as well as video (which really does sound like the little camcorder on Audiomatic!) so I’ve got a ton of different rooms, kits, styles, tempos, and mic techniques already covered.

However: what I really meant was making every loop I use out of single hits, electronically. As I’m sure you’ve noticed if you’ve checked out my music, I’m much into electronic textures and sounds, and don’t have much call for acoustic sounds these days.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
selig wrote:
14 Jun 2018

[emoji6]

How long have you been playing drums? I had no idea you were a drummer too!!! Been about 30 years for me....I feel you on the multiple drum kits and limitless studio space. Mics I’ve got, and to a certain extent I can change my style up if I concentrate on it.

Also, I’ve changed over the years....and every 3-4 years I get a bug and decide to mic up a kit and play for hours. All sorts of tempos, etc. I record audio as well as video (which really does sound like the little camcorder on Audiomatic!) so I’ve got a ton of different rooms, kits, styles, tempos, and mic techniques already covered.

However: what I really meant was making every loop I use out of single hits, electronically. As I’m sure you’ve noticed if you’ve checked out my music, I’m much into electronic textures and sounds, and don’t have much call for acoustic sounds these days.
I started drums/percussion in 7th grade in 1974, so too long to think about it!

There are so many super cool loops out there, which I often dissect and re-arrange to fit the music. I often choose a loop based on the sound, because you can re-arrange the beat fairly easily. I’ve recently been digging though some Matt Chamberlain loops (one of MY favorite drummers, and a super nice guy too!) and am finding endless material to work with. “Wide Open” drums (from Loop Loft) are also cool for what I do.

With so many ways to re-work existing loops, I can’t imagine there more than a few hundred composers working today that actually need “fresh” loops delivered every day (that don’t already have some way of generating them already). Seems like a limited market, but maybe it’s more about “marketing” than “market”?

Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

14 Jun 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
13 Jun 2018

I need something that does this so I can more efficiently use loops I already have though, I don't need all the content they provide through their subscription plan.
jimmyklane wrote:
13 Jun 2018

I’ve already got more than I could EVER use, and those are just the single hits.

You can use your own loops with it as well.

jimmyklane

14 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
14 Jun 2018

Right, I saw that in the marketing video, but wonder if I have to BUY that ability similar to how the Launchpad app works on the iPhone/iPad.

I’m not at all against using loops....but it seems like every time I try to use one (for example, I tried creating a song starting with one of the “Loop Supply” stock Reason loops) I end up with music that doesn’t sound like my music! I’m a drummer and a pianist first....and therefore pretty specific about the drums and keys in my music....and lets face it, anybody that has checked out my music has heard that it’s pretty much ALL keys and drums! I haven’t used an acoustic source outside of guitar amps on synths in some time, as I’ve been into this ‘80s type synthpop sound.

The entire soundtrack I’m creating for the student film I’m working on is all dark and ominous synthpop....huge and dark gated reverbs on Simmons drums, big spread chords (9ths, 13ths, etc) and analog basses....

I really wish I could use loops....but they never seem to work out for me.

QVprod

14 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
14 Jun 2018
QVprod wrote:
14 Jun 2018

Right, I saw that in the marketing video, but wonder if I have to BUY that ability similar to how the Launchpad app works on the iPhone/iPad.

I’m not at all against using loops....but it seems like every time I try to use one (for example, I tried creating a song starting with one of the “Loop Supply” stock Reason loops) I end up with music that doesn’t sound like my music! I’m a drummer and a pianist first....and therefore pretty specific about the drums and keys in my music....and lets face it, anybody that has checked out my music has heard that it’s pretty much ALL keys and drums! I haven’t used an acoustic source outside of guitar amps on synths in some time, as I’ve been into this ‘80s type synthpop sound.

The entire soundtrack I’m creating for the student film I’m working on is all dark and ominous synthpop....huge and dark gated reverbs on Simmons drums, big spread chords (9ths, 13ths, etc) and analog basses....

I really wish I could use loops....but they never seem to work out for me.
I'm not a heavy loop user either, but the idea is not to make the music around the loop but to use a loop to enhance the music. Basing the music around the loop only really works if you're a sample based producer imo. Secondly you don't have to use the loop straight. Especially with rex loops. You can easily change the order or even omit parts to make it your own. I did that with a percussion loop in this song here. oh and there's a hi-hat loop in the background as well. Both support the main pattern that I did play in myself.

Also you can do the same thing with melodic or chord loops. This following video focuses on drums but the same concepts apply. It's using Studio One, but similar can be done with Dr Octo rex.

EnochLight

15 Jun 2018

Well, it's free for 100 days, so I'm giving it a try. Can't shake a stick at something free for that long!

CephaloPod

15 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
14 Jun 2018
CephaloPod wrote:
13 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
13 Jun 2018

Right. What I meant was, I'm interested in the device itself, but don't need the subscription service.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Kalm

17 Jun 2018

Got to admit, I have an absolute reason to invest in this. I wanted to join a sample library for instant tweak and inspiration. I'm digging through Reason's FSB like vinyl but I need more influences. Then the ability to tweak it inside the VST is amazing.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information