Am I right that I can't load samples from Refills into VSTs?

Discuss VST stuff here!
manisnotabird

07 Jun 2018

It seems like even though I'm using Reason, I cannot access the samples inside of Refills or the Factory Soundbanks to use inside a VST. Is this right? Seems a little :x

Loque

07 Jun 2018

Yea, its not possible. Well, not directly. You can drag the sample into Reason, bounce to disc and than open that file from vst...
Reason12, Win10

manisnotabird

07 Jun 2018

Gotta say, that's pretty lame. I was excited to try a bunch of my favorite samples in NI Form... but they're all locked away in refills. I already liberated one by loading it into a Kong and playing the note once... but that's pretty tedious going, and certainly makes it impossible to browse through a bunch of different sounds quickly.

CephaloPod

07 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Gotta say, that's pretty lame. I was excited to try a bunch of my favorite samples in NI Form... but they're all locked away in refills. I already liberated one by loading it into a Kong and playing the note once... but that's pretty tedious going, and certainly makes it impossible to browse through a bunch of different sounds quickly.
The refill format is proprietary. Only Propellerheads software can read them. A VST is still just a VST even when opened in Reason. The VST doesn't know how to access a Refill.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

manisnotabird

07 Jun 2018

I should be able to drag the .wav/.aiff file inside the refill from the browser *inside* Reason unto the VST I have open... *inside* Reason.

manisnotabird

07 Jun 2018

Does anyone know any free sample libraries that contain "the basics" so to speak. "GRAND_PIANO_C2.wav". "HARP_A4.wav". "MOOG_SWEEP_G1.wav". Stuff I can load into Form and process. Obviously don't need fancy multi-sampled, round-robin, including-separate-release-sample stuff. There are tons of tons of free sampled drum machines, free loops, free foley sfx, etc., but I'm having a hard time finding the simple stuff.

danc

07 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
07 Jun 2018
It seems like even though I'm using Reason, I cannot access the samples inside of Refills or the Factory Soundbanks to use inside a VST. Is this right? Seems a little :x
I am hoping that this can be sorted in a future version of Reason - as I have stopped buying Refills because of this unacceptable restriction.

Some years ago there was a Refill un-packer kicking around - allowing you to see inside a Refill and drag files out of it (just like WinZip). If you look at ReasonMusic.ru for "refill_viewer_unpacker.rar" you should be able to find it. I tried to use it myself - with partial success. If I had more spare time I'd create my own un-packer and give it to you, as it really isn't that difficult to write (even if there is a proprietary encryption to get past). Shocked that there isn't a more current tool available.
Check my Soundcloud:

eusti

07 Jun 2018

danc wrote:
07 Jun 2018

Some years ago there was a Refill un-packer kicking around - allowing you to see inside a Refill and drag files out of it (just like WinZip). If you look at ReasonMusic.ru for "refill_viewer_unpacker.rar" you should be able to find it. I tried to use it myself - with partial success. If I had more spare time I'd create my own un-packer and give it to you, as it really isn't that difficult to write (even if there is a proprietary encryption to get past). Shocked that there isn't a more current tool available.
Huh... I thought that thing never worked... Never tried it myself though...

D.

QVprod

07 Jun 2018

As Loque said, you can drag a samples into the sequencer and bounce to disk. Since you're looking for something specific like piano and harp samples that's the easiest way to go about it.

jimmyklane

07 Jun 2018

When I created a small refill for use by members here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ca4le5qdvc6jp ... fl?dl=0&m=) Selig was able to “play with the samples” which tells me he was able to access the raw samples inside of the refill (the ones you can see in the browser for any given sampler patch). I’ve always experienced that if you buy a refill you have access to the raw materials to make derivative patches. However, I suppose I’ve never tried to take any sample out of Reason....I’ve never tried this, because I always sample everything I want from Reason into hardware, but if they are really locked down, then I’m guessing it has to do with some sort of copy-protection to assure Refill developers that somebody can’t just take the samples and rip them into a new format and then sell them on eBay (or the prop shop, ahem)

So the solution is to either sample them one-by-one in hardware or to get the wave file into the arrange window and bounce to disk. How tedious. However, if it’s really only one or two samples you need then it’s shouldn’t be all that bad.

Lastly, I’ve found some surprisingly decent meat and potatoes sounds in Soundfont format. Back in the day these were my way to get sounds that other people (probably) wouldn’t have and use them inside Reason! Try searching for grand pianos.... here’s what I found right away: https://www.flstudiomusic.com/2010/02/2 ... fonts.html

Maybe this helps some?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

manisnotabird

07 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
07 Jun 2018
As Loque said, you can drag a samples into the sequencer and bounce to disk. Since you're looking for something specific like piano and harp samples that's the easiest way to go about it.
I'm not looking for something specific, just the opposite. Those were examples of sort of "meat-and-potatoes" style samples. What I'm looking for is a decent variety of samples I can quickly audition inside Form. When I first got Grain when I updated to Reason 10, I immediately experimented with it by dragging lots of different samples from the Reason Factory Soundbanks into it to see what it could do. I was trying to do the same with Form.
Last edited by manisnotabird on 07 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

manisnotabird

07 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Lastly, I’ve found some surprisingly decent meat and potatoes sounds in Soundfont format. Back in the day these were my way to get sounds that other people (probably) wouldn’t have and use them inside Reason! Try searching for grand pianos.... here’s what I found right away: https://www.flstudiomusic.com/2010/02/2 ... fonts.html

Maybe this helps some?
Form can't look inside Soundfont files to see the individual files. Anyway to unpack a Soundfont to .wav in OSX?

dpcoffin

07 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Does anyone know any free sample libraries that contain "the basics" so to speak. "GRAND_PIANO_C2.wav". "HARP_A4.wav". "MOOG_SWEEP_G1.wav". Stuff I can load into Form and process. Obviously don't need fancy multi-sampled, round-robin, including-separate-release-sample stuff. There are tons of tons of free sampled drum machines, free loops, free foley sfx, etc., but I'm having a hard time finding the simple stuff.
You won't have to go too deep into these links to find what you're asking about:
https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8

manisnotabird

07 Jun 2018

dpcoffin wrote:
07 Jun 2018
manisnotabird wrote:
07 Jun 2018
You won't have to go too deep into these links to find what you're asking about:
Don't "LMGTFY" me. I know how to Google.

dpcoffin

08 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
07 Jun 2018
dpcoffin wrote:
07 Jun 2018

Jeez…sorry. Thought you wanted some help. If those links DON'T take you to what you seem to be asking for, I guess I'm not as good at English as I imagined—like, what does "hard" mean, eh?

abeonis

08 Jun 2018

eusti wrote:
07 Jun 2018
danc wrote:
07 Jun 2018

Huh... I thought that thing never worked... Never tried it myself though...

D.
It didn't work last time I tested it. My goal was to create my own reduced refills with only the presets I frequently use. I am still looking for a solution BTW.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

manisnotabird

11 Jun 2018

dpcoffin wrote:
08 Jun 2018
manisnotabird wrote:
07 Jun 2018

Jeez…sorry. Thought you wanted some help. If those links DON'T take you to what you seem to be asking for, I guess I'm not as good at English as I imagined—like, what does "hard" mean, eh?
I was being a little testy. Sorry.

jlgrimes

17 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Refills come from the old days as a way to self contain alot of files exclusive to Reason.

Wasn't much need back then to put in VSTs as Reason didn't have any.

danc

17 Jun 2018

jlgrimes wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Refills come from the old days as a way to self contain alot of files exclusive to Reason.

However... as Reason has now grown up and has let VSTs into the family... wouldn't you have thought that some type of synergy is required in Reason 10... allowing some way for Refill samples to be moved into VSTs? I understand the piracy argument - but when "copy protection" gets in the way of workflow it has to be seriously questioned and a solution found.
Check my Soundcloud:

manisnotabird

17 Jun 2018

danc wrote:
17 Jun 2018
jlgrimes wrote:
17 Jun 2018

However... as Reason has now grown up and has let VSTs into the family... wouldn't you have thought that some type of synergy is required in Reason 10... allowing some way for Refill samples to be moved into VSTs? I understand the piracy argument - but when "copy protection" gets in the way of workflow it has to be seriously questioned and a solution found.
Well put.

abeonis

17 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
17 Jun 2018
danc wrote:
17 Jun 2018

Well put.
All of this makes sense. The problem is that we do not control the future of Reason in the VST area. So ... I still continue to use Reason, based on emotional reasons, but don't buy anymore new refills or RE. I use exclusively VST instruments and effects. This is the best way to protect my investment in the long term.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

jam-s

18 Jun 2018

Well, VST(i) are only 2nd class citizens to the rack, while RE are 1st class. And I don't think the Props are willing to change this as there has to be some incentive for people to invest in the RE platform.

abeonis

18 Jun 2018

jam-s wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Well, VST(i) are only 2nd class citizens to the rack, while RE are 1st class.
Great! Please recommend me 1st class RE to replace 2nd class VSTs like Neutron 2, Ozone 8 or VPS Avenger. Of course these REs will be able to be used in any DAW.

jam-s

18 Jun 2018

No need to become agitated here, I just paraphrased the wording from https://www.propellerheads.se/developers (And if I recall correctly that "REs are 1st class citizens" is even an actual quote from an early RE promotional video or interview).
I'm still wondering why some people seem to have a problem with accepting the fact, that the technologically inferior VST format cannot be just as tightly and seamlessly integrated into Reason. :?

• Information