Europa VST/AU!!!!!

Discuss VST stuff here!
supersplaron

01 Jun 2018

Hey there! Stefan from Propellerhead here again. I just wanted to clarify one thing that Lars got wrong:

All Reason 10 owners get Europa by Reason VST/AU.

Upgrade to Reason 10, and you will get Europa VST. Buy Reason 10 full version, and you will get Europa VST.

You could consider Europa by Reason VST/AU to be a part of Reason 10, so if you get Reason 10, you also get the VST/AU. Period.

Thanks. :)

EdGrip

01 Jun 2018

Some classic Psuper over on the KVR thread.
Last edited by EdGrip on 01 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

theshoemaker

01 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
31 May 2018
mind2069 wrote:
31 May 2018

With stuff like WebAssembly, Google V8 engine, Emscripten and many others, it give a better perceptive on where the web is going and the possibilities of modern browser.
It is very exciting indeed. I think this web demo they put together is just amazing.
Ideed!
First, when I saw the web version I though. Ou ... nice how they ported the codebase, but when I read the blog post I started to believe, they didn't really do a lot. If I have to guess the completely cross compiled with https://github.com/WebAssembly/binaryen
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Soft Enerji

01 Jun 2018

I gotta laugh. I download Europa VST, open Reason, open Europa VST within Reason, go back to the props webpage to get the serial and Reason shat itself!! :shock: :mrgreen:

All good once I opened it again but a real :roll:

tumar

01 Jun 2018

supersplaron wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Hey there! Stefan from Propellerhead here again. I just wanted to clarify one thing that Lars got wrong:

Upgrade to Reason 10, and you will get Europa VST. Buy Reason 10 full version, and you will get Europa VST.

You could consider Europa by Reason VST/AU to be a part of Reason 10, so if you get Reason 10, you also get the VST/AU. Period.

Nice! Thanks for clarification. That made me think about upgrade ;)

QVprod

01 Jun 2018

avasopht wrote:
01 Jun 2018
EnochLight wrote:
31 May 2018

Counterpoint: perhaps there is no intention to do any of that. Perhaps Europa VST was simply a “one off” product to draw attention to Reason? Perhaps it’s not an automated process and required a ton of work, and porting RE to VST is no simple task?

*shrugs*
No, there is definitely no porting of Europa required. Ditto for the web version.

The Rack Extension bytecode only needs to be submitted once with assets and Lua scripts. With that the code can actually support any platform without requiring a change. All it requires is for propellerhead to create a platform shell once, which they have now done.

That's exactly what the SDK was intended for, and what llvm bytecode allows for.

This Europa VST means every rack extension instrument thus far can be made a VST and run in the browser without a single change.
All this talk about Props making it easy to port RE to VST and the whole time Im thinking this^. Any developer (aside from maybe IDT devices) could make VST versions of their products, they just choose not to. A good portion of the work has already been done. They wouldn't need Propellerhead to make that happen.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote: All this talk about Props making it easy to port RE to VST and the whole time Im thinking this^. Any developer (aside from maybe IDT devices) could make VST versions of their products, they just choose not to. A good portion of the work has already been done. They wouldn't need Propellerhead to make that happen.
I have to step in and disagree here, speaking only as a single developer in the RE field.

I DO want to make VST versions of my products, but the expense and specific skill set is outside of the possibilities for me at present.

I actually DO need the Props (or some similar 3rd party) to make this happen. It’s not just about porting the code to VST. It’s also about learning the SDK, hiring VST proficient coders, hiring someone to setup an e-commerce site, doing the marketing, paying for decent copy protection (or accepting being cracked on release), testing on every possible host/version on every possible platform, providing support for every host/platform, and probably many more things I’ve not yet thought of at present.

It would likely more than triple or quadruple my workload, and cost me thousands per VST just to get setup and running.

If the Props ever decide to take this route, I’ll be very interested in using their services and happy to share a cut of my profits for the privilege as opposed to paying upfront out of pocket expenses.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

tumar

01 Jun 2018

Wow, it was fast. Europe demo crashed Reason just few minutes after launch.

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x00000001263981e0 main_macho + 105872
1 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x0000000126397784 main_macho + 103220
2 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x00000001263b1d88 main_macho + 211256
3 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x000000012639828b main_macho + 106043
4 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x00000001263983c4 main_macho + 106356
5 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x00000001263883a8 main_macho + 40792
6 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x00000001263b7a00 main_macho + 234928
7 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x00000001265fc65e main_macho + 2613774
8 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x000000012664e29f main_macho + 2948687
9 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x000000012685873d juce::repostCurrentNSEvent() + 986941
10 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x0000000126860f87 juce::repostCurrentNSEvent() + 1021831
11 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x0000000126860c8c juce::repostCurrentNSEvent() + 1021068
12 se.propellerheads.Europa 0x000000012685b51a juce::repostCurrentNSEvent() + 998682
13 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff8596dda0 __NSThreadPerformPerform + 293
14 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff84415821 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE0_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ + 17
15 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff844079ad __CFRunLoopDoSources0 + 269
16 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff84406fdf __CFRunLoopRun + 927
17 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff844069f8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 296
18 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff8d82756f RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 235
19 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff8d8271ee ReceiveNextEventCommon + 179
20 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff8d82712b _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 71
21 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8796d8ab _DPSNextEvent + 978
22 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8796ce58 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 346
23 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87962af3 -[NSApplication run] + 594
24 se.propellerheads.guilib 0x0000000107bb48d1 NSGUILib::CMacGUILib::CGUILibGlue_Run(NSGUILib::IGUILibRunBehavior*, NSGUILib::TStartupParams const&) + 881
25 se.propellerheads.guilib 0x0000000107b95917 NSGUILib::CGUILibGlue::IGUILib_Run(NSGUILib::IGUILibRunBehavior*, NSGUILib::TStartupParams const&) + 23
26 se.propellerheads.reason 0x0000000105d0e7bc start + 901052
27 se.propellerheads.reason 0x0000000105c32834 start + 52

QVprod

01 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018
QVprod wrote: All this talk about Props making it easy to port RE to VST and the whole time Im thinking this^. Any developer (aside from maybe IDT devices) could make VST versions of their products, they just choose not to. A good portion of the work has already been done. They wouldn't need Propellerhead to make that happen.
I have to step in and disagree here, speaking only as a single developer in the RE field.

I DO want to make VST versions of my products, but the expense and specific skill set is outside of the possibilities for me at present.

I actually DO need the Props (or some similar 3rd party) to make this happen. It’s not just about porting the code to VST. It’s also about learning the SDK, hiring VST proficient coders, hiring someone to setup an e-commerce site, doing the marketing, paying for decent copy protection (or accepting being cracked on release), testing on every possible host/version on every possible platform, providing support for every host/platform, and probably many more things I’ve not yet thought of at present.

It would likely more than triple or quadruple my workload, and cost me thousands per VST just to get setup and running.

If the Props ever decide to take this route, I’ll be very interested in using their services and happy to share a cut of my profits for the privilege as opposed to paying upfront out of pocket expenses.

I actually think we're in agreement actually. Not diving into it thus far is a choice based on the expense and amount of work required. I wasn't implying laziness or lack of will.

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

First person to show me how to retain the resized setting (I like it big - that's what she said) of Europa in Logic gets my personal 128 patch Thor soundest.

Every time I open a new instance I have to resize it. Starting to drive me a little nuts.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

01 Jun 2018

hurricane wrote:
01 Jun 2018
First person to show me how to retain the resized setting (I like it big - that's what she said) of Europa in Logic gets my personal 128 patch Thor soundest.

Every time I open a new instance I have to resize it. Starting to drive me a little nuts.
Too soon? :D

one_does_not_simply.jpg
one_does_not_simply.jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Catblack

01 Jun 2018

hurricane wrote:
01 Jun 2018

I looked all over, even in the windows registry and this just isn't an option as far as I can see.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

Catblack wrote:
01 Jun 2018
hurricane wrote:
01 Jun 2018

I looked all over, even in the windows registry and this just isn't an option as far as I can see.
Lol, yeah I know. That was my passive-aggressive way of saying WTF PROPS, EUROPA DOESNT REMEMBER ITS SIZE WTF WTF ARGH ARE YOU SERIOUS WHY DONT YOU ASK U-HE HOW THEY DO IT?!?!?!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Reasonable man

01 Jun 2018

I think its a hussling crafty business move forom Propellerhaed, as company that may not have the fianancial clout of many of its rivals.
When it comes to business especially technology .... be busy or be dead.
I have no doubt it this kind of move is frowned on by other Daw makers and the once adamant 'Reason phiolosophy' is now indeed a miraculous transformation of principle. Times they are a changing.

QVprod

01 Jun 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
01 Jun 2018
I have no doubt it this kind of move is frowned on by other Daw makers and the once adamant 'Reason phiolosophy' is now indeed a miraculous transformation of principle. Times they are a changing.
Why? FL Studio has been doing this for years. All the stock instruments from Pro Tools (albeit owned by AIR and not AVID) can be purchased for use in any DAW. This move is nothing new as far as DAW makers go.

Ahornberg

02 Jun 2018

One drawback of releasing REs as VSTs is you can't use CV inputs. Take Europa VST and try to use CV inputs in the modulation matrix. In a future update, maybe CV inputs and CV outputs could be mapped to MIDI CC (14bit preferred).

For Propellerhead and also for RE manufacturers too, being able to sell the same product in a different format to a wider range of customers is an advantage. Personally I would like to see a Reason Rack VST where I can load REs. But I guess we will not see this coming.

miscend

02 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jun 2018
One drawback of releasing REs as VSTs is you can't use CV inputs. Take Europa VST and try to use CV inputs in the modulation matrix. In a future update, maybe CV inputs and CV outputs could be mapped to MIDI CC (14bit preferred).

For Propellerhead and also for RE manufacturers too, being able to sell the same product in a different format to a wider range of customers is an advantage. Personally I would like to see a Reason Rack VST where I can load REs. But I guess we will not see this coming.
Some DAWS like Bitwig allow you to modulate all the parameters quite easily.

EnochLight

02 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jun 2018
Wait.. WHAT? Of course you can use CV inputs with Europa VST, and virtually any other VST in Reason as well! That's why there is a CV input programmer in the dropdown menu of the VST Instrument rack device.... but as miscend pointed out, Bitwig allows this much easier for all/any VST. That said, I do like Reason's "learn" function for the VST Instrument CV programmer.
Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jun 2018
For Propellerhead and also for RE manufacturers too, being able to sell the same product in a different format to a wider range of customers is an advantage.
Yes, which is exactly what Europa VST seems to be testing the waters with. I think we can all agree that it would be a massive bonus to RE devs if releasing an RE gave them access to have their wares released as a VST for all DAW automatically (as an option). Counterpoint: many RE's are privy to Reason's rack because they only make sense inside of it.
Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jun 2018
Personally I would like to see a Reason Rack VST where I can load REs. But I guess we will not see this coming.
I most certainly wouldn't hold your breath for that one! :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ahornberg

02 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
02 Jun 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jun 2018
Wait.. WHAT? Of course you can use CV inputs with Europa VST, and virtually any other VST in Reason as well! That's why there is a CV input programmer in the dropdown menu of the VST Instrument rack device.... but as miscend pointed out, Bitwig allows this much easier for all/any VST. That said, I do like Reason's "learn" function for the VST Instrument CV programmer.
In Reason I wouldn't use the VST version of Europa ... I thought of other DAWs.

selig
RE Developer

02 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018

I actually think we're in agreement actually. Not diving into it thus far is a choice based on the expense and amount of work required. I wasn't implying laziness or lack of will.
Apologies if I implied otherwise - way responding to your “choose not to” line, because I actually “choose to” and yet still cannot (read: I’m an exception to your assertion).

Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

02 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jun 2018
In Reason I wouldn't use the VST version of Europa ... I thought of other DAWs.
Ah yes, of course - my bad! That's definitely a Bitwig point.

pongasoft
RE Developer

02 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018

I totally agree with you. I spent a significant amount of time porting one of my RE to VST and it was long and painful (but because my REs are free and open source (in the VST world) I have different constraints...). I actually suggested what you are talking about to Props CEO: they take care of the (final) compiling, packaging, hosting, multi platform, security, etc... for VST as well.

The only "issue" is that they would have to significantly step up the development environment (no more build servers down, arbitrary limits on upload size, days/weeks to get RE approved, days/weeks to get shop page (even a typo fix) approved.... etc...)

Yan

CephaloPod

02 Jun 2018

Just tried the web version. Is anyone else getting lots of pops and crackles? I'm using a 5 year old MacBook Air. Same behavior on Safari and Chrome. No other apps running.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

zumBeispiel

03 Jun 2018

supersplaron wrote:
01 Jun 2018

... but no Reason 10 Lite users :(

EdGrip

03 Jun 2018

A ScottyM gem from KVR:
Even this offer is a slap in the face for Propellerhead users themselves and they can't even see that. This a native instrument that is supposed to be exclusive to those who own Reason, but no... they give it away so it's not, and people swallow the bait that's it's some how dumbed down because it''s not in the rack.. but he reality is, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference, it's still the same instrument. But Reason fanboi's will hail them with gratitude... yet the fundamental problem they are skirting around is the 18 year old tiny rack they created and has never been bigger than it is now in height and actual width, a core part of the program. And remember boys and girls...VST was right on the table 10 years ago.

• Information