Europa VST/AU!!!!!

Discuss VST stuff here!
sonicbyte

30 May 2018

By the way al Reason 10 users get a free VST/AU license into our user account... according to CEO statement https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/euro ... in-is-here

tallrobphilp

30 May 2018

First off - I'm new here so hello.

I can't see an issue with this. It's just a new revenue stream for the company and if that helps keep them going then that's great. It's not "competition" for Reason because nobody is using Reason purely for one or 2 instruments but rather for the whole modular ecosystem and workflow (among other things).

They aren't likely to abandon Reason or the RE ecosystem because they dip a toe into new waters. If other DAW users get enjoyment from this VST and maybe try Reason then great. If not, no problem.

sdst
Competition Winner

30 May 2018

rcbuse wrote:
30 May 2018
sdst wrote:
30 May 2018
very nice, all wins with this

especially if the presets works in all versions
The presets even work in the web version.
that's good news,. :thumbs_up: hope to see thousands of good presets. :)

EdGrip

30 May 2018

Nobody's going to not buy Reason because they've got Europa VST. People WILL buy Europa who would never have bought Reason, which is all extra funds for Propellerhead.
What it does mean is a new soft synth for the gear forums to bicker about, which means extra chatter about Propellerhead and Reason, and all publicity is good publicity etc. Other people might find their way to Reason via Europa.
Basically, what I'm saying is it's hard to imagine any angle from which this isn't a great move. And yet I know this thread will tell me. ;)

botnotbot

30 May 2018

Reading between the lines here: They are showing off two separate, brand new target platforms for the RE SDK. They are not saying it in those terms, nor have they publicly announced it as an option for third party developers.

Therefore please read the following as rampant, if reasoned, speculation:

Europa is an RE plugin. Here we now have Europa running as a VST and as a browser thingamajig! They are flexing early evidence of the success of their design goals with the RE SDK, but this is absolutely just the beginning, IMO.

It seemed like an insane gambit to me at the time, but the RE ecosystem has a lot of interesting potential ahead of it. Since all of the third party ecosystem targets their toolchain, they can choose to upgrade the platform targets for the entire third party ecosystem whenever they add platform targets to their toolchain.

Obviously they don't consider this ready for third party availability yet, so I imagine targetting VST is not a super smooth process at the moment. But it has the potential to be.

So to my eyes this is Props essentially shooting a few fireworks into the air signalling that they are on their way to having the capability to ship a physical instrument that "runs" Reason in a way that any VST-dependent host will just never be able to manage as gracefully.

botnotbot

30 May 2018

EdGrip wrote:
30 May 2018
Nobody's going to not buy Reason because they've got Europa VST. People WILL buy Europa who would never have bought Reason, which is all extra funds for Propellerhead.
What it does mean is a new soft synth for the gear forums to bicker about, which means extra chatter about Propellerhead and Reason, and all publicity is good publicity etc. Other people might find their way to Reason via Europa.
Basically, what I'm saying is it's hard to imagine any angle from which this isn't a great move. And yet I know this thread will tell me. ;)
This also has the effect of getting them onto Props mailing lists for sales as well as the store, which has been selling VSTs for a while now, with a cut to the shopkeep.

So driving VST users into the shop has the potential to increase revenue even if they never purchase another Prop product.

Aosta

30 May 2018

sdst wrote:
30 May 2018

that's good news,. :thumbs_up: hope to see thousands of good presets. :)

That is pretty amazing! There are going to 1000s upon 1000s of patches and compilations all over the web in no time at all, crazy.
Tend the flame

raccoonboy

30 May 2018

This should really be in the VST forum though. :geek:

sonicbyte

30 May 2018

The web version is an amazing achievement (I'm a front-end developer, so I know it's incredible that they make this work so good)

guitfnky

30 May 2018

put me in the 'I don't get it' camp. they usually don't roll something out until they've got it pretty much completely fleshed out, so I think the idea that they're going to somehow port some or all of their REs to VSTs is awfully premature. maybe this is to just get more people to try something Reason-related, so they'll consider moving to Reason? maybe it's to fight the whole "Reason sound" thing (which, TBH, I thought was finally dead)?

and I just saw the price...they're charging $150 for it once the intro price is done? there doesn't seem any reason a Serum user, for example, would ever want to buy Europa, and if you're in the market for a moderately expensive synth VST, wouldn't you just go with Serum in the first place?

normally, I think Props makes some really solid business decisions, and maybe they have here, and I'm just not seeing it, but yeah...I don't get it.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

antic604

30 May 2018

botnotbot wrote:
30 May 2018
Reading between the lines here: They are showing off two separate, brand new target platforms for the RE SDK. They are not saying it in those terms, nor have they publicly announced it as an option for third party developers.

Therefore please read the following as rampant, if reasoned, speculation:

Europa is an RE plugin. Here we now have Europa running as a VST and as a browser thingamajig! They are flexing early evidence of the success of their design goals with the RE SDK, but this is absolutely just the beginning, IMO.

It seemed like an insane gambit to me at the time, but the RE ecosystem has a lot of interesting potential ahead of it. Since all of the third party ecosystem targets their toolchain, they can choose to upgrade the platform targets for the entire third party ecosystem whenever they add platform targets to their toolchain.

Obviously they don't consider this ready for third party availability yet, so I imagine targetting VST is not a super smooth process at the moment. But it has the potential to be.

So to my eyes this is Props essentially shooting a few fireworks into the air signalling that they are on their way to having the capability to ship a physical instrument that "runs" Reason in a way that any VST-dependent host will just never be able to manage as gracefully.
I think they can also easily achieve one more thing - make it possible for RE devs to easily convert them to VSTs, under the condition they will be sent through Props' shop with a revenue cut for them.

That's pretty smart!

fotizimo

30 May 2018

And a confirmation they are still active on the mobile version of Reason! Thor is a great instrument on my iPad and I could only imagine what a touch-friendly version of Reason would be like.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

eusti

30 May 2018

I'm getting a "Redeem your voucher code" when trying to download the VST / AU version.

D.

WongoTheSane

30 May 2018

eusti wrote:
30 May 2018
I'm getting a "Redeem your voucher code" when trying to download the VST / AU version.

D.
Same here. I suppose it'll be fixed in a matter of minutes.

Edit: it's fixed.

jimmyklane

30 May 2018

rcbuse wrote:
30 May 2018
sdst wrote:
30 May 2018
very nice, all wins with this

especially if the presets works in all versions
The presets even work in the web version.
The new synths put me over the top in moving from Reason 7 to 10. I was pleased at the time to use my external harwsre, but have so many incredible VSTs and wanted to make Reason my only DAW. It is a little annoying that every other DAW user now has access to one of my favorite softsynths, as while I always program my own sounds, each synth has an imposed workflow (due to its architecture) that informs the sounds you get from it. By giving every other DAW user the access to this synth, I feel like I’ve gotten a little bit robbed of the uniqueness within Reason.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jimmyklane

30 May 2018

fotizimo wrote:
30 May 2018
And a confirmation they are still active on the mobile version of Reason! Thor is a great instrument on my iPad and I could only imagine what a touch-friendly version of Reason would be like.
Didn’t they have a version for iPad only several years back? Or is that only ReBirth?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

WongoTheSane

30 May 2018

Impressive video, btw.

exxx

30 May 2018

Could it be that the rack market is failing and closing the rack market in the long run?

I am a balance user and PH tends not to care about traditional consumers.

Maybe LAYERS and various PH instruments will come to the VST market?

svenh

30 May 2018

Great! May I have
* Thor
* Scream 4
* Radical Piano
too?
;)

seqoi

30 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018
By giving every other DAW user the access to this synth, I feel like I’ve gotten a little bit robbed of the uniqueness within Reason.
Oh my god. Uniqueness if any does not come out of Reason. You are responsible for developing that!!! you!!

Ah yes so better to blame application for the lack of something right?

What the hell??

People which defined musical genres they all used same synths yet they made timeless pieces. Imagine that each and every one of them demanded some unique synth uhm ok what the hell. I think this thread is not for me anymore i guess i have different point of view on that but take it as you want.

All these comments like "i feel i am not special anymore because everyone else can use Europa now" or "Reason universe is doomed because Europa is available to all people now" tell me that something creepy is going on and i don't want to be part of it.

Instead of praising their work and making incredible instrument available to everyone you guys are crying like kids because what? Person XY can make a sound. Ok.

If you did not realized that you need to play instrument, it does not play by itself - therefore you need to learn and develop your style and "uniqueness" - you are in the wrong train.

I think i am too old for this. Logging out.

sdst
Competition Winner

30 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018
It is a little annoying that every other DAW user now has access to one of my favorite softsynths,
really?

I don't care, everyone can use whatever they want

Alkua

30 May 2018

Prop wait to much to do this. They should do it long time ago starting with Thor. Under propellerhead account their is a new VST tab, so this is just the first, more are coming.

eusti

30 May 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
30 May 2018
eusti wrote:
30 May 2018

D.
Same here. I suppose it'll be fixed in a matter of minutes.

Edit: it's fixed.
Yup! Thanks... Got it running in Garageband now... :)

D.

antic604

30 May 2018

Alkua wrote:
30 May 2018
Prop wait to much to do this. They should do it long time ago starting with Thor. Under propellerhead account their is a new VST tab, so this is just the first, more are coming.
It's not new, it's been there for months at least since their cooperation with Positive Grid for Bias FX VST.

But, I hope you're right and more are coming indeed :)

esselfortium

30 May 2018

The Reason 10 update costs 129. Other DAW users being able to buy Europa for 149 or even 99 is not going to make your Reason 10 upgrade pointless. Come on.

This is an interesting surprise, and I hope it means they’re thinking of expanding the entire RE market to other DAWs. That could potentially be a great way to get developers to invest more in it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

• Information