Struggle with my EQWL Gold Ed

Discuss VST stuff here!
LordLarsa

19 May 2018

Hello,

I bought Reason 9.5 in order to be able to play my old EQWL Gold inside and then I don't use Cubase anymore in order to use it to. But since now, I can't play it.

So I explain, apparently I must install Kontakt to play it inside. So I did installed Kontakt 5 but then I struggle. I figured out I had to install the library via Native Access and when I go to "library" I want to install my EQWL Gold Ed in Native Access, when I put the path of where the folder is installed, it keeps saying "Library path is not valid. Please browse again". I tried many things. Plus it says "Demo" but it's a full version.

I don't know what to do. How to install my EQWL Gold Ed in Kontakt 5 please? or to play it in Reason? Apparently it's not a normal VST so the .dll file is useless? I'm desesperate since I bought Reason 10 for that, being able to play VST in it...

Are there other alternative?

Thank you for your help

adfielding

19 May 2018

LordLarsa wrote:
19 May 2018
So I explain, apparently I must install Kontakt to play it inside. So I did installed Kontakt 5 but then I struggle. I figured out I had to install the library via Native Access and when I go to "library" I want to install my EQWL Gold Ed in Native Access, when I put the path of where the folder is installed, it keeps saying "Library path is not valid. Please browse again". I tried many things. Plus it says "Demo" but it's a full version.
EWQLSO doesn't use Kontakt. You might be getting confused because older versions of EWQLSO used a self-contained/stripped-down relative of Kontakt called Kompakt, which was discontinued years and years ago. Kompakt is massively out of date, is 32-bit only, and Kompakt libraries (as far as I know) are not supported in any way by Kontakt 5. I know this because I didn't update my copy of EWQLSO Gold for years and years, right up until I got a Mac and had to get the PLAY upgrade to use it with 64-bit applications.

There is no way to use the old version of EWQLSO with Kontakt 5. I imagine the only way to use the old Kompakt version in Reason (or any other 64-bit application) would be to use a bridge, but if you're doing that then you might as well just get the latest supported version. I ended up upgrading to the PLAY version which solved all of my problems, but if anyone else has another solution I'd be interested to hear it!

edit: also, bear in mind that Reason doesn't have support for VST MIDI channels. This means that you can't just fire up one instance of EWQLSO and play different instruments using different MIDI channels - you will need one instance per instrument/articulation. I ended up picking up Cinematic Studio Strings, which is a Kontakt instrument and uses key-switches for articulations. This still means I need one Kontakt instance per instrument, but it beats having to open up one VST per instrument AND articulation.

LordLarsa

19 May 2018

Thanks for your clear answer, I think it explains everything. I got confused between Kompakt and Kontakt i guess or read wrong people on internet that lead me wrong. So I can say bye to EWQL Gold I guess. Too bad. At the moment I'm writting a orchestration just with the Orchestral instruments provided my reason, but I feel limited and I had the feeling that the EWQL Gold sounds were sounding better? I will post another topic right away on recommandations for me for a new Orchestral VST set (that works with Reason of course)

Thanks again

• Information