The other way round - a VST wrapper for REs

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Ahornberg

10 May 2018

What about a VST wrapper for REs?

The idea behind this is to be able to use REs (mostly synths) in other DAWs.
Yes, I know I can use Rewire for this purpose ... it's just about the idea :lightbulb:

platzangst

10 May 2018

In a practical sense, the obvious hurdle to get over is the licensing setup - that is, I'd assume the wrapper would have to be able to access your PH account and see that you own the various REs and allow your system to read/use them outside Reason, apart from the technical aspects of running the code, and so I think this would have to be done in close cooperation with PH themselves, if not done by PH.

fieldframe
RE Developer

10 May 2018

An interesting idea. It would definitely have to be a first-party solution, but it could be a new revenue source for Rack Extensions and thus have some genuine business value for Propellerhead to develop.

Rather than wrapping individual REs, I think you'd want a rack, similar to how Reaktor loads as a VST. You can get something kind of like this using Rewire today, but let's be honest - Rewire is getting quite long in the tooth, and it's a pretty cumbersome solution by today's standards. A VST that is just Reason's rack by itself, plus the browser, would be a great fit in any DAW, and increase the value of REs substantially for both current and prospective Reason owners.

I could see it as either a feature for Reason (like how Reaktor includes its VST version) or its own standalone product (preferably both).

bsp

11 May 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
10 May 2018
What about a VST wrapper for REs?

The idea behind this is to be able to use REs (mostly synths) in other DAWs.
Yes, I know I can use Rewire for this purpose ... it's just about the idea :lightbulb:
I suggested this a couple of months ago (both to PH and in this forum).

A short discussion ensued and IIRC, the consensus was that "it could work".

Personally, I think it would be the next best thing since sliced bread :-)

EnochLight

11 May 2018

how_about.gif
how_about.gif (811 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

lowpryo

11 May 2018

this is my dream now that I've moved my primary DAW over to Ableton. I still use Reason for sound design and playing around, but I'd love a Reason Rack as a VST. I could imagine 2 variants - an Instrument rack and an Effect rack. and while it's highly unlikely, it does feel a little possible since they've opened up to VST now.

fieldframe
RE Developer

11 May 2018

lowpryo wrote:
11 May 2018
this is my dream now that I've moved my primary DAW over to Ableton. I still use Reason for sound design and playing around, but I'd love a Reason Rack as a VST. I could imagine 2 variants - an Instrument rack and an Effect rack. and while it's highly unlikely, it does feel a little possible since they've opened up to VST now.
Yeah, as long as Propellerhead isn't interested in adding a clip launcher, this would be a great way to bring clip-based improvisation and performance together with the Reason rack.

It really can't be overstated how big a value-add this would be for Rack Extensions. RE developers would gain access to the entire DAW plugin market overnight. And with Propellerhead's cut on RE purchases, it could be a huge moneymaker for them as well - so much so that this could make sense as a feature for Reason Intro, or a cheaper standalone rack VST product. There could even be a bare-bones version for free, just to get people into the RE store!

EdGrip

12 May 2018

I can see a couple of benefits for PH of developing a ReRack VST:
- They get additional revenue from a new RE audience, which might encourage new RE development, and
- the existing RE audience no longer has to be nervous about investing in a Reason-only plugin format (especially now they can use VST in Reason), so they'll buy more RE.
- What a great advert for Reason, in use by non-Reason people every day. Popping up in Ableton tutorial videos, you name it.

Downsides:
- The Rack is Reason's USP. Without it, it's an ordinary mixer and an ordinary sequencer. If people can just buy the Rack and use it in other DAWs, will that negatively impact Reason sales more than the new income generated from ReRack VST?
- I know we go on about it, but I think the Rack would need that graphics update to play in the outside world as a new 2018 product.

I'd say it's definitely worth serious consideration.

groggy1

13 May 2018

It's an interesting idea to get people "hooked" on Reason from the outside.

I wonder whether people who don't use Reason today would want this (since they can get great Synths already like Serum, Omnisphere, etc).

EdGrip

13 May 2018

It's the CV and intermodulation of devices that would be the selling point for non Reason users.

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 May 2018

Or just offer a trimmed down version of Reason as a VST (no need for a sequencer, etc.)

Ahornberg

01 Jun 2018

... and now they released Europa as a VST.

Here I see more to come like Grain, Parsec and so on ...

Maybe the RE SDK will become a way for developing VSTs too.

• Information