Synapse Dune 2 on sale

Discuss VST stuff here!
Loque

29 Mar 2018

Is it worth to have, if there is eXpanse, Antidote or actual the NI standard bundle with Massive for 99?

http://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html
Reason12, Win10

riemac

29 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
29 Mar 2018
Is it worth to have, if there is eXpanse, Antidote or actual the NI standard bundle with Massive for 99?

http://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html
In my opinion Dune 2 is worth it. Dune 2 is one of the best synths out there, especially if you like supersaws. It sounds a lot better than Antidote and is much lighter on the cpu in comparison to the other three synths.

Soeno

29 Mar 2018

on of my favourite synths so far, nice gui with a lot of skins available
sounds more like Diva than Serum

EnochLight

29 Mar 2018

I absolutely adore Dune 2 - one of the best "supersaw synths" on the market (if not THE best). Super light on CPU and the library available for it is great. Probably Richard's finest product ever made, IMHO. :puf_smile:

Also, you can browse and manage its presets using both Reason's native browser as well as its built-in proprietary.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2018

I've been getting along quite fabulously with DuneCM. Has no onboard effects (which is a positive for me) and lacks the 2nd mod matrix page (don't care!), but it loads normal DUNE soundsets and is overall a great free synth. Plus you can mod it to remove the ugly Computer Music logo:

duneCM.png
duneCM.png (547.77 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

And as far as Supersaw synths - I was trying to replicate the sounds of my JP-8080 with Hive, and I got so lost in the moment that I couldn't tell which synth was which and I actually confused Hive for the JP multiple times. In my opinion, Hive's supersaw sounds EXACTLY like the Roland JP's, and I can prove it!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
29 Mar 2018
I've been getting along quite fabulously with DuneCM. Has no onboard effects (which is a positive for me) and lacks the 2nd mod matrix page (don't care!), but it loads normal DUNE soundsets and is overall a great free synth. Plus you can mod it to remove the ugly Computer Music logo:
I have DuneCM and have been getting some good use out of it. I decided to jump on the discount and purchase Dune 2 full. Regardless, I will keep DuneCM, but wondered if you could share how to mod it. I'm on a Mac. Thanks!

Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2018

Despondo wrote:
29 Mar 2018
I have DuneCM and have been getting some good use out of it. I decided to jump on the discount and purchase Dune 2 full. Regardless, I will keep DuneCM, but wondered if you could share how to mod it. I'm on a Mac. Thanks!
Nevermind...I see that when you open the contents of the VST, there are some bmp files in the Resourses folder...A little photoshop, and voila!

miscend

29 Mar 2018

Could mean that Dune 3 is imminent.

tobypearce

30 Mar 2018

I love Dune 2 to bits.

With other synths I lean a bit more toward presets, but with Dune 2 it's easier just to create from scratch. You can of course do this with any synth, but I love designing sounds in Dune 2.

If you're into a synth with magical spread and detune, it's great.

Finally, it's seriously easy on DSP. I've done pretty detailed testing and it's more efficient on my system than Sylenth or Spire.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Soeno

30 Mar 2018

miscend wrote:
29 Mar 2018
Could mean that Dune 3 is imminent.
heard this, but it was reduced before for the same price

brand

30 Mar 2018

I was reading up a bit on Massive, and its heavy demands on CPU. Then I saw this discussion which mentions the same thing in Dune vs Massive. NI says Massive requires i5. I have a fairly new iMac, i7, so I am thinking that's OK. I read that Massive has a couple of different operating modes (or at least it used to - I do not see that in the current manual, but now I see a "panic" button).
Does Massive really have these high CPU demands?

Soeno

30 Mar 2018

no, don`t be afraid, it`s an rather old machine

brand

30 Mar 2018

Soeno wrote:
30 Mar 2018
no, don`t be afraid, it`s an rather old machine
Thanks!

qn5

03 Apr 2018

Copped. I'm in love.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

DonnieAlan

15 Apr 2018

Dune 2 is a one of kind, unique and powerful VI. HIghly programmable with the ability to create your own wavetables for it. Its very versatile, has a unique, rich sound, and good on board fx. If budget allows, there's no reason not to own it. Its been a stable in my VI list for since it was released.

And, there's several great 3rd party voice libraries out there for it, too.

Loque

12 Nov 2018

Dune2 for $99 and Dune for $49 atm: https://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html

Maybe its worth to mention, that there are speculations of a Dune 3 since this summer and a potential release at the end of the year.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

12 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
12 Nov 2018
Dune2 for $99 and Dune for $49 atm: https://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html

Maybe its worth to mention, that there are speculations of a Dune 3 since this summer and a potential release at the end of the year.
It’s public knowledge that Dune 3 is currently in beta and is (hopefully) wrapping up, soon. I can’t comment on what sort of deals Richard will have at launch, but I would hope that he would honor Dune 2 purchases for some sort of Dune 3 upgrade package. Or not.

Anyone know?
Last edited by EnochLight on 12 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DonnieAlan

12 Nov 2018

I have both Dune CM and Dune 2 and both are quite nice. Dune 2 is a powerful VI combining standard wave oscillators with wave tables PLUS a bit of FM thrown in for good measure. Each patch can be made up of up to 8 voices, with each voices made up of up to 3 oscillators mixed together. LFOs can be routed in multiple ways and each voice can have its own filters, LFOs etc. And then theres the Multi-Step-Envelope=Generator (MSEG), which can do all sorts of amazing things in sound design. You're only limited by your imagination and your CPU. And, there's a nice onboard sequencer with multiple routing possibilities, AND you can even import your own MIDI patterns for arps. But wait, there's more....you can also import your own wavetables. So, sound design possibilities with this puppy are endless! In my opinion, Dune2 is a "must have". Its a sound designers dream. And there's plenty of very nice 3rd party patch libraries to be had for it, most at very modest prices.

As mentioned earlier, Dune 3 is in the works and in beta testing now. The one big drawback when Dune 2 came out was that you couldn't use any of your Dune 1 patches as it was a whole new setup. I hope...really hope...that will not be the case with Dune 3. I'm hoping Dune 3 will offer new design features, but also allow import of existing Dune 2 patch libraries, which can then be tweaked further with whatever new design features Dune 3 will offer.

The FX in Dune 2 are also quite nice. I tend not to get overly excited about builtin fx, especially reverbs and delays, as more often than not, I want to add those in at the mix level. But, there's a bunch of other nice fx that can be used creatively in the overall sound design of a patch. Its also easy as pie to switch off any fx that you don't want for a mix.

At $99, its a steal!!

riemac

12 Nov 2018

DonnieAlan wrote:
12 Nov 2018
I have both Dune CM and Dune 2 and both are quite nice. Dune 2 is a powerful VI combining standard wave oscillators with wave tables PLUS a bit of FM thrown in for good measure. Each patch can be made up of up to 8 voices, with each voices made up of up to 3 oscillators mixed together. LFOs can be routed in multiple ways and each voice can have its own filters, LFOs etc. And then theres the Multi-Step-Envelope=Generator (MSEG), which can do all sorts of amazing things in sound design. You're only limited by your imagination and your CPU. And, there's a nice onboard sequencer with multiple routing possibilities, AND you can even import your own MIDI patterns for arps. But wait, there's more....you can also import your own wavetables. So, sound design possibilities with this puppy are endless! In my opinion, Dune2 is a "must have". Its a sound designers dream. And there's plenty of very nice 3rd party patch libraries to be had for it, most at very modest prices.

As mentioned earlier, Dune 3 is in the works and in beta testing now. The one big drawback when Dune 2 came out was that you couldn't use any of your Dune 1 patches as it was a whole new setup. I hope...really hope...that will not be the case with Dune 3. I'm hoping Dune 3 will offer new design features, but also allow import of existing Dune 2 patch libraries, which can then be tweaked further with whatever new design features Dune 3 will offer.

The FX in Dune 2 are also quite nice. I tend not to get overly excited about builtin fx, especially reverbs and delays, as more often than not, I want to add those in at the mix level. But, there's a bunch of other nice fx that can be used creatively in the overall sound design of a patch. Its also easy as pie to switch off any fx that you don't want for a mix.

At $99, its a steal!!
Richard has stated, that Dune3 will be patch compatible with Dune2.

DonnieAlan

12 Nov 2018

riemac wrote:
12 Nov 2018
Richard has stated, that Dune3 will be patch compatible with Dune2.
Well, that's good to know. Thanks!

Loque

12 Nov 2018

DonnieAlan wrote:
12 Nov 2018
....you can also import your own wavetables
Hmm....didnt knew this...that is quite interesting compared to other stuff... That feature makes the other features shine in a different light... But i am struggling to buy now, and pay twice when Dune3 comes out.
Reason12, Win10

future-bit

12 Nov 2018

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Arrant
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2018

Picked up Dune 2 in the spring sale and it was an instant hit for me. It really is much better than Antidote, for example, which may be the closest you can get in RE land since both instruments are from the same Developer.

Any opinions on whether it's worth picking up Dune (1) as well when you already have Dune 2?

EnochLight

13 Nov 2018

Arrant wrote:
13 Nov 2018
Picked up Dune 2 in the spring sale and it was an instant hit for me. It really is much better than Antidote, for example, which may be the closest you can get in RE land since both instruments are from the same Developer.

Any opinions on whether it's worth picking up Dune (1) as well when you already have Dune 2?
Dune 2 is not preset compatible with Dune 1, and Dune 2 is such a massive improvement over version 1 there's really no reason to get v 1, IMHO (especially with Dune 3 around the corner). About Antidote - it actually shares some DSP with the Dune "family" from what I understand. It was the best approximation Richard and co. could deliver when the RE SDK first appeared.

antic604

13 Nov 2018

future-bit wrote:
12 Nov 2018
I wanted upgrade Dune 1 to Dune 2 on last week, but Richard answered me and suggested waiting for Dune 3. So it will be soon.
Apparently Dune 3 is supposed to be released by the end of this month! :thumbs_up:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p7220139

• Information