Anyone use Largo?

Discuss VST stuff here!
BRIGGS

26 Feb 2018

Waldorf??? I think I just fell in love!!! :shock:

The sound quality and relatively low cpu usage seems like magic!!!

Still working on getting my head around the mod matrix.

Thoughts???
r11s

Soeno

28 Feb 2018

i have a blofeld keyboard and a micro-Q rack, also had the analog pulse and the 4-pole filter years ago
they have a new hardware monster in the pipeline for ~ 4000 Euro
https://www.waldorfmusic.com/en/quantum

they always made good software too

BRIGGS

28 Feb 2018

Soeno wrote:
28 Feb 2018
i have a blofeld keyboard and a micro-Q rack, also had the analog pulse and the 4-pole filter years ago
they have a new hardware monster in the pipeline for ~ 4000 Euro
https://www.waldorfmusic.com/en/quantum

they always made good software too
Funny, I was reading an article about wavetable synthesis that bascally said that Massive, Spire, Serum were for the EDM kiddies, and the Waldorf/PPG/Etc. stuff was for the more 'mature' crowd.😃

I don't know about all that, but the Waldorf stuff does have a long history and a unique character to the sound.
r11s

Harmen

28 Feb 2018

People always try to put this into boxes. It's just synthesizers from different angles (Idea's). I have Serum and will get Wolfgang Palm's synths some day, different fabric different flavour. But not all at once: since it takes time to delve into these kind of synth,.They are less, shut up ,take a preset and be happy kind off transpire synths. Largo would be a nice cup of tea, take 5 cups at least I suppose.
Although I'm still waiting for more CV in out options in VST land for Reason. I'll first would go into Rack Extensions.

my 2 centimeters.

tumar

28 Feb 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
28 Feb 2018

Funny, I was reading an article about wavetable synthesis that bascally said that Massive, Spire, Serum were for the EDM kiddies, and the Waldorf/PPG/Etc. stuff was for the more 'mature' crowd.😃
Don't believe every sh*t you read... BTW, I had Blofeld Keyboard version and it was worst hardware synth I ever had. I sold it 3 weeks after purchase. I wish I could use it just as midi keyboard, because I loved its white, clear design with nice empty space right for my white Virus Snow ;)

chk071

28 Feb 2018

Largo is excellent. One of my favorite soft synths. Waldorf is awesome in general.

Mobiler Beitrag

:reason: :rebirth:

BRIGGS

28 Feb 2018

tumar wrote:
28 Feb 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
28 Feb 2018

Don't believe every sh*t you read... BTW, I had Blofeld Keyboard version and it was worst hardware synth I ever had. I sold it 3 weeks after purchase. I wish I could use it just as midi keyboard, because I loved its white, clear design with nice empty space right for my white Virus Snow ;)
Don't get me wrong, I have Massive and Spire...I just think what's popular takes attention away from other interesting things....I get bored easy.
r11s

BRIGGS

28 Feb 2018

chk071 wrote:
28 Feb 2018
Largo is excellent. One of my favorite soft synths. Waldorf is awesome in general.

Mobiler Beitrag

I agree, and it's close to being my #1 favorite.
r11s

BRIGGS

02 Mar 2018

r11s

EdGrip

02 Mar 2018

I love that person's videos. All the editing and splicing and weird clips.
I used to have an Alexis Ion and was looking for demos, they did one.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

02 Mar 2018

I love my blofeld which is somewhat of a hardware version of the Largo. I think the mod matrix in the blofeld is the best mod matrix I've ever seen in any synth (Hard or Soft).

chk071

02 Mar 2018

EdGrip wrote:I love that person's videos. All the editing and splicing and weird clips.
Me too, even though the videos can be a bit crazy at times. :) Really like his sounds though. If you haven't watched it already, also watch his Virus videos. Great stuff.

Mobiler Beitrag

Resonator

02 Mar 2018

I demoed Largo back in 2010 and loved it. I also have Nave on the iPad, which is incredible. Waldorf always make nice synths.

tumar

04 Mar 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
02 Mar 2018
I love my blofeld which is somewhat of a hardware version of the Largo. I think the mod matrix in the blofeld is the best mod matrix I've ever seen in any synth (Hard or Soft).
Demoed Largo and I think it sounds better than Blofeld. I had Blofeld Keyboard and it couldn't use its sequencer/arp as source for mod matrix, like other synths can (Mopho is perfect example). Keytrack in mod matrix crashed synth etc etc. And even worse - Blofeld wasn't able to send its arp to midi out. Generally, it couldn't work as midi keyboard. It was first time I was relieved when I sold hardware.

chk071

04 Mar 2018

IMO (i had the Blofeld for a couple of days, and compared it to Largo, they're 98% the same, sound wise (which is also been stated in this article: https://modulatethis.com/2011/07/23/wal ... s-blofeld/). I found that Largo sounds a tad more bright, while the bass boost adds a little more bass to the lower end, compared to Blofeld (which has the bass boost on by default, you can't switch it off). I found the programming of Blofeld a lot more fiddly, and difficult though, obviously, because it only has a few knobs, and requires a lot of page switching, while Largo is extremely straight forward from the plugin GUI. Of course, you can load a, editor for Blofeld, which makes programmign it easier. Largo also has 256 vs. the 25 voices of the Blofeld. They both have exactly the same wavetables, but, you can load user wavetables in Blofeld. Blofeld also has the PPG filter, which Largo is missing.

Overall, i didn't find a compelling reason to keep the Blofeld. Workflow, and feature wise, Largo beats it IMO. But, hey, if your workflow is rather hardware orientated, then Blofeld might fit the bill better.

SynthRatings

03 Nov 2018

For anyone considering Largo I have made a (loong) video about it here:

TLDW: Nice wavetables, great filters, low CPU usage, but a bit expensive considering its age.
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2018

If want WT take a look at Tone2 before you buy. Icarus and it's ability to resynthesize is impressive. The filters sound are next level.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ast3rix

05 Nov 2018

I have the largo and yes, it’s awesome! I am no sound designer, however I have found it to be fun to tinker with. I’m still going through the stock sounds... it’s like one of those hidden jems. I realize it’s been around for awhile, but it’s new to me....

Leviosum

06 Nov 2018

I also use Largo and I am very satisfied with it. I am only a beginner and so far it is really fun to explore it. Great tool!

BRIGGS

20 Jan 2019

Like trance?

r11s

BRIGGS

20 Jan 2019

SynthRatings wrote:
03 Nov 2018

TLDW: Nice wavetables, great filters, low CPU usage, but a bit expensive considering its age.
That was a deep dive. Very enjoyable! Thanks! :thumbs_up:
r11s

SynthRatings

22 Jan 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Jan 2019

That was a deep dive. Very enjoyable! Thanks! :thumbs_up:
Glad to hear someone enjoying my videos :puf_smile:
It's been a while since the last one now, but I'll be looking at Discovery Pro next.
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

ab459

25 Jan 2019

I am a fan of Waldorf\PPG plugins, never tried his in hardware though, but has almost all except Infinite Pro (still can't decide) and Lector, and all ios appications (just not a i-phone user).

From all of this, my fav's is PPG Wave 2.V from Waldorf Edition 2, and Wolfgang's WaveGen and WaveMapper, it's all true gems of code imo, in different sences.

After this, all of rest - Largo, Attack, PPG Wave 3.V, Phonem, Nave. Quite interesting and characterfull tools too.

It always seemed strange to me, there is a bunch of other WT synths, even with formally deeper abilities, but they do not give such pleasure. The reason here I guess a combination of different factors: main workflow (unusual sometimes), low cpu usage, filters character, specificity of modulation and envelopes, interesting post process\effects (to my ears at least) especially reverbs, and for example freeze feature in Wolfgang's plug's. Somewhere nice random\morph abilities with pretty interesting\usable result. Love these things. :thumbs_up:
SynthRatings wrote:
03 Nov 2018
Thanks, will need explore.

• Information