Juno-106 Editor VST

Discuss VST stuff here!
tallguy

24 Feb 2018

I noticed some companies out there sell VSTs that are essentially editors for hardware synths. Does anybody have any experience with that in Reason? I'm looking specially for a Juno-106 editor.

Oquasec

24 Feb 2018

They did that with waldorf. You could load waldorf wavetables in nnxt like it was an actual waldorf machine lol
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

tallguy

25 Feb 2018

Ah no. What I mean is a remote control for a hardware synth. I'm specifically looking at this Juno-106 editor. There is a list of supported DAWs at the bottom of that page with no mention of Reason. I contacted the developer and he simply has never tested it in Reason 10. As there's no trial version of the VST, I'd have to cough up $70 just to find out if it works or not.

raymondh

25 Feb 2018

tallguy wrote:
25 Feb 2018
Ah no. What I mean is a remote control for a hardware synth. I'm specifically looking at this Juno-106 editor. There is a list of supported DAWs at the bottom of that page with no mention of Reason. I contacted the developer and he simply has never tested it in Reason 10. As there's no trial version of the VST, I'd have to cough up $70 just to find out if it works or not.
I tried a VST editor for the Roland JP-08 and it didn't work.

I haven't researched it much yet but believe Reason's VST implementation does not (yet) support MIDI out. Someone can correct if they know more...

EnochLight

04 Mar 2018

tallguy wrote:
24 Feb 2018
I noticed some companies out there sell VSTs that are essentially editors for hardware synths. Does anybody have any experience with that in Reason? I'm looking specially for a Juno-106 editor.
I also own a hardware Juno 106 and was looking at that exact same editor you linked to some years ago. I never did buy it, though. Here's my concern: it hasn't been updated since 2011, and of course - Reason is NOT listed as a supported DAW. They didn't even fix support for Logic, and that's a pretty popular DAW!

My guess is you'd be taking a $69 USD gamble.

I don't know of any other VST Juno 106 editors out there, though.

*EDIT: I did find this free one that I might try, though it doesn't run as a VST: https://www.jarvik7.net/juno-106/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chk071

04 Mar 2018

Raymondh may have a good point about the MIDI out requirement of the VST. I never tried it, but, it may not work because of it in Reason. If it is correct that VST's in Reason still don't support MIDI out, of course.
:reason: :rebirth:

tallguy

04 Mar 2018

I contacted the developer and asked him about Reason support. It’s not on the list simply because he never tested it. He promised me my money back if I didn’t get it to work in Reason.

So I coughed up the $69, spent a whole evening trying to activate it with no luck, contacted him again and found out it’s not supported on macOS High Sierra or Windows 10. It’s only then that I noticed lack of support for the latest OS’s was mentioned on the (very densely laid out) product page. I haven’t heard from him since.

Now, the software comes both as a standalone and a VST. Running the standalone I can hear the sound of my Juno coming out of the computer speakers, it clearly connects to my Juno, but I can’t get rid of the panel that asks for license that sits on top of the interface. In other words, I suspect the only part of the software that’s not compatible is the licensing. Sigh.

tallguy

04 Mar 2018

chk071 wrote:
04 Mar 2018
Raymondh may have a good point about the MIDI out requirement of the VST. I never tried it, but, it may not work because of it in Reason. If it is correct that VST's in Reason still don't support MIDI out, of course.
The VST I was looking at supposedly not relying on the host’s MIDI, rather it has its own implementation which is why I was hopeful it might work in Reason.

EnochLight

04 Mar 2018

tallguy wrote:
04 Mar 2018
I contacted the developer and asked him about Reason support. It’s not on the list simply because he never tested it. He promised me my money back if I didn’t get it to work in Reason.

So I coughed up the $69, spent a whole evening trying to activate it with no luck, contacted him again and found out it’s not supported on macOS High Sierra or Windows 10. It’s only then that I noticed lack of support for the latest OS’s was mentioned on the (very densely laid out) product page. I haven’t heard from him since.

Now, the software comes both as a standalone and a VST. Running the standalone I can hear the sound of my Juno coming out of the computer speakers, it clearly connects to my Juno, but I can’t get rid of the panel that asks for license that sits on top of the interface. In other words, I suspect the only part of the software that’s not compatible is the licensing. Sigh.
Maybe try the freebie I pointed to earlier:
EnochLight wrote:
04 Mar 2018
*EDIT: I did find this free one that I might try, though it doesn't run as a VST: https://www.jarvik7.net/juno-106/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tallguy

04 Mar 2018

EnochLight wrote:
04 Mar 2018

I’ve already got a standalone Juno editor, I was interested in a VST.

EnochLight

04 Mar 2018

tallguy wrote:
04 Mar 2018
EnochLight wrote:
04 Mar 2018

I’ve already got a standalone Juno editor, I was interested in a VST.
Ah, my bad. Which standalone editor are you using?

tallguy

04 Mar 2018

Juno Editor by night birds evolve. It’s not a freebie, I didn’t know there were freebies around when I got it. It’s a native macOS app so feels pretty solid but not massively feature rich, rather bare bones.

Lizard

04 Mar 2018

Try this one :

http://ctrlr.org/sample-page/contact-information/

the upside....

This is free. It is a pretty cool program in stand alone and the developer has been updating it with the last released in 2018... so that's a plus. It does have support for 32 and 64 bit versions and will run on Windows and Mac. This one uses Panels so you have support for several hardware synths out there. you just have to choose the ones you want to support.

the downside.....

The VST looks funny in Reason. It is off-center in the window for some reason and not sure why. I have sent a bug report to the developer as i believe it is most likely on his end. If not it looks to run great in Stand Alone. I don't see why you would not be able to run both off the same MIDI device. Use a MIDI Instrument for your track and Ctrlr to change patches. I think you'd be OK until the other is fixed.

• Information