Recording EZDrummer 2 directly into Reason Essentials 10

Discuss VST stuff here!
gbvivek

17 Feb 2018

Hello,

Apologies if this is a duplicate - I searched and couldn't find this issue. I'm trying to record MIDI notes directly from the EZDrummer 2 VST into Reason Essentials 10 without having to drag and drop from EZDrummer 2.

The reasons being:
  • When recording with other instruments, drum rests get broken up in the process of dragging and dropping into Reason and the whole track doesn't come through.
  • To drag and drop from EZDrummer while recording other instruments, I have to hit record there and then hit record in Reason, which is easy to forget to do.
Currently I can create a new EZDrummer VST, and get it to output audio through Reason Essentials, but when I hit record in Reason Essentials and play notes in EZDrummer, no MIDI notes are recorded in Reason Essentials.

Thanks!

eusti

18 Feb 2018

In my understanding Reason cannot record MIDI from VST instruments at this time.
I think you might need to drop the MIDI into Reason or export / import it...

Not sure what you mean in regards to record other instruments...
What are you trying to achieve? What is your workflow / intended workflow?

D.

gbvivek

18 Feb 2018

eusti wrote:
18 Feb 2018
In my understanding Reason cannot record MIDI from VST instruments at this time.

D.
Thanks for your reply! By record other instruments I mean simultaneously.

The intended workflow is to record a guitarist and drummer playing together at the same time, where the drummer rests for a few bars. When I drag the whole MIDI track from EZDrummer into Reason, Reason imports everything up to the rest and then breaks the track. I'd like to be able to import the whole track with the rest and everything after the rest.

eusti

18 Feb 2018

gbvivek wrote:
18 Feb 2018
eusti wrote:
18 Feb 2018

D.
Thanks for your reply! By record other instruments I mean simultaneously.

The intended workflow is to record a guitarist and drummer playing together at the same time, where the drummer rests for a few bars. When I drag the whole MIDI track from EZDrummer into Reason, Reason imports everything up to the rest and then breaks the track. I'd like to be able to import the whole track with the rest and everything after the rest.
Ok. Thanks for explaining. If I understand correctly you want to record the audio from a guitarist at the same time as the MIDI from a drummer playing an electronic drum kit... Is that correct? Not sure if that is possible, as that is not how I use Reason, but couldn't you record the midi into Reason (using EZD as a VST) instead of into EZD?

D.

gbvivek

18 Feb 2018

Hello, yes, recording MIDI into Reason would be ideal, and brings me back to the original issue: When I press record in Reason Essentials 10 and play my electronic drums using EZD as a VST, I can hear them fine, but no notes are actually recorded in Reason. So how can I record midi in Reason using EZD as a VST?

eusti

18 Feb 2018

gbvivek wrote:
18 Feb 2018
Hello, yes, recording MIDI into Reason would be ideal, and brings me back to the original issue: When I press record in Reason Essentials 10 and play my electronic drums using EZD as a VST, I can hear them fine, but no notes are actually recorded in Reason. So how can I record midi in Reason using EZD as a VST?
Honestly, I cannot say... I just used my MIDI keyboard to record some beats into Reason 10 using SD as VST sound source... Worked fine...
Did you try using another MIDI controller, maybe something is funny in regards to your digital drum setup?

Another thing you could check would be: Can you use your drum kit to play into Reason's ID8 drums to record?

D.

dberndt7
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2018

Hey gbvivek. I have EZdrummer and reason 10 so can give you my experience using that.... not sure in what ways essentials would be different. So when I open a new session and then create an easy drummer vst in reason I am able to play EZdrummer using any midi input that's connected to reason. If I hit record on the reason transport and play midi notes they will be recorded into the reason sequencer and trigger drums in ezdrummer.. What I think you may be doing is opening the actual ezdrummer interface, and hitting record on the transport there.. If I do that notes are recorded on the sequencer that's part of ezdrummer but not in reason.. if you then play reason later, the notes captured in the ezdrummer sequencer are played.. but still aren't in the reason sequencer.. i guess then you'd have to do the drag into reason thing you are having to do... That's not my usual work flow, I usually skip the ezdrummer sequencer and just do record everything in directly reason. I actually did the crossgrade late summer and now mostly use superior 2.0 which doesn't have the whole separate sequencer within the programs, so that may explain my workflow. I know I'm missing some features in EZ by doing this.. but so be it.... Does that help? Are you able to record midi into reason and have reason play notes in the VST? That would be my recommendation if you have say someone playing guitar or keyboard and then someone else wanting to play drums along with them and record both parts at once..

Let me know if I'm missing part of your issue.. happy to discuss further.

strangers
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2018

gbvivek wrote:
17 Feb 2018
When recording with other instruments, drum rests get broken up in the process of dragging and dropping into Reason and the whole track doesn't come through.
To drag and drop from EZDrummer while recording other instruments, I have to hit record there and then hit record in Reason, which is easy to forget to do.

Currently I can create a new EZDrummer VST, and get it to output audio through Reason Essentials, but when I hit record in Reason Essentials and play notes in EZDrummer, no MIDI notes are recorded in Reason Essentials.

Thanks!
I use ezDrummer 2 often so hopefully I can help you out. The portion I quoted has me thinking a certain way, which you can correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds like you're mapping your drums within ezdrummer's sequencer, which I find extremely limiting. When you say rests I'm guessing you mean you mapped out a verse/chorus then left a gap to transition back to a verse and then have another block of drum mapping?

Have you tried closing those gaps/rests by joining your drum mapping? Try selecting the last section, selection the section after the gap/rest and use your options menu to join clips. Now you should be able to drag and drop or play without it cutting off at the spots where you used to have a gap.

You could also zoom out (on the sequencer), highlight the entire drum mapping you laid out and join the entire thing into one big clip.

• Information