Can some one tell me how to get rid of this?

Discuss VST stuff here!
spikey

09 Feb 2018

Talking about the "BARS" under the Analog Lab 3 Instrument... How does one get rid of those bars?

While on the topic, how do we "reset" the Instruments that Reason 10 has added/scanned in?

Thanks.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2018

Makes me wonder of Analog Lab 3 has some other funnies going on which you can check here which also answers your other question.

Windows -> Manage Plugins

From that screen you enable and disable VST plugins (unless you meant by something else of "reset").

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Poly Madness
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despondo
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2018

It looks like the frames of a pitchbend or modwheel animated graphic. Can you close Reason and go to your thumbnail folder and delete the thumbnail itself and reopen Reason?

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Reason
Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason

Catblack

12 Feb 2018

In my experience, you can retake the screenshot and then minimize the folder and it'll fix it.

In general try to do less with your computer as Reason loads. I think this error happens due to the program scanning all your thumbnails at once, and not being able to read them all.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

spikey

16 Feb 2018

In my experience, you can retake the screenshot and then minimize the folder and it'll fix it. In general try to do less with your computer as Reason loads.
I was not doing anything in Reason or on the Mac when Reason was loading. Looks like its a bug of some sort but the workaround did work. Thanks.

miscend

20 Feb 2018

Never seen that before. Did you report to Props so that they know about it.

spikey

01 Feb 2019

Well, It did it again, and now closing the folder doesn't :puf_unhappy: seem to help.

Anyone?

miscend

01 Feb 2019

Did you try clearing the thumbnails cache images?

NekujaK

02 Feb 2019

I've encountered this issue in a big way, have done a bunch of poking around to figure out what's causing it, and reported my findings to the Props. Check out this tread for more details (when I started the thread, I thought Waves plugins were the problem, but I've since discovered that's not true):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510557

What I've found is that Reason starts displaying corrupted thumbnails, along with other graphic glitches, when the installed plugin count (VSTs + REs) exceeds a certain number, which seems to be around 1000, based on what I'm seeing on my system. And actually, it's not the amount of plugins that's critical, but the amount of thumbnails that Reason has to manage.

So until the Props fix this, here's what can be done to resolve this:

- Try taking the snapshot again. Usually this will only fix the problem for the current session. The next time you launch Reason, the thumbnail glitch is likely to appear again.

- Remove some thumbnails. Reason stores thumbnails in the user directory on Windows (I don't have the exact path in front of me right now, but just dig around and you'll find it). Pull some thumbnails out of that folder and the problem should go away. But of course, some of your plugins won't have thumbnails.

- Remove some VSTs. I got rid of a few VSTs that I never use, and the glitches went away.

The above info is by no means "official", it's just what I've observed on my system after trying a bunch of stuff, so there could be more to it. But this is what I know so far.

Hope that helps somewhat.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Zac

02 Feb 2019

I had major issues with this problem as mentioned in the links above.

I deleted ALL my vst snapshot pics and the problem disappeared.

But that was shit, I really like a visual of a plugin, so I deleted all the VSTs I could without missing them... free ones.

And since I've jusy taken a snapshot of a VST as and when I use it. This helps prioritise my VSTs.

The browser window does look a bit rubbish as I scroll down as some have pics n some don't but I haven't run into these graphics issues again and I haven't stopped using VSTs that don't have pics yet.

Sure hope the Props fix this so all my VSTs can have snapshots without issues.

NekujaK

02 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
02 Feb 2019

But that was shit, I really like a visual of a plugin, so I deleted all the VSTs I could without missing them... free ones.
Based on my experience, you shouldn't have to delete all your snapshots, only enough to get under Reason's threshold, which on my setup seems to be somewhere around 1000 plugins (or about 2000 thumbnails, since 2 thumbs are stored for each VST).

If you've deleted all thumbnals, you should be able to go ahead and create thumbnails for quite a few VSTs before the glitches start occurring again. If that's not the case, then my findings above don't apply to your situation, which is very interesting.

Zac

02 Feb 2019

NekujaK wrote:
02 Feb 2019
Zac wrote:
02 Feb 2019

Based on my experience, you shouldn't have to delete all your snapshots, only enough to get under Reason's threshold, which on my setup seems to be somewhere around 1000 plugins (or about 2000 thumbnails, since 2 thumbs are stored for each VST).

If you've deleted all thumbnals, you should be able to go ahead and create thumbnails for quite a few VSTs before the glitches start occurring again. If that's not the case, then my findings above don't apply to your situation, which is very interesting.
I keep adding more vst pics so if I run into issues again I'll do a count and get back to you.

I didn't know 2 thumbs were stored for each vst...

NekujaK

04 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
02 Feb 2019
I didn't know 2 thumbs were stored for each vst...
For each plugin, two thumbnails are stored, one with a filename suffix of "_browser" and the other "_device". They're the same image, but in different sizes. I'm guessing one is used in the plugin browser and the other in the rack.

My thumbnail folder (C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason) currently contains 1,998 .png images, which translates to 999 VSTs, and everything displays normally in Reason.

When I started encountering graphic glitches, I removed about 80 VSTs to resolve the problem. So it would seem that somewhere between 999 and 1,079 VSTs is Reason's threshold before the graphics start going haywire (or 1,998 and 2,158 thumbnail .png's).

I think REs may also count towards that threshold number. I believe REs are stored in C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\Reason 10\DeviceCache. On my system, that directory contains 118 files, so the above numbers may need to be adjusted accordingly.

Curious to find out at what point you start seeing graphic glitches again.

jam-s

04 Feb 2019

NekujaK wrote:
04 Feb 2019
My thumbnail folder (C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason) currently contains 1,998 .png images, which translates to 999 VSTs, and everything displays normally in Reason.

When I started encountering graphic glitches, I removed about 80 VSTs to resolve the problem. So it would seem that somewhere between 999 and 1,079 VSTs is Reason's threshold before the graphics start going haywire (or 1,998 and 2,158 thumbnail .png's).
As programmers like powers of two (for memory alignment reasons) I suppose Reason has got an array of structs (with pointers to the bitmap data) to handle the preview images. The size of that array is most likely 1024 entries (if both pictures are referenced from a single struct) or 2048 when each preview picture is listed individually. Thus when the number of pictures exceeds that array strange things (like memory corruption of bitmap data) happen.

spikey

07 Feb 2019

Thanks for all the comments and info.

So in order to "fix" this, I've got to remove VST's (something I don't have to do with Studio 1, Logic X, Cubase 10, etc.) ???

I don't call this a feature, and I guess it is what it is, but Isn't this a bit counterproductive not to mention buggy?

Zac

07 Feb 2019

spikey wrote:
07 Feb 2019

So in order to "fix" this, I've got to remove VST's (something I don't have to do with Studio 1, Logic X, Cubase 10, etc.) ???

I don't call this a feature, and I guess it is what it is, but Isn't this a bit counterproductive not to mention buggy?
It's definitely a bug. It's a real pain. Until I found the crappy 'fix' of lowering the number of vst snapshots I was pulling my hair out.

I REALLY hope props fix this but because only a few people have been affected I wonder if it is on their radar.

NekujaK

07 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
07 Feb 2019
spikey wrote:
07 Feb 2019

It's definitely a bug. It's a real pain. Until I found the crappy 'fix' of lowering the number of vst snapshots I was pulling my hair out.

I REALLY hope props fix this but because only a few people have been affected I wonder if it is on their radar.
Definitely buggy behavior. Like all software, bugs happen. Fortunately, it's not fatal and the workaround is relatively painless. It absolutely needs to be fixed, but at least it's not causing Reason to crash. Anyway, I've written to the Props twice about this and reported my findings. It took them a while, but they finally responded saying the programmers are looking into it.

Zac

07 Feb 2019

NekujaK wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Zac wrote:
07 Feb 2019

Definitely buggy behavior. Like all software, bugs happen. Fortunately, it's not fatal and the workaround is relatively painless. It absolutely needs to be fixed, but at least it's not causing Reason to crash. Anyway, I've written to the Props twice about this and reported my findings. It took them a while, but they finally responded saying the programmers are looking into it.
Good to hear.

• Information