Output Exhale - key question

Discuss VST stuff here!
chimp_spanner

19 Jan 2018

Hey everyone! So I picked up Exhale last week and it's really good. I just wondered, firstly, if anyone else here is using it. And secondly if you've had much luck getting things to be in the right key? It seems all messed up. Like I set the note to Am for example, and it just really doesn't seem to fit with the music. I can of course use the engine to fine tune it and put things in key myself but I dunno. It just seems a little off to me. Otherwise, absolutely loving it. Just wondered if anyone else had experience the same!

EnochLight

19 Jan 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jan 2018
Hey everyone! So I picked up Exhale last week and it's really good. I just wondered, firstly, if anyone else here is using it. And secondly if you've had much luck getting things to be in the right key? It seems all messed up. Like I set the note to Am for example, and it just really doesn't seem to fit with the music. I can of course use the engine to fine tune it and put things in key myself but I dunno. It just seems a little off to me. Otherwise, absolutely loving it. Just wondered if anyone else had experience the same!
I've still got it. I have noticed that "tuning" it can be a bit tricky, but I do have to jump in and tweak as well - you're not alone. I think it's just the nature of its samples - a lot of the vocals are so processed that it just comes with the territory, me thinks! :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Przemyslaw

20 Jan 2018

I've got it. The nature of key isn't guarantee that the sound pitch will perfectly fit to the actual chord in the key you set. Otherwise there is a lot of pich tuning in samples in their own, vocal goes up or down in one sample. And of course it is actual sample vocal so it isn't perfectly pitched, it sounds live, not robotic. Personally, for me, not everything sample fit perfectly too.

chimp_spanner

22 Jan 2018

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I've basically just accepted that one tuning isn't gonna suit every patch. So I either change the key to whatever sounds best (regardless of what it says) and then tune per sample if I need to. I thought they had applied some kind of real time pitch correction to the engine itself. Maybe in version 2!

33db

23 Jan 2018

I have it but rarely use it (in Reason) because it just sucks up CPU, literally one track using triads kills Reason "computer not fast enough".
I never noticed it being out of key or needing tuning.

chimp_spanner

24 Jan 2018

33db wrote:
23 Jan 2018
I have it but rarely use it (in Reason) because it just sucks up CPU, literally one track using triads kills Reason "computer not fast enough".
That's definitely not normal man. I have about 3 or 4 in the project I'm working on at the moment. What are your system specs and project settings?

33db

24 Jan 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Jan 2018
33db wrote:
23 Jan 2018
That's definitely not normal man. I have about 3 or 4 in the project I'm working on at the moment. What are your system specs and project settings?
I posted in reason general about it, other VST's work fine, Exhale works fine in Reaper just not in Reason.
In addition to it being unplayable, all I have to do is change the patch 3 times and it gives that error.
Very frustrated with it because I like some of the sounds.

EnochLight

24 Jan 2018

33db wrote:
24 Jan 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Jan 2018

I posted in reason general about it, other VST's work fine, Exhale works fine in Reaper just not in Reason.
In addition to it being unplayable, all I have to do is change the patch 3 times and it gives that error.
Very frustrated with it because I like some of the sounds.
You definitely have a unique issue, since Exhale works fine in Reason 10 for me and plenty of others. Have you reported your issue to Propellerhead and Output?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

33db

24 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
24 Jan 2018
You definitely have a unique issue, since Exhale works fine in Reason 10 for me and plenty of others. Have you reported your issue to Propellerhead and Output?
I haven't and I don't intend too, everything else works fine in reason. My assessment is that there's something on my system between Exhale and Reason as Exhale works fine in Reaper.
All my NI VSTs work fine in Reason and I have a ton of free VSTs that all work as well.
I have another 16GB of ram I could put in the machine but I doubt that will address the issue, and just selecting 3 or more presets in exhale (not playing mind you just changing presets) cause the "this system is to slow" error.
Ideally I would just rebuild the box, it's been a couple of years and I use to do it every 6 months... just have a lot going on right now.

Przemyslaw

25 Jan 2018

You can set Cpu usage limit to "none" in reason preferences and You won't have "this system is to slow" error :)) It isn't solve the problem but at least the error message will not interrupt your work.

• Information