Can't automate resonance in RePro-1

Discuss VST stuff here!
antic604

16 Jan 2018

In Reason 10, I've been trying to automate filter resonance of a bass patch and none of the 3 ways (that I know of) to do that work:
- I can't add relevent parameter from the drop-down list in Sequencer, as resonance is not listed there,
- I can't add automation lane clicking the "Automate" button in the top of VST window,
- I can't record tweaking of the parameter manually, because the automation lane is not created (despite tweaking making audible difference)

Just to verify, I can do all and any of above for filter cut-off frequency in RePro-1.

I can also automate filter's resonance (and frequency) in RePro-5, but it doesn't work in RePro-1.

It's as if this particular parameter (and maybe others as well?) was not exposed to the DAW (although it works just fine in Bitwig 2.2).

Any ideas?

eusti

16 Jan 2018

Same here. Maybe post on the U-He KVR forum?

I guess for now a work around could be putting the RePro-1 in a combinator, assigning the filter res to one of the rotaries and then automate that one...

D.

Loque

17 Jan 2018

Does this thing have many many automatable parameters? I just had a similar problem on another synth and it seems like Reason only supports a limited number of parameters....
Reason12, Win10

antic604

17 Jan 2018

eusti wrote:
16 Jan 2018
Same here. Maybe post on the U-He KVR forum?

I guess for now a work around could be putting the RePro-1 in a combinator, assigning the filter res to one of the rotaries and then automate that one...

D.
I did. Urs himself just replied that it's because Reason's internal limit of number of VST parameters ending at 128 :(

antic604

17 Jan 2018

Loque wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Does this thing have many many automatable parameters? I just had a similar problem on another synth and it seems like Reason only supports a limited number of parameters....
Yes, all sequencer steps and their parameters are automatable :(

eusti

17 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Loque wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Yes, all sequencer steps and their parameters are automatable :(
Thanks for asking there!
Seems an odd priority... :( But I guess at least we have the work around in Reason...

D.

antic604

17 Jan 2018

Just got info from Reason support saying it's a "legacy compatibility" issue and only 249 parameters are supported.

No mention of if they plan on fixing it :(

Loque

17 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Just got info from Reason support saying it's a "legacy compatibility" issue and only 249 parameters are supported.

No mention of if they plan on fixing it :(
Yea, that there was/is a limited I already noted. They NEED to get beyond that limits of they want be a real player...
Reason12, Win10

miscend

17 Jan 2018

249 is a lot of parameters. You would think that Resonance would be given a lower parameter number.

raymondh

27 Jan 2018

I'm having the same problem! Thanks for this thread - I was confused for a while as to why I couldn't automate the parameter.

Lempface

27 Jan 2018

Why not try and put it inside a vst host like ImageLine Minihost Modular (free)? Then you can get access to the parameters. I just tried hosting it in Plogue Bidule and was able to use a Pulsar LFO on the filter resonance.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

antic604

28 Jan 2018

Lempface wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Why not try and put it inside a vst host like ImageLine Minihost Modular (free)? Then you can get access to the parameters. I just tried hosting it in Plogue Bidule and was able to use a Pulsar LFO on the filter resonance.
Because we shouldn't have to use a workaround for something that "just works" in other DAWs :)

EdGrip

28 Jan 2018

Urs just needs to make sure resonance and cutoff are together, and earlier in the parameter list than the sequencer. But I cba to email them.

antic604

28 Jan 2018

EdGrip wrote:
28 Jan 2018
Urs just needs to make sure resonance and cutoff are together, and earlier in the parameter list than the sequencer. But I cba to email them.
I wouldn't count on it: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=498375

Lempface

28 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2018
Lempface wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Because we shouldn't have to use a workaround for something that "just works" in other DAWs :)
While I don't disagree, we live in the here and now and if you want to modulate resonance, do the work around. ;)
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

raymondh

28 Jan 2018

I've emailed Props support on the topic. Will see what they suggest.

antic604

29 Jan 2018

raymondh wrote:
28 Jan 2018
I did when I encountered the problem. Basically they came back to me with a solution to either use the Combinator or contact U-He so that they'd move Resonance up in the list of parameters. They've said the limitation is in place due to compatibility reasons, whatever that means...

raymondh

29 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
29 Jan 2018
raymondh wrote:
28 Jan 2018
I did when I encountered the problem. Basically they came back to me with a solution to either use the Combinator or contact U-He so that they'd move Resonance up in the list of parameters. They've said the limitation is in place due to compatibility reasons, whatever that means...
I got the same response:

"
For legacy reasons, the number of automatable parameters in Reason is limited to 249 at the moment. A workaround would be to place the RePro-1 VST in a Combinator device. This will allow you to assign one of the Combinator rotaries to a parameter made available by the VST (the resonance in this case), then automate the Combinator rotary instead.

Hope this works out for you!
"

I'm happy with this, it will meet my needs.

antic604

29 Jan 2018

raymondh wrote:
29 Jan 2018
antic604 wrote:
29 Jan 2018

I got the same response:

"
For legacy reasons, the number of automatable parameters in Reason is limited to 249 at the moment. A workaround would be to place the RePro-1 VST in a Combinator device. This will allow you to assign one of the Combinator rotaries to a parameter made available by the VST (the resonance in this case), then automate the Combinator rotary instead.

"

Well, AFAIK with Combinator you can only automate 4 parameters, right? This is really too few for my usual needs, especially if you'd throw couple of effects in that Combinator as well :(

Loque

29 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
29 Jan 2018
raymondh wrote:
29 Jan 2018

I got the same response:

"

"

Well, AFAIK with Combinator you can only automate 4 parameters, right? This is really too few for my usual needs, especially if you'd throw couple of effects in that Combinator as well :(
With a CV controller like CV8 you can automate more. Just connect the CV out to the vst.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

29 Jan 2018

Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2018
With a CV controller like CV8 you can automate more. Just connect the CV out to the vst.
Yes, that is possibly the best solution. Thank you!

• Information