Waves causing slow Reason startup - How to Fix

Discuss VST stuff here!
NekujaK

16 Jan 2018

THE PROBLEM
Last week when I launched Reason, it suddenly took forever to startup - about 2-3 minutes to scan all my VSTs :exclamation: Normal Reason startup time on my system is usually about 8 seconds, and that's with about 700 VSTs installed. I'm running Reason 9.5 on Win 7.

TROUBLESHOOTING
I restarted my system, but that didn't help. Then I selectively removed groups of plugins from my VST directory, beginning with those most recently installed, but still no relief from the long startup time. However, when I removed WaveShell from the plugin path, Reason's startup time instantly returned to normal :puf_wink:

THE SOLUTION
Now that I found the culprit, I launched Waves Central and discovered all my Waves plugins needed to be updated. After updating, Reason's startup time returned to normal :puf_smile: However, now I need to take thumbnail snaps of all the Waves plugins again :x

CONCERNS
I'm glad there was an easy solution, but I'm also concerned as to why this spontaneous startup delay occurred in the first place. My audio production computer is not actively connected to the internet (except when downloading new plugins/software), and I haven't purchased any new Waves plugins in over a month, so there's been no recent communication between my system and the Waves servers. So why did the Waves plugins spontaneously start causing startup problems?
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

moneykube

16 Jan 2018

sometimes waves plugins install in a number of locations... I found 3 places they lived... in manage plugins there are 3 or more locations it looks(if you have not added any)... I deselected two of the boxs where reason looks... now it looks only at my main location of vsts... what I found before I did this reason was trying to load 3 instances of waves gold... a lot of plugins and only one instance will actually be loaded(start time was super slow)... the rest still get scanned and then turned off but scan times increase a lot... once I did this, startup times were a lot faster... also removed problem plugs that crashed reason on loading or did not work, or did not work without crashing... or did not work because they were vst3
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

NekujaK

16 Jan 2018

moneykube wrote:
16 Jan 2018
sometimes waves plugins install in a number of locations... I found 3 places they lived... in manage plugins there are 3 or more locations it looks(if you have not added any)... I deselected two of the boxs where reason looks... now it looks only at my main location of vsts... what I found before I did this reason was trying to load 3 instances of waves gold... a lot of plugins and only one instance will actually be loaded(start time was super slow)... the rest still get scanned and then turned off but scan times increase a lot... once I did this, startup times were a lot faster... also removed problem plugs that crashed reason on loading or did not work, or did not work without crashing... or did not work because they were vst3
Yup, I had streamlined my Waves startup configuration from the beginning, and I never had any startup issues until last week, when these problems occurred rather spontaneously.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

• Information