Midi VST - One Windows solution

Discuss VST stuff here!
midijl

15 Jan 2018

Would like to share with you how I do proceed on this, saw many posts complaining on Midi VST not working in Reason.
The following is working on Windows, and I have reason 9.5 but think it's also working on 10.

You will need : Blue Cat's Patchwork , Virtual Midi Ports on your PC like LoopBe30 or other , and this small free VST "Midi Out" from here : http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/pizjuce_x64.zip

On BlueCats:
Load first your Midi VST like Nova3 for this example ... , then load the small VST "Midi Out"
Configure the midi out for Nova3 to PORTA (or any port you like) and the midi in for the VST "Midi Out" from PORT A (same port as NOVA3)

On "Midi Out" VST :
Untick Host and Clock or you will get some Midi loops.
Configure the Midi to one of your virtual midi port ( here Loopbe30 : Port 10)

On Reason Sequencer
Create a track with your favourite Reason rack, RE, or VST instrument.(here Antidote)
Lock the same Virtual midi Port to this track ( here Loopbe30 : Port 10)

Here you go !, press play and the midi from NOVA3 is going to Antidote, you are even able to record midi coming from NOVA3.
Tried with NOVA3, Midi Madness, Kirnu Cream, Chtulhu, Rapid Composer ...
In one session of BlueCats, you can do 8 patches like that.

Of course you need to configure your Virtual midi Ports ( LoopBe30) in Reason.

Hope it is clear, sorry for my English, not my mother language.
Attachments
Midi VST.jpg
Midi VST.jpg (495.97 KiB) Viewed 5653 times

kajito

27 Mar 2018

Thanks I’ll look into it!

BananaSkins

28 Mar 2018

Thanks for this, I am trying it now but I don't see the option to lock to any virtual midi ports....? Any ideas?

midijl

29 Mar 2018

You must have your virtual midi ports configured in Reason, Preferences , Control Surfaces
Capture pref reason.JPG
Capture pref reason.JPG (152.44 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
Then right click on track to lock your virtual channel to instrument .
Capture Reason Assign.jpg
Capture Reason Assign.jpg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 5317 times

BananaSkins

29 Mar 2018

Thanks again, I'm now looking forward to setting it up and trying it :thumbs_up:

BananaSkins

30 Mar 2018

Another question please?

Within Reason 10 - I can either open Blue Cat's PATCHWORK VST as either an VST instrument or a VST effect...

Which one should I choose?

midijl

30 Mar 2018

VST instrument

BananaSkins

30 Mar 2018

Thanks... :thumbs_up:

BananaSkins

01 Apr 2018

Really liking this set up now - but still a bit unsure exactly what midi VST's I can record / extract midi from?
Basically can I extract any midi out from any VST that has a built in arpeggiator?

ljekio

10 Apr 2018

Thanks for this solution and pizmidi utils.
But Blue Cat's Patchwork is very slow plugin, is there some plugins as virtual vst rack with midi commutations?

Lempface

12 Apr 2018

I posted on this a while back. Bidule is a lot lighter weight than Patchwork and works wonderfully.

Check it out:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7505340&p=375845#p375845
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

ljekio

21 Apr 2018

Today I found MidiLoop in the pack of PIZMidi utils - it can to record any midi sequence and play loop with it.
Midi out and save/load midi files onboard. Awesome toolpack.

upd: oops, midi looper can very huge latency, not playable...

staffiwilson

12 Aug 2018

Would anyone please let me have a copy of midilooper or point me to somewhere I can download. All the links I've found on the internet lead to here: http://www.thepiz.org/cgi-sys/suspended ... midiLooper , which is a dead address.

Many thanks.

erichgschmidt

13 Aug 2018

The link to the "small free VST "Midi Out" from here : http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/pizjuce_x64.zip" is dead.

Does anyone know if this VST is hosted anywhere else?

erichgschmidt

14 Aug 2018

I googled around and discovered that you can use the internet “wayback machine” to access the archived snapshots of pizmidi.
Seems to be a decent workaround...

Ostermilk

14 Aug 2018

Instead of Loopbe 30 and Pizmidi on Windows, Loopmidi by Tobias Ericson will allow you to create as many midi ports on the fly as you want and name them how you like without even having to reboot your machine.

It's the best virtual midi setup out there. I even sent the dev a donation it is so good.

Get it here.

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

jam-s

14 Aug 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
14 Aug 2018
Instead of Loopbe 30 and Pizmidi on Windows, Loopmidi by Tobias Ericson will allow you to create as many midi ports on the fly as you want and name them how you like without even having to reboot your machine.

It's the best virtual midi setup out there. I even sent the dev a donation it is so good.

Get it here.

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
+1 to Loopmidi. It's really useful and easy to setup.

ljekio

14 Aug 2018

Loopmidi (and Loopbe) works with Pizmidi but not instead.
Loopmidi is a midiports, Pizmidi is a midi vsts.

erichgschmidt

15 Aug 2018

Yeah! I love LoopMidi! ...

Unfortunately, the issue isn't generating more virtual ports. The issue here is trying to get a VSTs midi information to record directly into reason (instead of your keyboard midi controller inputs). The VST midi-out would allow it to transmit that modified midi data directly to LoopMidi.

So when we use our midi-keyboards to control a chord VST (like Scaler), you hear a chord, but reason only records 1 note in your sequencer... With the method described in the original topic, it would write the full chords (as generated by Scaler) instead.

Either way, I tried the wayback machine versions of the VST "Piz MidiOut", but they are from 2012 and patchwork will not load them.

Does anyone out there have the latest version?

16BitBear

15 Aug 2018

erichgschmidt wrote:
13 Aug 2018
The link to the "small free VST "Midi Out" from here : http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/pizjuce_x64.zip" is dead.

Does anyone know if this VST is hosted anywhere else?
The site was suspended so a lot of the more recent links in the Wayback Machine lead to the current suspended account page.

After some work, I found some working download links.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170705163 ... izmidi.zip

https://web.archive.org/web/20170705202 ... di_x64.zip

https://web.archive.org/web/20170705145 ... di.tar.bz2

https://web.archive.org/web/20170705171 ... izmidi.dmg

This is the entire MIDI Collection which includes MIDI Out. The four links are for x86, x64, Linux, and Mac OS X.

erichgschmidt

15 Aug 2018

Yeah! This works! Thank you for the links Dj

16BitBear

16 Aug 2018

erichgschmidt wrote:
15 Aug 2018
Yeah! This works! Thank you for the links Dj
You are most welcome. :cool:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2018

erichgschmidt wrote:
15 Aug 2018
Yeah! I love LoopMidi! ...

Unfortunately, the issue isn't generating more virtual ports. The issue here is trying to get a VSTs midi information to record directly into reason (instead of your keyboard midi controller inputs). The VST midi-out would allow it to transmit that modified midi data directly to LoopMidi.

So when we use our midi-keyboards to control a chord VST (like Scaler), you hear a chord, but reason only records 1 note in your sequencer... With the method described in the original topic, it would write the full chords (as generated by Scaler) instead.

Either way, I tried the wayback machine versions of the VST "Piz MidiOut", but they are from 2012 and patchwork will not load them.

Does anyone out there have the latest version?
if you are saying you are getting data out to Loopmidi, then you can easily get Reason to record that data.

erichgschmidt

17 Aug 2018

Yeah, exactly. I think we are agreeing here.
The VST MidiOut would be used to communicate with LoopMidi or LoopBe. Unless there is another method to get "VST generated midi data" out to a virtual midi port that I'm missing... :?:

My previous work flow required Savihost for midi out. I would load Scaler in there, and then have the plugin midi output to LoopBe. It worked okay, but was pretty clunky.

This new workflow keeps all the instruments and midi controllers all within reason (instead of juggling multiple programs).

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2018

erichgschmidt wrote:
17 Aug 2018
Yeah, exactly. I think we are agreeing here.
The VST MidiOut would be used to communicate with LoopMidi or LoopBe. Unless there is another method to get "VST generated midi data" out to a virtual midi port that I'm missing... :?:

My previous work flow required Savihost for midi out. I would load Scaler in there, and then have the plugin midi output to LoopBe. It worked okay, but was pretty clunky.

This new workflow keeps all the instruments and midi controllers all within reason (instead of juggling multiple programs).
It was the paragraph after that what then confused me as you stated
erichgschmidt wrote:
15 Aug 2018
So when we use our midi-keyboards to control a chord VST (like Scaler), you hear a chord, but reason only records 1 note in your sequencer...
I don't know Scaler but I assumed it was like a player "as in" it just converting one note into a chord, so if you can hear the chord there is some midi data in there which you should be able to record.

• Information