No VST's yet

Discuss VST stuff here!
Lotus Jewel

13 Jan 2018

I still haven't bought and installed any vst's into reason...

I do want the UAD but they are sorta pricey being I need to also get a 4 core or 8 core processor for them. the smaller units dont seem to be enough for what I want and need. So Im saving for them. By the time I can purchase what I want, vst 3 or some newer version will be implimented and the old UAD plugins I want may not be available. :(

So Ive forced myself to wait and learn more of what Reason has to offer bone stock. I do have some rack extensions but no external vst's.

Id like serum and massive and the uad collection I pointed out but thats several grand worth of stuff.

I really want those manley pieces, pultechs, the shadow hills comp. etc.i

but what bout free vst's?

has anyone a list of say 6 to 12 they would recommend that would work in reason? I make electronic dance music if that helps. Thanks!

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

Lotus Jewel wrote:
13 Jan 2018
I really want those manley pieces, pultechs, the shadow hills comp. etc.i
Almost everyone wants these kind of things at first. I know I did. A few years ago I was always looking for the next greatest plugin that would make synths sound better or give something that special vintage mojo. Reality is, it's really all about how you use the most simple forms of these tools like compression, eq, etc. That is going to make the biggest difference.

There will be moments when making music where you will realize you need a certain functionality from a plugin and you'll go out and try to find something that suits your needs. Other than that, it's best to keep working with what you've got already.

There is a free VST thread already that is just flooded with tons of random VST that people like.
It boils down to what you actually need. You could spend hours downloading random free VST and trying to gauge it's usefulness quickly before moving on to the next free vst.

So if you're asking about free VST to download, the question is, what do you NEED?

Are you looking for a good quality saturation plugin? A EQ with certain functionality? Compressor with distinct characteristics that the stock compressor doesn't have?
Last edited by aeox on 13 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Marc64

13 Jan 2018

https://www.kvraudio.com/

search for free and 64bit

strangers
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2018

aeox wrote:
13 Jan 2018
Reality is, it's really all about how you use the most simple forms of these tools like compression, eq, etc. That is going to make the biggest difference.
This answer may not be as flashy as the sea of VST at your fingertips but it's full of truth. I came verrrry close to falling down the VST rabbit hole, especially with all of the holiday sales, until I did one simple task. Download trials, listen to what the VST is doing and then try recreating it with RE. This might even force you to use/learn RE's you never really bothered with.

The SSL EQ section is very powerful. That plus your favorite compressor(s) can get you very far. I will admit there's a VST compressor collection I'm having a hard time ignoring even though I know it's more of a want than a need. The struggle is real.

madmacman

14 Jan 2018

I have already done the tedious task of checking freebies.

And I finally ditched most of the "fancy" stuff and kept a small number of EQs and dynamics tools (compressors and limiters) for special purposes. That pretty much it.

normen

14 Jan 2018

Really, you have everything to make music and more than 99.9% musicians and producers in history ever had, including those in the 80s and 90s - you don't need any VSTs :)

Lotus Jewel

14 Jan 2018

You all speak the truth!~ And I greatly appreciate it. I have to admit, IDK what I need.... but I do know what I want. I just want a few mastering tools or high end dynamics processors... not that I do my own mastering, I consider what I do pre mastering but my goal is to avoid doing what a mastering engineer would do. There are actually just a few pieces of gear that I want and these are replicated hardware that is considered industry standard for high end studios. There is no special purpose or need. I havent used vst's so Ive got quite familiar with Reason, in my own way, I still have a lot ot learn of course. but I do have all I need in Reason already. I guess my goal is to add high end equipment to my collection because I cannot afford those specific pieces of hardware. There maybe only 6-10 vsts I actaully want or think I need to make my collections sound as good as possible before sending the projects off. I can always leave it up to the engineers but, I guess Im just considering expanding. Free vsts are nice cause it gets me unfamiliar gear to learn and maybe learn something new. but I know Reason has all I need and I do genuinely stick to in house applications. ie extensions.

The pulltecs, shadow hills, manely, or that fancy soviet compressor, I desire because after the research I did, they would add warm and gentle characteristic unique to the hardware design. Im being very very selective here in the vst list of desire. If I get this new welding gig, I will have the set before my next birthday in one pay check... but this was a new development as I havent even had the interview yet. Ill check the free list of vst to see if there is anything new and exciting...

anyone have any idea when the next version of vst code is coming out? Thanks all!

Dante

14 Jan 2018

Lotus Jewel wrote:
13 Jan 2018
I still haven't bought and installed any vst's into reason...

I do want the UAD but they are sorta pricey being I need to also get a 4 core or 8 core processor for them.
Why do you need an 8 core processor for UAD plugins - dont they run on their own Sharc processor(s) ?

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
14 Jan 2018
Really, you have everything to make music and more than 99.9% musicians and producers in history ever had, including those in the 80s and 90s - you don't need any VSTs :)
Yes, listen to him, OP.

You don't need any Rack Extensions either so don't even bother with those anymore. You should probably uninstall them. Who wants unecessary bloat?

Hell, if you haven't upgraded to R10 you really don't need to because you're all set with what you have for now and for the foreseeable future.

So just to recap - you don't need VSTs, you DEFINITELY don't need any more rack extensions, and certainly don't need to upgrade Reason because you should be all set with what you currently have. Those dudes from the 80s must be sooooooo jelly of us, with their fancy schmancy collection of classic digital reverbs and delays, their Neve this and SSL that, and their Eventide pieces of crap!

Reason 9.5 with no rack extensions and no VSTs IS WHERE IT'S AT AND WHERE IT WILL BE!!
:mrgreen:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

selig
RE Developer

14 Jan 2018

Lotus Jewel wrote: …So Ive forced myself to wait and learn more of what Reason has to offer bone stock. I do have some rack extensions but no external vst's.

Id like serum and massive and the uad collection I pointed out but thats several grand worth of stuff.

I really want those manley pieces, pultechs, the shadow hills comp. etc.
My 2 cents…
These are the comments that stand out to me. There’s a lot to be learned by using what you have and spending time to find the limitations for your work.

That approach helps in two ways, the first being you don’t end up with a bunch of new stuff to try to learn all at once, and the other is that you don’t end up with stuff you may not end up using.

One way to help decide what you need is to think of all the major areas of your production you need to cover. You will probably want drums, basses, pads, leads, maybe vocal tools. Then there are processor categories including EQ, dynamics, saturation, and FX tools.

As other have pointed out, both seriously and tongue-in-cheek, you have everything you need at a basic level in all of those categories. The question then becomes whether or not any of these areas are covering enough of the bases for you. Are the drums in Reason cutting it for your work? Is the EQ in Reason cutting it for your work? Etc...

I will always consider the sources, like drums, synths, samples, as the first thing I need to totally cover. So for example I’ll make sure my drums/percussion needs are well covered before I go on a compressor shopping spree, as the best compressor in the world wont help me build my basic tracks.

I also try to look at my setup holistically, such that there is a balance of tools across the categories. That means I won’t buy the most expensive reverb if I don’t have everything else maxed out. With that in mind, I’m always accessing my setup to see where the weak links are, and updating those categories first - and then I only update to a level that makes sense with the rest of my setup.

So I don’t have a Bricasti reverb, Burl A/Ds, or a vintage SSL console because they would all be out of line with the rest of my setup. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

15 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:
14 Jan 2018
Yes, listen to him, OP.

You don't need any Rack Extensions either so don't even bother with those anymore. You should probably uninstall them. Who wants unecessary bloat?

Hell, if you haven't upgraded to R10 you really don't need to because you're all set with what you have for now and for the foreseeable future.

So just to recap - you don't need VSTs, you DEFINITELY don't need any more rack extensions, and certainly don't need to upgrade Reason because you should be all set with what you currently have. Those dudes from the 80s must be sooooooo jelly of us, with their fancy schmancy collection of classic digital reverbs and delays, their Neve this and SSL that, and their Eventide pieces of crap!

Reason 9.5 with no rack extensions and no VSTs IS WHERE IT'S AT AND WHERE IT WILL BE!!
:mrgreen:
But OP, of course hurricane is the opposite example, he can show you his tracks and how much better they became after he finally installed a VST synth!! :mrgreen: :geek:

EnochLight

25 Jan 2018

Lotus Jewel wrote:
13 Jan 2018

has anyone a list of say 6 to 12 they would recommend that would work in reason? I make electronic dance music if that helps. Thanks!
One of the best free VST equalizers out there is TDR Nova (standard edition), by Tokyo Dawn Records. Highly recommended:

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Psuper

25 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Lotus Jewel wrote:
13 Jan 2018

One of the best free VST equalizers out there is TDR Nova (standard edition), by Tokyo Dawn Records. Highly recommended:

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

Once you try it you'll upgrade to the Gentlemens Edition. I dare you to try not to.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

EnochLight

25 Jan 2018

Psuper wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Once you try it you'll upgrade to the Gentlemens Edition. I dare you to try not to.
I only did because it made me feel like Nick Offerman having a whiskey while sitting in my favorite leather chair, next to the fire.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Psuper

25 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Psuper wrote:
25 Jan 2018
I only did because it made me feel like Nick Offerman having a whiskey while sitting in my favorite leather chair, next to the fire.
Totally, how can anyone resist an upgrade called "Gentlemans Edition"!

esselfortium

25 Jan 2018

Martin Luders' PG-8X is a great free synth emulating the Roland JX-8P. It's simple and sounds great out-of-the-box, especially when you're using its built-in chorus. I would love to have a version I could use directly in the rack.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Psuper

25 Jan 2018

Speaking of which, I used to have one call Superwave (think it was this one here: http://www.superwavesynths.com/p8)

I used it many years ago, however the sound was pretty killer at the time.

• Information