Reaktor integration with VST rack I/O

Discuss VST stuff here!
Re8et
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2017

Finally I got my Reaktor 6 copy. I have been playing around with player and other *free Reaktor ensembles for a while, with all sort of limitations. So I pushed the button.

First thing that can sound interesting to Reason users, it's the cv integration.
Good news: It's working for the most easy stuff.
Bad news: You don't have a backpanel in Reaktor... let's delve into this a bit...

The Reason VST bridge has 8 cv inputs, plus Gate, Note, Mod Wheel and Pitch bend.
8 audio input and 16 out.

Of the 8 inputs, only two inputs are working, while the other 6 will stay muted (create auxiliary/audio in port)
The 8 outputs works ok.
rekt in 3 muted.JPG
rekt in 3 muted.JPG (20.77 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
So it would be possible to use audio rates signals from the auxiliary audio inputs, but these are shut down for some reason I still ain't got.
reakt audio 2 event.JPG
reakt audio 2 event.JPG (71.01 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Could we use the 8 cv input as alternative?

Yes, if we build from the assigne parameter an event block that will translate that in a signal again.
PS. We could always use OSC and MIDI events but that is still another workaround and the purpose of this is to understand how to use the VST rack in its full.
Could we just analyze the cv signal in? I don't know if it's possible, for that I think we still need to translate the signal internally. From a knob movement for e.g. that in turn produces a pitch.

We could use tha audio in ports, but those do not work. Why? I still do not know.

Maybe we could share some .ens exemple here at some point if there is interest about it.

Happy new EVE! :essentials:
Last edited by Re8et on 30 Dec 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2017

I just learned the midi out is not working with Reason... I mean not the easy way...
I tried to see if a new midi input was availabe in the bus section. tried creating new key to find midi signal, but nope.
The Spiral sequencer is connected to send midi to the host plugin.
This method works for two other Daws..
Is there a possible workaround in sight??? *Other than run Reaktor in standalone, obviously.
reakt midi out.JPG
reakt midi out.JPG (79.25 KiB) Viewed 2541 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2017

For those interested in the OSC department, here is a nice review.

http://cdm.link/2012/11/reaktor-5-8-wit ... play-mode/

Re8et
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2017

Spiral is clocked to Reason, and run the Thor/Europa through Bus no.1.
Reaktor is in standalone mode, so at least We know it's working in the alternative way :D
spiral to reason.JPG
spiral to reason.JPG (247.59 KiB) Viewed 2521 times

kungubu

30 Dec 2017

If you put Spiral in a blocks ensemble with a UTL-NoteIn connected to terminal out ports for gate, pitch and velocity and go to the properties for Spiral and select UTL-NoteIn for MIDI Out. Then on the UTL-NoteIn you choose Channel Intern. Then you can get the midi from Spiral out as audio into Reason. Just hook the audio outs of Reasons VST Shell into a Thor, convert the audio to cv, and you're ready to go.

If you want the pitch to track better you might have to put a MIX-Level between the UTL-NoteIn and the terminal out. About -0.4 usually get it to track.

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2017

kungubu wrote:
30 Dec 2017
If you put Spiral in a blocks ensemble with a UTL-NoteIn connected to terminal out ports for gate, pitch and velocity and go to the properties for Spiral and select UTL-NoteIn for MIDI Out. Then on the UTL-NoteIn you choose Channel Intern. Then you can get the midi from Spiral out as audio into Reason. Just hook the audio outs of Reasons VST Shell into a Thor, convert the audio to cv, and you're ready to go.

If you want the pitch to track better you might have to put a MIX-Level between the UTL-NoteIn and the terminal out. About -0.4 usually get it to track.
Something like this??? mmfff. From Note.in I can select spiral or self. No output till now..
midi reak2 audio.JPG
midi reak2 audio.JPG (76.9 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Found it. tnx!!!!!! :roll:
here.JPG
here.JPG (10.18 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
Last edited by Re8et on 31 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

kungubu

31 Dec 2017

You have to select Channel "Intern" on the UTL-NoteIn.
1.png
1.png (78.72 KiB) Viewed 2498 times

kungubu

31 Dec 2017

OK, it doesn't show – like this...
4.png
4.png (117.79 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

kungubu

31 Dec 2017

And the routing looks like this...
2.png
2.png (828.43 KiB) Viewed 2494 times

kungubu

31 Dec 2017

And in Thor like this...
3.png
3.png (156.29 KiB) Viewed 2494 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2017

Everything is quite ok now, but still need some fine tuning. The Level output inside reaktor is set to -0.1, but I have a Khs Gain before thor conversion set to +11.68 db.
Then recreated a basic Mono Synth in Reaktor and put that audio through. Now I have a reference for what the real pitch should be and also an audio out.
Recreate the same Synth in Reason, now I have a little delay in the reason output, and slightly different frequencies that I have still not equalized...
Before delay fix/
Reaktor is one full note ahead, in D, while Yeh Legend is still in C/playing fast spiral seq and short decays on both.
midi delay.JPG
midi delay.JPG (314.32 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
After delay fix, with Ts-1/
slower sequencer with longer decays, this time attacks coincide.
midi delay fix.JPG
midi delay fix.JPG (243.84 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

kungubu

31 Dec 2017

Looks interesting. Still using Spiral? Usually use it with a quantizer to get more control over the pitch. But there is a lot of useful sequencers in Reaktor. The dark mod on Kodiak – https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... how/11559/ – is really quite fun to play with. And the Turing machine can also be really fun when you let it drive a couple of synths...

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2017

I am not sure, but yesterday the standalone spiral was driving europa in poly, but the audio to midi instance sounds less polyphonic... maybe it's just an impression..
I should check wire debug but I'm late on fireworks :D :D :D :D :D :D
Testing and experimenting with spiral, but I'll try the Turing machine and others as well, tchusss

dancing fool

01 Jan 2018

At last it's working here to.
I'm pretty new to reaktor. (6 months)
Made an ensemble with bentobox 8 step. (just to make it from scratch)
Put in a kilohearts gain set to -0.47 to the pitch.
And it's good from C2 to C5
Thanx for this great topic

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2018

Starting experimentation with OSC, I have some issues going on, like activating OSC in first place, and then find the OSC modules in Terminal... or like changing the receive IP... anyway, also in standalone I need to figure it out.
It seems to work for bypassing VST limitation, if we were able to send the MIDI through OSC SEND to an external receiver linked to midiloop, we could then re-enter that in Reason...
I'm a bit overoptimistic I can do that but to try don't cost me a penny....

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2018

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2018

Basic communication established and working in Standalone mode successfull.
/OSC communication in Reason VST wrapper between two istances of Reaktor, OK.
Reaktor OSC communication VST.JPG
Reaktor OSC communication VST.JPG (186.88 KiB) Viewed 2353 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2018

And finally also the re-routing was successful... Sure there's lots of stuff going on with OSC, float integers, 7bit...
Not to mention You get only one input, so I had to merge Gate and pitch... how and what exactly is going on... I have not the slightest idea...

Also we still need a standalone application to be able to output midi, but.... compared to the audio route, it seems to be snappier.... it seems...
It just happened to work now and I'm happy about it.

Here are the connections, basic reloop running in background
Mios apps courtesy ucapps.de!!
OSC reloop ok.JPG
OSC reloop ok.JPG (592.45 KiB) Viewed 2340 times

kungubu

06 Jan 2018

Re8et wrote:
06 Jan 2018
And finally also the re-routing was successful... Sure there's lots of stuff going on with OSC, float integers, 7bit...
Not to mention You get only one input, so I had to merge Gate and pitch... how and what exactly is going on... I have not the slightest idea...

Also we still need a standalone application to be able to output midi, but.... compared to the audio route, it seems to be snappier.... it seems...
It just happened to work now and I'm happy about it.

Here are the connections, basic reloop running in background
Mios apps courtesy ucapps.de!!

OSC reloop ok.JPG
In what way is it better than the audio route?

I really have no problem with audio to cv. Easy to wire up. You can get 16 signals from one Reaktor ensemble. It's quite easy even to get the pitch to track.

What are the upsides of the osc-route?

Re8et
Competition Winner

08 Jan 2018

kungubu wrote:
06 Jan 2018

What are the upsides of the osc-route?
I've been thinking about it all week-end...

Audio route is faster to set up, and from one ensemble it can output 16 midi signals, gate, pitch, velocity, af, etc.
OSC I still do not get (I need to go back study it a little) exactly how many signals can handle, X/Y/Z?
One thing is the event signal does not need pitch correction, then, it might be some ms faster than audio route, so less delay compensation stuff going on. It can be used to sync two pc's with only wi-fi and no cables at all, but that makes no difference. Audio route still wins because simplicity of setup and flexibility.
I was not certain it would have worked wrapped, but it did.
If I was to experiment with some touch interface, which I was thinking about it, it could make a lot more sense than connecting a surface with midi or even usb, that was the main reason OSC was created I guess.

• Information