Should I get Reaktor (I own Reason 9.5) ?

Discuss VST stuff here!
thedjjudah

23 Dec 2017

The name says it all...

I love Reason, but I think you can do a lot more with Reaktor. The learning curve for building your own synths in Reaktor seems to be a lot higher than anything in Reason, but I am pretty sure you can do almost anything synth-wise.

Advice?

Ahornberg

24 Dec 2017

thedjjudah wrote:
23 Dec 2017
The name says it all...

I love Reason, but I think you can do a lot more with Reaktor. The learning curve for building your own synths in Reaktor seems to be a lot higher than anything in Reason, but I am pretty sure you can do almost anything synth-wise.

Advice?
Reaktor has a huge user library https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... r-library/

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2017

Yes, you should get Reaktor if you want to build synths and grow your synthesis skills.

You know you're really not creating synths in Reason. All those who think you can, well, show me your "synth". Combinators aren't synths.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

dancing fool

24 Dec 2017

i own reason and reaktor.
And they do accompany each other perfect.
I hope that reason gets midi out for vst soon.
Then it will be more fun.

jayhosking

24 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Yes, you should get Reaktor if you want to build synths and grow your synthesis skills.

You know you're really not creating synths in Reason. All those who think you can, well, show me your "synth". Combinators aren't synths.
This post has me generating an oscillator from my throat, run through the high-pass filter of my lips, and with the amp of my diaphragm set to medium decay and no sustain. In short:

PFFFT

groggy1

25 Dec 2017

If you like tinkering ( which I guess you do since use reason), reaktor is fun.

The new blocks mode makes it much easier to get started.

thedjjudah

28 Dec 2017

Where do I download a demo? I did a search on google that directed me to Native Instruments' website, but the only options I had were downloading the demo of Komplete (which is very big) or buying Reaktor.

antic604

29 Dec 2017

Yes, definitely!

Even if you don't want to dive in coding / scripting, you can be madly creative and have lots of fun with factory Blocks or one of the dozens of blocks developed by its users.

fotizimo

29 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Combinators aren't synths.
Ok, define a synth. if i put two oscilator devices (ammo100) in a combinator with various Ochen K components such as the A-series devices, or blamsofts polymodular devices, how is that not a synthesizer? By my description, the combinator becomes a synth as I can save it, share it, and mold it as any other combinator out there.

Personally, I think it is thinking like this comment above that keeps Reason users held back from some of the best aspects of its capabilities. Buying VSTS and REs is great, but building your own synths is exactly what Reason is extremely capable of.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

selig
RE Developer

29 Dec 2017

fotizimo wrote:
hurricane wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Combinators aren't synths.
Ok, define a synth. if i put two oscilator devices (ammo100) in a combinator with various Ochen K components such as the A-series devices, or blamsofts polymodular devices, how is that not a synthesizer? By my description, the combinator becomes a synth as I can save it, share it, and mold it as any other combinator out there.

Personally, I think it is thinking like this comment above that keeps Reason users held back from some of the best aspects of its capabilities. Buying VSTS and REs is great, but building your own synths is exactly what Reason is extremely capable of.
Most Reason users don’t use CVs, and don’t build Combinators (not complex synths anyway). Same with Reaktor, an app designed exactly to build stuff.

The advantage of having Combinators and Reaktor for most folks is that OTHERS can build stuff for you, and if you’re so inclined you can modify them to better suit your needs.

Even folks like myself, who rely on Reaktor for prototyping new REs from the ground up using Core, don’t often built new devices - I’ve only built a few synths in over 15 years of use. Most of the time I’m busy making music, not instruments (I don’t build my own drums or pianos either, so there’s that!). ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

29 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
29 Dec 2017
fotizimo wrote:

Most Reason users don’t use CVs, and don’t build Combinators (not complex synths anyway). Same with Reaktor, an app designed exactly to build stuff.

The advantage of having Combinators and Reaktor for most folks is that OTHERS can build stuff for you, and if you’re so inclined you can modify them to better suit your needs.

Even folks like myself, who rely on Reaktor for prototyping new REs from the ground up using Core, don’t often built new devices - I’ve only built a few synths in over 15 years of use. Most of the time I’m busy making music, not instruments (I don’t build my own drums or pianos either, so there’s that!). ;)

Soooo..., should OP get Reaktor or not? ;) :P

Re8et
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2017

You get a 25$ discount less than 2 days left.
You got a ton of fx stuff to use it with reason
You can patch cvs into single reaktor blocks
If any ensemble got an error, it will crash reason.
If ran ouside reason, you can try fix that, and then reopen.
If you like ambient, droni soundscapes, simple answer, yes.
If you have nostromo, and Fritz, PSQ, and other cool RE's.... it depends what do you want to do with it,
you might get some amazing stuff with reason as well and might be overkill.

You can get a demo but you won't be able to access nodes.

fotizimo

29 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
29 Dec 2017

Yes, or no, maybe? I can't imagine someone shouldn't get Reaktor if they can afford it and enjoy making music.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

selig
RE Developer

29 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
29 Dec 2017
selig wrote:
29 Dec 2017

Hell yea (sorry I forgot to add that)! ;)

I'm a huge fan of Reaktor for my dev work, but also because I look at the Reaktor synths differently than other synths. Rather than judge a synth based on it's library, if one synth (or one FX) makes even ONE useful sound, it's a "go" for me! So I look at the Reaktor as the "instrument", and the "instruments" as the patches for the app) - make sense?

I came to this conclusion after first thinking some of the synths were "one trick ponies" and dismissing them. But some of those "tricks" were pretty cool, so I started looking at them differently and haven't looked back!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

groggy1

29 Dec 2017

I agree with a lot of the comments above: You can build pretty crazy instruments in Combinator, but you can also of-course build cool stuff in Reaktor. I do find Reaktor a bit overwhelming when it comes to building a synth from scratch (I can do it, but it takes hours to get something done... Very satisfying when you do though :))

About Reaktor's steep learning curve: They recently added "blocks", which are modular components that are MUCH easier to string together. They're based off of Euro-rack model, where everything is standardized. So it's easy to replace one OSC with another, and you don't have to learn as much about the quirks of a particular module to use it. So long story short, very easy to build your own synths.

The best part in Reaktor: Once you build a synth, you can make patches for it, and save them. Very satisfying to have a synth that you feel like you built, and then program patches for it.

Last thing on Reaktor: Folks said this above, but it's worth reiterating: It has a HUGE user-library available from the thousands of people that uploaded their creations. So sometimes, it's just fun to explore and see what's available if you need a new "delay", or a new synth.

So really, the only downside to Reaktor is that it can be overwhelming, but less so with recent versions and blocks...

thedjjudah

29 Dec 2017

Cool. thanks, guys!

• Information