Drum solution options

Discuss VST stuff here!
Zac

20 Dec 2017

I'm looking to trial some (non-acoustic) vst options. There seem to be so many options that I'd like to get some advice to narrow down the amount I try.

I've already tried microtonic and quite like it but there seems to be a lot of more recent options.

What I'm not looking for is something where i have to browse a million samples just to put a kit together. I need something that fairly simply allows me to get a coordinated kit together. Don't mind synthesis or sample based or both. Just want browse kits the way you can in kong but better than the current kong options.

demt

23 Dec 2017

As you like Kong why don't you add grid64g to it and let isten to it take off!!!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2017

I'm not going to give you detailed overviews of each, but here are some options:

Battery has a shit-ton of kits and sounds great. I believe there is a $25 voucher out there you can use. No sequencer though. Factory library is diverse. A classic.

Nerve is an edm powerhouse that comes with fantastic samples. Lots of kits too. Has a sequencer. And Deadmau5.

Spark 2 is the most "reasony" in my opinion, and it also comes with lots of kits and there are many expansions available.

Breaktweaker is prob the more interesting option, although it is somewhat hard on the CPU but is very versatile and sounds amazing. It's more than just a drum machine. Solid library too.

Rob Papen's Punch. I don't like his synths because they are thin and weak like all of Propellerhead's synths (yeah I had to get that in), but his drum machine is special. Lots of presets.

Polyplex is underrated and a worthy addition because it sounds polished, thick, strong, and powerful. And if you're a tweaker you'll like it. And it runs in the free reaktor player too.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Zac

24 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
23 Dec 2017
I'm not going to give you detailed overviews of each, but here are some options:

Battery has a shit-ton of kits and sounds great. I believe there is a $25 voucher out there you can use. No sequencer though. Factory library is diverse. A classic.

Nerve is an edm powerhouse that comes with fantastic samples. Lots of kits too. Has a sequencer. And Deadmau5.

Spark 2 is the most "reasony" in my opinion, and it also comes with lots of kits and there are many expansions available.

Breaktweaker is prob the more interesting option, although it is somewhat hard on the CPU but is very versatile and sounds amazing. It's more than just a drum machine. Solid library too.

Rob Papen's Punch. I don't like his synths because they are thin and weak like all of Propellerhead's synths (yeah I had to get that in), but his drum machine is special. Lots of presets.

Polyplex is underrated and a worthy addition because it sounds polished, thick, strong, and powerful. And if you're a tweaker you'll like it. And it runs in the free reaktor player too.
Thanks. I keep seeing polyplex going cheap so will def. try that. Nerve and Spark 2 hadn't come up on my radar so that's 2 more to look into :/

I want to get this right so will try them all.

Thanks demt, i already use redrum hooked up to kong for sequencing and am quite happy with it. Will have a look at grid thoough.

demt

24 Dec 2017

zok breaktweakers a riot though
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

CaliforniaBurrito

24 Dec 2017

I just want to try Wave Alchemy Revolution.

ekss
RE Developer

24 Dec 2017

Since I like to think about the rack as a hardware-clone I really love this refill from Jiggery Pokery:

http://www.jiggery-pokery.com/kok.html

Zac

24 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Isn't that mainly drum machines? Since vsts i have a number of the free drum machines and have kept my faves. Still wish they were REs for easy routing but can't complain.

I'm still on 9.5 but wonder if the kong kits that come with the optional content in R10 might meet my needs? If they are consistently organised, always kick, snare, hi-hats on the same pad numbers so i can program a beat and then swap kits to audition them that would be at least some of the way to what i want...

Thanks ekss, i have and like kok. Especially like the Linn and 606 kits.

eusti

24 Dec 2017

Zac wrote:
24 Dec 2017
CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Isn't that mainly drum machines? Since vsts i have a number of the free drum machines and have kept my faves. Still wish they were REs for easy routing but can't complain.

I'm still on 9.5 but wonder if the kong kits that come with the optional content in R10 might meet my needs? If they are consistently organised, always kick, snare, hi-hats on the same pad numbers so i can program a beat and then swap kits to audition them that would be at least some of the way to what i want...

Thanks ekss, i have and like kok. Especially like the Linn and 606 kits.
Wave Alchemy just released a new instrument that is less of a tradtional drum machine called Evolution: https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/evolution/pid182/ that might fit what you're looking for...

D.

CaliforniaBurrito

24 Dec 2017

eusti wrote:
24 Dec 2017
Wave Alchemy just released a new instrument that is less of a tradtional drum machine called Evolution: https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/evolution/pid182/ that might fit what you're looking for...
So strange of them to release a "Revolution" along with "Evolution" as they are similar names. I don't think that was a very sharp decision on their part. :crazy:

eusti

24 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
24 Dec 2017

So strange of them to release a "Revolution" along with "Evolution" as they are similar names. I don't think that was a very sharp decision on their part. :crazy:
I agree. People commenting were confused how they were related / different... Wastes a lot of energy...

D.

• Information