VK-1 Viking Synthesizer

Discuss VST stuff here!
ltbrunt00

13 Dec 2017

Congrats....I will now buy this RE and get the VST.

Is there an ETA for when VK-2 and Zero will arrive as an VST.

I use VK-2 and Zero in everything these days. I would without a doubt buy these two in VST format at full price if need be.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

FLVZ

13 Dec 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Congrats....I will now buy this RE and get the VST.

Is there an ETA for when VK-2 and Zero will arrive as an VST.

I use VK-2 and Zero in everything these days. I would without a doubt buy these two in VST format at full price if need be.
VK2 in VST form or even Zero I imagine would be powerhouses. Hopefully they'd come with additional functionality with no SDK constraints, definitely don't mind buying VK2 again, don't think theres many better sounding analog softsynths out there tbh!

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2017

Galaxy wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Wtf, how are people on KVR bashing this? It's an incredible instrument. My only gripe is that nothing earlier than 10.12 is supported, so makes no sense to get it. Other than that, the GUI is pro, the sound is pro, what's to batch about?
Ok, let's be real. It's a mono synth. It has no onboard effects. And the GUI does look a little synthedity. Maybe in Reason's world that's fine, but in KVR-land? People who have played with almost every VST in existence? Of course they're going to compare Viking to all "their" VSTs. And if we're being honest, Viking, OUTSIDE of Reason, just needs "MORE".
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

chaosroyale

13 Dec 2017

I dunno, KVR threads are usually dumpster fires and that one was no exception.

TLDR; synth that doesn't claim to be an exact replica isn't an exact replica, therefore it is useless and sucks. Also people with very iffy "expert opinions" about filters. I guarantee I could make a hard-hitting industrial techno bass line with that thing, or smooth creamy bladerunner drones, so what is the problem? You don't like filters that aren't exactly the same as a vintage Ladder filter? OK, don't use it then, but it seems like a very specific complaint for a cheap VST synth.

GUI > it's fine, there are more expensive synths with much worse.

Mono > for many kinds of music, mono synths are exactly what you want.

No effects > for me built-in effects on most synths are basically bloatware, I don't need them or want them, I have plenty of better effects. Blamsofts strength is certainly not in that area, so why half-ass it unless you're going to have some really incredible effects that would be just as good as stand-alone VSTs.

It's a good sounding synth in a similar role to "The Legend" -which everyone including me likes, and at half the price! Much less if you really take advantage of "pay what you want"...For anyone looking for a decent monosynth and maybe not wishing to splash out on the Legend it's great value. Would more depth be better - for me certainly but I guess that's why the VK-2 exists.

moalla

13 Dec 2017

At gearn..s they annonced, that now you could download VK1 Synth for the price you want to pay, so propellerheads earns nothing on this device for now :lol:
http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer/

But i don´t mean this in a sarcastic way, at a point where music production get´s more and more
technorized and automated, like Landr and so on, the job of a recording engineer is no longer needed mostly.

There will be a big paradigm shift on the value of Musicproduction in the next years.

At the end music get´s more and more democratised and music production gets cheaper of costs than ever,
if i look on friendlies artists how are producing stuff as ghostproducer for some major labels, they
mostly work with inexpensive stuff arround two or three tousand bugs, for their hole equipment.

At that point i must say, if the market was growing, it seems fine for a lot of competitors,
but the growing was mostly chased by people, how are interessted in musicians stuff but not musicians at all.

Now there comes a big consolidation in the market, like cakewalks fate shows us

So try and maybe buy this synth
IT´S SERVED
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Nirude

14 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
13 Dec 2017
And the GUI does look a little synthedity.
Do you mean the design and layout or the rendered image?
3d man.

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2017

I guess I mean "synthedity" as the generic word for "homemade" or "cheap-looking" or "a GUI from the early 2000s", like these:
Serenity_3.jpg
Serenity_3.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
STS-24_3.jpg
STS-24_3.jpg (193.43 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
ProtoPlasm_3.jpg
ProtoPlasm_3.jpg (167.79 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

14 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
14 Dec 2017
I guess I mean "synthedity" as the generic word for "homemade" or "cheap-looking" or "a GUI from the early 2000s", like these:

Serenity_3.jpg

STS-24_3.jpg

ProtoPlasm_3.jpg
Those look fantastic - I'd love to have them in my rack. :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2017

See? It fits right in with those:

viking.jpg
viking.jpg (502.61 KiB) Viewed 4731 times

As opposed to something a little more sleek:

mini.jpg
mini.jpg (420.18 KiB) Viewed 4731 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2017

Ha! if you think those look fantastic, then your Omnisphere gui critique is hereby invalidated.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

14 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
14 Dec 2017
EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2017

Ha! if you think those look fantastic, then your Omnisphere gui critique is hereby invalidated.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was kidding. That said, Omnisphere's GUI/UX is growing on me... little, anyway. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fieldframe
RE Developer

14 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
14 Dec 2017

Serenity_3.jpg

STS-24_3.jpg

ProtoPlasm_3.jpg
I'm not entirely sure why you're showing three low-res, 2D Synthedit UIs created in Photoshop, and then a 3D, photorealistic, high-resolution Arturia UI, and saying the 3D, photorealistic high-resolution UI from Blamsoft looks more like the former.

Ok, I'm being facetious here and I know you meant that it's a grid of knobs on a gray background, but my point stands. :) It's a much better-looking grid of knobs on a gray background.

To be fair, I would say VK-1's layout is not quite as easy to follow as the Minimoog's clearly separated groups and left-to-right flow. But it's still way better than the convoluted mess of Serenity.

strangers
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2017

chaosroyale wrote:
13 Dec 2017
I dunno, KVR threads are usually dumpster fires and that one was no exception.

TLDR; synth that doesn't claim to be an exact replica isn't an exact replica, therefore it is useless and sucks. Also people with very iffy "expert opinions" about filters. I guarantee I could make a hard-hitting industrial techno bass line with that thing, or smooth creamy bladerunner drones, so what is the problem? You don't like filters that aren't exactly the same as a vintage Ladder filter? OK, don't use it then, but it seems like a very specific complaint for a cheap VST synth.

GUI > it's fine, there are more expensive synths with much worse.

Mono > for many kinds of music, mono synths are exactly what you want.

No effects > for me built-in effects on most synths are basically bloatware, I don't need them or want them, I have plenty of better effects. Blamsofts strength is certainly not in that area, so why half-ass it unless you're going to have some really incredible effects that would be just as good as stand-alone VSTs.

It's a good sounding synth in a similar role to "The Legend" -which everyone including me likes, and at half the price! Much less if you really take advantage of "pay what you want"...For anyone looking for a decent monosynth and maybe not wishing to splash out on the Legend it's great value. Would more depth be better - for me certainly but I guess that's why the VK-2 exists.
I'm on the same page as this logic. Built in effects are nice and convenient but not a necessity. Pretty sure everyone has an endless sea of reverbs, filters, chorus, etc. so built in effects aren't a must.

As for a synth looking cheap or from the year 2000... Who cares? The look doesn't affect functionality or sound so why let something so minuscule hold you back from a great product? The Interwebz are a funny place.

Blamsoft
RE Developer

16 Dec 2017

Please make sure you download version 1.0.2d7. There were some bug fixes.

http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer

Blast

17 Dec 2017

Are my ears fooling me or does the VST version sounds better?

eXode

18 Dec 2017

Blast wrote:
17 Dec 2017
From the blamsoft site:

"New for VST
The graphics of VK-1 have been completely redone with Retina support. Using experience gained over the past several years, the sound quality has been enhanced to sound more rich, smooth, and creamy."

Bumbum

18 Dec 2017

eXode wrote:
18 Dec 2017
Blast wrote:
17 Dec 2017
From the blamsoft site:

"New for VST
The graphics of VK-1 have been completely redone with Retina support. Using experience gained over the past several years, the sound quality has been enhanced to sound more rich, smooth, and creamy."
:D i hope blamsoft used vegan cream..

moneykube

18 Dec 2017

Blamsoft wrote:
16 Dec 2017
Please make sure you download version 1.0.2d7. There were some bug fixes.

http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer
this is an update I take it?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Blast

18 Dec 2017

eXode wrote:
18 Dec 2017
Blast wrote:
17 Dec 2017
From the blamsoft site:

"New for VST
is there any chance of an update to the :re: Version? I still would prefer the :re:.

AttenuationHz

22 Dec 2017

Does anyone else's bug out when you connect and Modulate with CV?

The sound seems to still play and the animation for the VST is fine for me but Reasons animations, Fader Lamps etc all freeze or slow down.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

03 Jan 2018

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Fretless Fingers

04 Jan 2018

Galaxy wrote:Wtf, how are people on KVR bashing this? It's an incredible instrument. My only gripe is that nothing earlier than 10.12 is supported, so makes no sense to get it. Other than that, the GUI is pro, the sound is pro, what's to batch about?
While nothing earlier is officially supported I did the entire add video in OSX Yosemite. There where some major issues at one point but they all seemed hammered out before release. I haven’t had a crash on any recent version let alone any bugs. Try it out yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

AttenuationHz

04 Jan 2018

Fretless Fingers wrote:
04 Jan 2018
Galaxy wrote:Wtf, how are people on KVR bashing this? It's an incredible instrument. My only gripe is that nothing earlier than 10.12 is supported, so makes no sense to get it. Other than that, the GUI is pro, the sound is pro, what's to batch about?
While nothing earlier is officially supported I did the entire add video in OSX Yosemite. There where some major issues at one point but they all seemed hammered out before release. I haven’t had a crash on any recent version let alone any bugs. Try it out yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about the one in the above video?

Michaellos

10 Jan 2018

Blamsoft , Do you have any plans to release Expanse as VST ?

EnochLight

10 Jan 2018

I'd almost say it's too much of a crowded market with wave-table synth options out there to do that, but then again - VK-1 is also in a crowded market. Might be cool to do a "pay what you want" option for Expanse VST, though!

• Information