VK-1 Viking Synthesizer

Discuss VST stuff here!
Blamsoft
RE Developer

11 Dec 2017

Introducing VK-1 Viking Synthesizer VST. The VST version features new graphics, DSP enhancements, and Synthwave presets by eXode. VK-1 VST is Pay What You Want! It requires macOS 10.12 or newer or 64 bit Windows XP or newer. Download at http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer.

fotizimo

12 Dec 2017

Blamsoft wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Introducing VK-1 Viking Synthesizer VST. The VST version features new graphics, DSP enhancements, and Synthwave presets by eXode. VK-1 VST is Pay What You Want! It requires macOS 10.12 or newer or 64 bit Windows XP or newer. Download at http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer.
Hey there,

Congratulations on the release. As someone who participated i the beta, this has been a great experience to see the awesome communication from Blamsoft with their user base, and incredibly rapid pace of development. Most issues I saw brought up were fixed within a day or two. Really amazing work!

Do you plan to release this beyond your own site in the future?
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Blamsoft
RE Developer

12 Dec 2017

At this time there are no plans to release it outside the website.

Loque

12 Dec 2017

What does this mean
Using experience gained over the past several years, the sound quality has been enhanced to sound more rich, smooth, and creamy
Compared to the RE?
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

12 Dec 2017

I really hope VST is a positive experience for Blamsoft.

If you find pay-what-you-want isn't being what you need, here's a couple of unsolicited thoughts:
- while I appreciate the sentiment of pure pay-what-you-want when I've encountered it before, it also means that suddenly my task has changed from "buy this album" to "have a deep conversation with myself about the value of art, the value of this art, my own circumstances and the nature of capitalism and the human condition itself", which then takes up more time than I'd like it to because I overthink. But I also understand that setting a minimum price has its own psychological value problems.

- One thing I appreciate about Valhalla (among many things) is their pricing. Not only that it's constant and without discount sale prices to consider, but that it's a round $50. Sean does not indulge in $49.99 or even $49 tomfoolery, which actually creates a stronger sense of honesty and fairness and simplicity in the pricing*. It also credits the buyer with not being an idiot. So I think that might be a good approach to take as a price recommendation, too. It has the added advantage of making the buyer think in round figures and they have to make the leap of breaking into the $10 bill themselves.
Also, we know that € ≠ $, which only adds to the price riddle ^_^

*A few big retailers do random pricing, where you price the thing - camera, sofa, whatever - at a totally meaningless figure like £314.61, so that the shopper thinks "it must be the absolute cheapest they can possibly make it! How else would they arrive at such a figure?" And thus, a sense of honesty and great value is (supposedly) created. I can't help but think it doesn't work very well because not many places do it.

Galaxy

12 Dec 2017

What was the decision to only support OS 10.12 or later? Not much backwards compatibility headroom. Guess there's no crossgrade or free offer to those who bought the RE version, cause the pwyw.

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 Dec 2017

Galaxy wrote:
12 Dec 2017
What was the decision to only support OS 10.12 or later? Not much backwards compatibility headroom. Guess there's no crossgrade or free offer to those who bought the RE version, cause the pwyw.
You can make it a Crossgrade What You Want offer!

Galaxy

12 Dec 2017

Ya but then I'd have to upgrade to seaira. Nope.

EnochLight

12 Dec 2017

Blamsoft wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Congrats on your first VST release, man! I saw the thread over at KVR. Good luck - those peeps are a hard crowd to please sometimes. Ugh...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fotizimo

12 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
12 Dec 2017

Congrats on your first VST release, man! I saw the thread over at KVR. Good luck - those peeps are a hard crowd to please sometimes. Ugh...
Honestly, KVR could give someone cancer if they spent too much time there. I have never found a worse place to spend my time than that site. They represent the SJW of the synth community. So many bandwagon followers fighting against so many product evangelicals versus hardware gurus and theoretical geniuses. Everyone is better than each other there and since their favourite synth does what they want, anything new or different is absolute trash.

My recommendations to anyone visiting there right now... VCVRACK IS BETTER THAN GOD AND YOU ARE AN IMBECILE IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT AND GIVE THE DEVELOPERS ALL OF YOUR MONEY, ITS FREE BUT I PUT A MORTGAGE ON MY HOUSE FOR IT!!!!!!!

Blamsoft, this is a great, high quality instrument, and hope you have plans to bring some of your other REs to the VST format.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

Exowildebeest

12 Dec 2017

I'm pretty sure the resonance/filter self oscillation is bugged - it raises the volume by about 17db compared to the RE's 4db (100% resonance compared to 0, at least on the simple patch I tried). That makes the transition to self-osillation when raising the resonance very ugly.

EdGrip

12 Dec 2017

I didn't get the "Reason community = breast implant community" thing on KVR. Something something silicone?

fotizimo

12 Dec 2017

EdGrip wrote:
12 Dec 2017
I didn't get the "Reason community = breast implant community" thing on KVR. Something something silicone?
I closed the browser tab at that very point, as there is a diminishing point of value once comments like that are made.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

moneykube

12 Dec 2017

yes pretty nasty there on kvr... wow...
ok... this looks like an update from the test beta we were testing?... well more they were testing... I did not test it as much as I would have liked but was swamped with stuff... I found no problems in my limited testing window
:puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

EnochLight

12 Dec 2017

EdGrip wrote:
12 Dec 2017
He’s a regular troll who likes to stir things up. His opinion carries about as much weight as a wet fart.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

moneykube

12 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
12 Dec 2017
He’s a regular troll who likes to stir things up. His opinion carries about as much weight as a wet fart.
:lol: :roll: perhaps kvr should be charged double pay what u want
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

joeyluck

12 Dec 2017

Question regarding the GUI...

Since Moog discontinued the Voyager, is it safe now to go back to using the old color scheme for the RE and VST?
Behringer went ahead with practically identical colors and look of the Moog Model D on their Behringer D.

Looks like the VST at least got knobs similar to the older RE version. Not sure I like the angle of the knobs though.

It would be cool to see the old colors again. Maybe have it be switchable? Would be more reminiscent not only of the Voyager, but the earlier days when VK-1 hit the Propellerhead shop :) And now it's possible to have switchable panels if that was the route you might choose.

Congrats on the new release :thumbs_up:

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2017

Yes please on the alternate GUI skin. I really liked the "old" look and I prefer it. The silver GUI is cold and sterile, IMO. Love the synth though.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

eXode

13 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
12 Dec 2017

Since Moog discontinued the Voyager, is it safe now to go back to using the old color scheme for the RE and VST?
Behringer went ahead with practically identical colors and look of the Moog Model D on their Behringer D.
First of all, the model d is a 50 year old design. Secondly, it was not the same Moog company today that created it, so they simply don't hold any rights to it anymore. You simply cannot compare that with that the voyager is now discontinued. Sorry. :)

Galaxy

13 Dec 2017

Wtf, how are people on KVR bashing this? It's an incredible instrument. My only gripe is that nothing earlier than 10.12 is supported, so makes no sense to get it. Other than that, the GUI is pro, the sound is pro, what's to batch about?

joeyluck

13 Dec 2017

eXode wrote:
13 Dec 2017
joeyluck wrote:
12 Dec 2017

First of all, the model d is a 50 year old design. Secondly, it was not the same Moog company today that created it, so they simply don't hold any rights to it anymore. You simply cannot compare that with that the voyager is now discontinued. Sorry. :)
Gotcha. Just read up on it a little bit. Will have to read more about it. Interesting stuff for sure.

I was aware of the company history, but wasn't aware of the product rights and how they were handled. I knew Bob Moog had reacquired the company name trademark. And I was aware that Moog had recently reissued a limited production of the Model D, so I guess I assumed they still had the rights to it... And although I believe they stopped production, there are plenty of new Moog Model D's out there being sold. But even the previous company owners don't hold the rights? And Moog couldn't reclaim them with their reissue? Sorry, I can of course read about this more soon. It's intriguing.

And I understand the Voyager was an updated version / new take on the original Minimoog when they started back up; which they don't have the rights to the model D it's based on... But I guess they have the rights to the variation on it (i.e. the new layout, design, colors in that exact configuration)? The blue and red switches look to be about the same, which seem to be fair game in general. Is there a rule for how much can be similar? Is any of it really protected? Or in cases like this, is it just developers trying to be accommodating to others for the sake of not pissing people off? Or could they even demand at this stage that a developer cease distributing a product that at all attempts in any way to emulate, replicate, or resemble their product?

eXode

13 Dec 2017

I don't know exactly how it all works either but I know that there's something called trade dress infringement in the US.

Not related to VK-1 but speaking of rights etc, Moog didn't hold rights to the name moog/minimoog in Britain when the voyager was released so it was called Voyager by Bob Moog. You can read about it in the SoS review.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/vo ... y-bob-moog

joeyluck

13 Dec 2017

eXode wrote:
13 Dec 2017
I don't know exactly how it all works either but I know that there's something called trade dress infringement in the US.

Not related to VK-1 but speaking of rights etc, Moog didn't hold rights to the name moog/minimoog in Britain when the voyager was released so it was called Voyager by Bob Moog. You can read about it in the SoS review.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/vo ... y-bob-moog
I've heard about trade dress in terms of intellectual property... Which was something I think about in terms of when Moog recently reissued their Model D...

I would think either they (Moog) might be infringing on the trade dress of the previous owners with the Model D reissue...or the rights were reacquired...or somehow nobody had the rights any longer...but maybe Moog's Model D reissue superseded all of that? Maybe making Behringer's recreation an infringement of Moog's 2016 reissue? But I guess that's not the case. Maybe the Model D is like public domain now?

I guess Blamsoft's VK-1 can technically be argued as also being a spinoff of the Model D, and just so happens to share characteristics with the Voyager, such as layout and features...but is ultimately based on something nobody technically has the rights to; incorporating features that nobody has specific rights to...

Thanks for the link. I'll read up on it :)

Loque

13 Dec 2017

Galaxy wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Wtf, how are people on KVR bashing this? It's an incredible instrument. My only gripe is that nothing earlier than 10.12 is supported, so makes no sense to get it. Other than that, the GUI is pro, the sound is pro, what's to batch about?
It doesnt sound like "Serum" :lol:

But nice to read, that they are p!ssed, that they cannot use VK-2 or eXpanse ;)
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

13 Dec 2017

Even if they could, they'd only moan that they're not Serum.

• Information