Arturia V Collection 6

Discuss VST stuff here!
fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Dec 2017

Arturia just announced a new version of the V Collection, their suite of meticulously re-created vintage synths (and organs, electric pianos, and a piano because why not):

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... n/overview

They have four new products this time around: Buchla Easel V, DX7 V, CMI V, and Clavinet V.

The DX7 is probably of less interest to Reason users who have PX7, and Bitley customers are well-stocked on Fairlight sounds, but as usual, Arturia has made some interesting extensions to each instrument that might still be worth a look, such as including additional waveforms and a mod matrix on the DX7.

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2017

This was an instant buy for me.

I'm actually interested the most in the CMI and DX7 even though I have PX7 and Bitley's refill.

When it comes to Arturia and their updates, I'm actually excited to see MORE synths.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

geronimo

05 Dec 2017

:wtf: Easel Buchla for me _ :clap:

jayhosking

05 Dec 2017

How is this, altogether? I'd much rather buy Oberheim and CS-80 and piano sounds through the RE store, but since they're scarce and this is one big bundle of potentially interesting sounds, I'm curious.

AzureEyes

05 Dec 2017

Going to get this in feb...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

FlowerSoldier

05 Dec 2017

Damn....IMO Arturia makes some of the best sounding synths in the game. This is tempting. If you haven't tried the Arturia stuff, I'd recommend it.

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2017

Nice. There are more piano models in the new V2 update. And I don't know if this is psychological, but I swear Piano V2 sounds better:

Piano V (the "old" version):
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 8.47.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 8.47.02 PM.png (26.95 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
The new updated Piano V2:
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 8.46.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 8.46.10 PM.png (36 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
EDIT: Yes, WOW it sounds BETTER. This is almost in Pianoteq category. At least the new Japanese Grand - I can't believe how much more realistic and rich this piano sounds compared to any from Piano V.

EDIT 2: Aha:
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.05.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.05.37 PM.png (41.07 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

05 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
05 Dec 2017
Nice. There are more piano models in the new V2 update. And I don't know if this is psychological, but I swear Piano V2 sounds better:
It does! The original sounds better than Radical but I could never choose it over sampled pianos. This new version sounds great!

Here's a sound demo of the presets playing classics

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Dec 2017

jayhosking wrote:
05 Dec 2017
How is this, altogether? I'd much rather buy Oberheim and CS-80 and piano sounds through the RE store, but since they're scarce and this is one big bundle of potentially interesting sounds, I'm curious.
I own version 5, and if you like tweaking, exploring, and experimenting, there’s nothing like it. If you’re looking for a big palette of presets, the V Collection also delivers that, with literally thousands of patches, but if you tend to stick to presets, there’s actually a much cheaper option in Arturia Analog Lab. Analog Lab is all the presets of the V Collection (and all the underlying synth models without any UIs) for $99, which is actually kind of a ridiculous deal compared to some of the sample libraries you can get.

Loque

06 Dec 2017

Launch offer and upgrade price is the same...and ppl complain about price politics of PH :-D
Reason12, Win10

jayhosking

06 Dec 2017

fieldframe wrote:
05 Dec 2017
I own version 5, and if you like tweaking, exploring, and experimenting, there’s nothing like it. If you’re looking for a big palette of presets, the V Collection also delivers that, with literally thousands of patches, but if you tend to stick to presets, there’s actually a much cheaper option in Arturia Analog Lab. Analog Lab is all the presets of the V Collection (and all the underlying synth models without any UIs) for $99, which is actually kind of a ridiculous deal compared to some of the sample libraries you can get.
Hang on, what? I mean, I'm a tinkerer more than a preset guy, but you're telling me they give all the presets (just no UI or tweaking) for a quarter of the price? Even the pianos and organs and such? That's a ridiculous deal for this many libraries, especially for things I can't find in REs yet (c'mon RE makers, please please please).

I'm looking at the Analog Lab page now and it seems like that's what it is. Well, not all the presets, but 6000 from all the different units in the collection. I worry about control over things like filters and such (I imagine it like a combinator that can't be opened), but I'll look into it.

And just to confirm, do you like the patches? I'm especially interested in the Oberheim, CS-80, and more piano, but the Moog/ARP2600/Vox/Farfisa/and more certainly wouldn't go amiss!

skie

06 Dec 2017

I just bought the V 5 collection. Is it possible just to upgrade the Piano module only??

Thanks!

jayhosking

06 Dec 2017

Spent far too long playing around with the demo for Analog Lab last night. Some thoughts:

- The CS80 sounds phenomenal, better than I could have hoped
- The Farfisa and Vox also sound really great
- The pianos are nice, but relatively same-sounding within the two main categories (grand and upright)
- Surprised at how I didn't care much for some of the synths, but then I'm spoiled by the Legend and VK-2
- Overall, the sounds in this package are quite good, BUT

- The UI is pretty horrible and uninspiring to me, albeit well organized and easy to navigate
- The sustain pedal doesn't work for the pianos (it works with other instruments, but not the acoustic pianos; found confirmation of this on the Arturia boards), which is pretty much a dealbreaker for me right now
- The assigned knobs and faders don't seem to do anything on some of the patches in some cases, and in other cases they're assigned to parameters that aren't particularly useful (e.g. a filter cutoff on one oscillator, but no master filter cutoff)

For $100 it's probably worth it, and I like the idea of little $8 refills for the collection. But man, this is a great example of how I'd gladly pay more for this stuff to be in RE format. And the broken sustain pedal for pianos is a major bummer.

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2017

jayhosking wrote:
06 Dec 2017

- The sustain pedal doesn't work for the pianos (it works with other instruments, but not the acoustic pianos; found confirmation of this on the Arturia boards), which is for pianos is a major bummer.
Interesting because it works for me. Standalone and plugin (in Logic).
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

jayhosking

06 Dec 2017

Interesting. I tried both standalone and in Reason and had no luck, even though it worked with their Rhodes clone and other synths etc.

I'm using a Nektar Panorama P6. I wonder if there's some issue with Nektar products and Arturia.

fieldframe
RE Developer

06 Dec 2017

skie wrote:
06 Dec 2017
I just bought the V 5 collection. Is it possible just to upgrade the Piano module only??

Thanks!
I didn't think it would be, but I just logged into my Arturia account, and the buy button on the Piano V2 product page shows up as a quite reasonable $20 upgrade.

skie

06 Dec 2017

Wicked!! Can't wait to try this out!

skie

06 Dec 2017

Wicked!! Can't wait to try this out!

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2017

I have no problems whatsoever with the sustain pedal in Piano V2. My controller is a Studiologic SL990. I didn't mess around with any settings either, it just worked.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

06 Dec 2017

hurricane wrote:
06 Dec 2017
jayhosking wrote:
06 Dec 2017

- The sustain pedal doesn't work for the pianos (it works with other instruments, but not the acoustic pianos; found confirmation of this on the Arturia boards), which is for pianos is a major bummer.
Interesting because it works for me. Standalone and plugin (in Logic).
hurricane wrote:
06 Dec 2017
I have no problems whatsoever with the sustain pedal in Piano V2. My controller is a Studiologic SL990. I didn't mess around with any settings either, it just worked.
In Reason as well?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2017

Yup - works fine in Reason.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

jayhosking

06 Dec 2017

Thought it might be an issue of updating drivers or software or something (there are very few options in the program itself), so I tried to log into the Arturia Software Center (a bundled application with Analog Lab), but it's been telling me "Can't connect to the Arturia servers" all day. This is zero fun and EXACTLY why I prefer REs, hah. But for a decent-sounding bundle like this at the same price as the Legend (and in lieu of no viable alternative for these synths in Reason), I'm going to keep banging my head against it. Let's hope there's a fix for this sustain pedal issue.

jayhosking

06 Dec 2017

It's also been really illuminating to read people on Arturia forums and pages griping about customer service, much the same as people have done around here. Apparently they have no grace period for upgrades (i.e. so if you upgraded to V5 a couple of weeks before V6 launched, you have to pay full amount for another upgrade to get V6. The world is full of gripes!

geronimo

07 Dec 2017

skie wrote:
06 Dec 2017
To customers who have purchased V Collection 5 in the past six weeks, they are offering a grace period.
You have to contact them: sales_DOT_support_AT_arturia_DOT_com

jayhosking

07 Dec 2017

That's so great to hear. Why am I not surprised that people were complaining about this without actually checking in?

• Information